Profile for Pete F. > Reviews

Content by Pete F.
Top Reviewer Ranking: 906

Pete F. (Ayrshire, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Silhouette Fabric Blade, Blue
Silhouette Fabric Blade, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheaper alternative to previous blade, 21 Dec 2014
I bought this blade after having read several articles where it was stated that this was exactly the same as the Grey Blade apart from the colour.

I must admit that my decision was based on price above all else and I haven't noticed any difference when cutting with this blade. I do think the cost of these blades is a bit steep though and I intend to try the Aluminium Blade Holders available on auction sites next time.

This purchase was a good, cheaper alternative to my previous blade and was delivered promptly.

Beurer BF800BLK Health Manager Diagnostic Bathroom Scales with Bluetooth Smart
Beurer BF800BLK Health Manager Diagnostic Bathroom Scales with Bluetooth Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product that can do much more than just weigh you, 21 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These scales are excellent. They look really good and they are dead easy to set-up. I downloaded the free Beurer HealthManager app. from the Apple App Store, set it up with my personal data and paired the scales to my iPhone 5s. The Bluetooth connection was very quick and the app. is easy to use. I like the fact that you can record any medications in your personal data and that you can calculate things like BMI and Bone Mass (although I'm still learning about these additional measurements).

The quick start guide provides just the right amount of information to get you up and running within about 5 - 10 minutes of unpacking the scales and you also get a more in depth user manual.

The scales have a neat black glass surface to stand on which is easy to wipe clean and the LED display is very clear and easy to read. As well as having three AAA batteries supplied with the scales there are a handy set of additional feet which can be put on if using the scales on a carpet.

If I had to say anything negative about this product it would be that the underside of the scales are made of plastic and it seems like it might not stand up to rough handling, I say this because on two occasions when I picked the scales up in a hurry, using only one hand to grab them, there was some ominous creaking/cracking sounds from the back cover (but NO cracks or splits were apparent).

These are definitely high quality bluetooth scales which can work with other Beurer products to give a very detailed picture of health and fitness.

Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System
Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System

4.0 out of 5 stars Made to Philips usual high standards, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was ordered for my daughter to try out as she has managed to cut herself quite badly when using razors in the past. It is a compact little unit that is easy to hold and operate. You are restricted to using the device near to an electric socket because it is corded but it is a fairly useable length of cable being 1.8m long.

I was surprised by the noise of the fan when the Lumea Compact is in use which, although not really noisy, could be heard in the next room (I would guess that it is about a third as loud as a hairdryer). A further surprise was the flash of light emitted each time the flash button is pressed, this is a very bright red light and even when the skin contact surface is pressed fully against the skin the light can be quite plainly seen at every flash. The built in safety mechanism, which only allows the flash to work when the Lumea Compact is held against the skin, is a really good idea.

One thing that did concern me a little was the extensive list of circumstances under which this device should not be used but I guess that nowadays manufacturers have to cover every eventuality. For example; if your skin has been exposed to strong sunlight or artificial tanning during the past two weeks, if you use medicines that make your skin more sensitive to light (this can include aspirins and ibuprofens), if you are pregnant or nursing and it must not be used on tattoos or permanent makeup areas, dark spots such as large freckles, birthmarks, moles or warts and these are just a few of the restrictions specifically mentioned.

So, once satisfied that it is safe for you to use, all that's left to do is to perform a skin test prior to use. This done, wait 24 hours to see if you have any adverse reactions, if not then you are okay to start treating that particular area, each different area requires a skin test and a 24 hour wait. This may seem like an awful lot of preparation but personally I think it pays to err on the side of caution with any new treatment that you intend to undergo.

Anyhow, thankfully I'm not a female so I don't need to worry about unwanted hair, I can let my daughter do that. Philips say that results can be seen in as little as two treatments, two weeks apart but as yet there is no conclusive evidence either way. Maybe it's a little too early to comment on the effectiveness of this device but I can say that it's a neat little gadget that appears to be made to Philips usual high standards and it's dead easy to set up and use.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 400 Premium Fully Wireless Playstation 4, Playstation 3 and Mobile Gaming Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions can be wrong!, 5 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit surprised when I unpacked this headset as, having read how good this brand was, my first impressions were not particularly good. The outer box is not very sturdy and had been crumpled a bit in the post whilst the inner plastic container is very thin and does not offer much protection to the contents. The headset itself did not shout quality either, being made completely of plastic and feeling quite flimsy when picked up. I suppose that at this price point you really can't expect top quality materials to be used and as with all technical things it's more about whether the technology works or not.

