Profile for Pete F. > Reviews

Content by Pete F.
Top Reviewer Ranking: 384

Pete F. (Ayrshire, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Backlit Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2, KVAGO Ultra Slim Thin Aluminum Alloy Keyboard Cover with Power Bank Function 7 Colors Backlight Keys Flip Cover Folio Case Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Hard Shell for Apple iPad Air 2 9.7 inch 2014 Edition (iPad 6th Generation) Silver
Offered by Kvago

4.0 out of 5 stars Best solution so far!, 21 Mar. 2016
This keyboard case by KVAGO is exactly what I have been wanting for my iPad Air 2, it turns it into a mini laptop without the fuss of performing some intricate origami manoeuvres on a folio case.

The case comes beautifully packaged along with a screen protector, a small plastic stylus and a USB - Micro USB charging cable. My particular case did not have any documentation included so I had to contact the retailer for instructions - this was apparently due to an oversight on the part of the packing team who check each item prior to despatch.

Fully charging the keyboard took somewhere between 3 and 6 hours - I was called away during the process so am not sure of the exact time. Fitting the iPad into the case was a simple matter of sliding it into place and presented no problems. Once fitted, the case held the iPad very securely.

Pairing the keyboard to my iPad was quick and simple and, once achieved, the connection remained strong and stable. All ports, buttons, cameras and speakers on my iPad were easily accessible with the case fitted although none of my non-Apple lightning connectors could be used without taking the iPad back out of the case as they were too big to fit through the allocated opening.

Where this particular style of keyboard case scores over the usual folio style is in its sturdy construction, the ability to angle the screen through 180° - the hinge feels very sturdy and holds the chosen angle no problem, and the fact that it has a USB outlet from which you can charge your iPad or phone. I like the backlit keyboard which can be very useful in low lighting conditions - you can change the colour and brightness of the backlight to suit your own tastes. The case with iPad inserted is quite weighty (compared to an iPad without a case) and because of this and the rubber feet fitted to its base, it is not going to slip and slide across your worktop as you try to type stuff.

There is only one thing that I do not like about this case and that is the circular cut-out on the lid where the Apple logo to shows through. First of all I feel that it detracts from the otherwise sleek design, secondly it provides an entry point for dust or other crud and last of all if, as I do, you have the Gold coloured iPad you get a clash of colour schemes.

So, this keyboard case is not perfect but it is the best solution to my needs so far and I have now tried quite a variety of keyboard cases.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Amzdeal® Portable Adjustable Aluminum Artist Sketching Painting Display Easel Stand + Carrying Bag (Silver)
Offered by SuperStore2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for its intended purpose if used correctly, 19 Mar. 2016
This portable easel is ideal for making sketches when out and about. It is NOT intended to replace a studio easel or to display framed, glazed pieces of art.

The easel, when fully extended, can hold a 2ft canvas at 33" above ground level which, unless you are extremely tall, is a comfortable height to work at. It is constructed of lightweight aluminium and plastics and approx. 20" long when folded down making it very portable.

If erected correctly this easel is quite sturdy, with the metal crossbar secured in place, the two front legs are held rigid whilst the back leg is held firm because the easel leans back onto it. Also, as with any field easel, there is the facility to suspend a weight (I use my bag - 2nd photo) from the underside which serves to "anchor" the easel firmly to the ground.

The sprung loaded plastic clip mounted on the top of the extending arm (3rd photo) is a quick, secure method of holding canvases/boards in place whilst the plastic locks on the legs allow them to be quickly and easily adjusted to your desired height.

This may not be the most robust of field easels but for the price it is pretty good and there are only two minor points that I would like to have seen changed, the first being the feet on the bottom of the legs - I feel that these would have been better if they were the same as fitted to many hiking poles nowadays with the choice of a flat rubber base for hard ground or a spike for soft ground. The second is the fixing method of the metal crossbar, with the current design you need to carry a Philips screwdriver to tighten/loosen the screws which secure it into position, I feel that this could be changed to make the screws tighten by hand without the need for any tools.

Overall I really liked this easel, it may not stand up to prolonged heavy duty use but there again at this price you could afford to renew it as and when needed.

• I was supplied with this product in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Discoball Rechargeable CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoomable Flashlight Torch+ 2x18650 Battery+Charger
Offered by Discoball

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for outdoor activities., 14 Mar. 2016
The 1000 LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoomable LED torch from Discoball is a very powerful handheld light that comes in its own carry case and a variety of accessories.

This torch can be powered either by the supplied 3.7V, 2200mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery or 4 x AAA batteries. The rechargeable battery can be charged with a car or a wall charger (both supplied with this product). Contained in the hard plastic carry case there is (1st photo):
1 x CREE zoomable LED torch with attached lanyard
1 x wall charger
1 x Li-ion battery holder
1 x 3.7V, 2200mAh Li-ion battery (NOT 3800mAh as claimed in description - see 3rd photo)
1 x car charger
1 x charging cable
1 x AAA battery carrier
1 x nylon pouch for the torch.

The blue/white light emitted by the LED bulb is very powerful, gives off no heat whatsoever and can be focussed by adjusting the lens (the lens carrier slides in and out) . At a distance of approx. 6m the bulb gives out light which can be adjusted from approximately a 10ft circle down to 2ft - the smallest size is not circular but rather a projection of the LED element (see photo's 4 and 5). There are three brightnesses of lighting and two flashing modes - strobing and SOS signal.

This would be an excellent flashlight to take on hillwalking/outdoor activities. The rugged plastic case, which has foam inserts, will give plenty of protection to the torch and its accessories whilst the torch itself, being sturdily constructed of aluminium, is going to be capable of withstanding most knocks and drops. I intend to keep this in the boot of my car so that I will have it to hand when needed.

• I was supplied with this product in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sharpe 3-Book Collection 2: Sharpe's Havoc, Sharpe's Eagle, Sharpe's Gold (Sharpe Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpe 3-book collection 2, 14 Mar. 2016
I am slowly