So, straight out of the box this headset was fairly straightforward to set-up as it comes already paired with its wireless transmitter which, when plugged in to a USB port has a steady blue light to show that it is paired. Everything is included to enable a quick connection to be made between headset and games console or PC - I tried it out on my Mac which uses an optical digital audio output (minijack) and it worked fine. The controls on the right-hand earcup are easy to adjust with the headset on and the detachable mic boom can be easily positioned to suit your needs. Also, the ear cups themselves are very manoeuvrable which makes them comfortable to wear over long periods of time as you can adjust them to a perfect fit.

The audio was crisp and clear although the difference between the four presets, selected using the EQ button, was less than I had imagined that it might be. These presets - natural, bass boost, bass and treble boost and vocal boost are all, in themselves, excellent and the vocals were really clear.

I did try the headset with some music and whilst it was again, very clear it was also a bit flat. Not being one for playing multiplayer games I haven't really had a chance to test the mic except for a bit of cursing to myself which came through nice and clear above the gameplay.

Overall I found that my initial impressions were not to be relied upon as this headset is actually really good and the plastic construction does make it lighter which is probably a good thing if you want to sit with it on for any length of time. I still think that the packaging could do with a bit of beefing up though particularly for sending through the post.

Topstar 71430S03E Open Art Junior Kids and Youths Swivel Chair - White
Topstar 71430S03E Open Art Junior Kids and Youths Swivel Chair - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 stars but for a couple of very small points., 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had ordered this chair for when my grandson comes round and plays on the computer as he finds it a bit uncomfortable sitting on a dining chair. It arrived promptly and I immediately set about assembling it. This is where a few points got deducted from its score.

The instruction sheet has no written assembly instructions, just a series of diagrams on its reverse side, so you had better be practically minded. The front of the sheet carries cleaning and maintenance instructions and a warning that if you intend to use the chair on say, a laminate floor, that you need to buy different castors to those which come supplied with it (or put a rug under it).

I also found that the single bolt, which attaches the backrest to the underside of the chair, needed extensive work with a torque wrench to get it to screw into the threaded hole in the plate - there was no way that this bolt could have been tightened with the hex key alone. Once I had run the bolt through the thread several times with the torque wrench I was able to revert to using just the hex key.

When completely assembled this is a really smart looking piece of furniture and should be easy to keep in this condition with an occasional wipe down (baby wipes with lanoline are good for car dashboards etc. so I might just try them if the seat does become grubby). I don't see why this chair couldn't take a lightweight adult on it (yes, I have tried it out) other than the design of the backrest which makes it sit much further forward than on an adults chair so not all of the seat can be sat upon.

What impressed me most about this chair is that it doesn't look out of place in a room full of adult stuff, which can be the case with lots of furniture for younger people. So, overall I am really happy with it and have no problem recommending it.

MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable HeadLight 150 Lumens
MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable HeadLight 150 Lumens
Offered by GsportsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars A design that appeals combined with an excellent set of features., 1 Dec 2014
Just when I thought that I had the ultimate in bicycle headlamps the MetroFlash NightShocker comes along. It's not that this little lamp is necessarily better at lighting the road in front of me than my existing lamp but it is a very well thought out design that just appeals to me.

To begin with there's the physical size, at just 7cm long and 2.6cm wide (excluding the bracket) this lamp is tiny! Then there's the construction of it, made with high grade aluminium this lamp is not going to break very easily. The mat black colour gives a smart finish and the manufacturers claim that this little beauty is waterproof too (not a feature that I'm in a hurry to test).

The four lighting modes are handy but I would imagine that the super bright mode would consume a fair amount of power from the rechargeable Li-ion battery. Personally, I think that even the least bright setting is good enough for most occasions and I haven't yet fathomed the benefits of flashing headlamps but I pity anyone prone to seizures if this lamp was anywhere near them in flashing mode. Whilst discussing the actual effectiveness of the light emitted by this lamp, there is one design feature that, simple as it may be, is probably my favourite feature of this lamp and that is the cut-outs on the sides of the lamps rim. These cut-outs allow the light to spread in a much wider arc from side to side of your bicycle so that your field of view is no longer restricted to a fairly tight beam of light that only illuminates objects directly in front of you.

The method of attaching the lamp to your handle bars is via a rubber ring that is stretched under the handlebars and attached to the bracket on either side of the underside of the lamp. This makes fitting the lamp onto, or taking the lamp off of, the handlebars very simple and quick and it can be done without tools.

Finally, I must mention possibly the most important feature of this lamp - its' USB charging facility. Unlike most USB devices this lamp has a male connector protruding from its back that is accessed by removing a rubber cap. You can either plug this straight into a conventional female USB socket, as found on most computers and wall chargers, or you can attach a USB cable, one with a male connector at one end and a female connector at the other, to your computer or a wall charger. I haven't had cause to use this feature yet as the lamp arrived with plenty of charge in it - but I did try it out and I can tell you that when the lamp is charging a separate, blue LED lights up behind the lens.

This is definitely a five star product and one that will be getting plenty of use.

MeasuPro IRT20 Temperature Gun Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful device at a sensible price., 1 Dec 2014
The MeasuPro IRT20 Temperature Gun is a handy piece of equipment that has many potential uses in both domestic and commercial environments. It does away with the need to have contact with the object or space to be measured and therefore reduces the possibilities of burns, scolds, contamination and even electrocution.

The gun has a red laser beam to make it easy to point accurately at the spot to be measured, a clear LCD screen on which to view measurements and functions, three buttons (laser beam on/off, mode Cº/Fº, display backlight on/off), and a trigger that activates the gun. Temperatures can be taken by a 'point and shoot' method or a 'scanning' method, the first will give the temperature of an object whose location is known, whilst the second can be used to locate a hotspot (by holding the trigger in whilst randomly scanning an area). The gun is designed to be comfortable in use and has a 'no-sweat rubber oil finish', is extremely light in weight and easy to use. It is powered by one 9V, PP3 type battery which is housed in the handle and accessed by pulling open a drop down flap.

Amongst its many uses it can check for heat loss around doors and windows, hotspots on vehicles (pipes, exhausts etc.) and overheating of wiring and electrical components. In the kitchen foods, liquids, ovens, hobs and even irons can all have their temperatures taken without any fear of danger or contamination.

A very useful device at a sensible price.

The Greatest Day - Take That Present The Circus Live
The Greatest Day - Take That Present The Circus Live

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Day CD, 1 Dec 2014
Bought this for my daughter, who is a big fan of Take That, after she had been to see them at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. She loves anything by the band and this CD was no different, she thought it was brilliant. I can't really comment on the music as I haven't listened to it but if my daughter thinks it's good then I guess that this is a high recommendation to any Take That fan.

Kandle by Ozeri II in Graphite -- Designed for the Amazon Kindle (fits latest generation Kindle and all models), and other eBook readers
Offered by Ozeri UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect Lamp For Night-time Reading, 1 Dec 2014
This is a great little light that illuminates my Kindle Touch perfectly. The three LED bulbs ensure that the screen gets a good, even distribution of light and the articulated arm allows you to alter the angle of the lamp. I like how the lamp turns off when it is closed and the black velvet pouch in which you can carry the lamp, these additional little touches make this lamp stand out from the crowd as a top quality product.

I do find that the clip which holds the lamp onto the Kindle could do with a little more grip. I have the Kindle Touch Leather Cover which has the hard polycarbonate shell on the back and the lamp tends to move about a bit on this. I know that strictly speaking the lamp isn't designed to fit over covers as well but my cover is never taken off. This is more of a suggestion not a complaint as the Kandle is so good I just felt that I had to try and temper my review so's that people know it is genuine :).

I would definitely recommend this lamp without reservation to anyone who uses an e-reader in bed at night.

BRITA MAXTRA Water Filter Cartridge - 3 Pack
BRITA MAXTRA Water Filter Cartridge - 3 Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars APPEAR TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE, 25 Nov 2014
These filters are very good at doing what they're supposed to do. The filtered water has a lovely fresh taste without the foul tasting chemical flavour that comes with tap water nowadays. I usually keep the Brita water jug in my fridge door and this ensures that I have a good supply of chilled water that is actually a pleasure to drink.

An added bonus with these filters is that it is a lot easier to change them over as there is no need to faff about with pre-soaking etc.
I did wonder if this is why there appears to be condensation inside the foil packaging, something that I hadn't ever noticed previously, perhaps these filters already contain moisture?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20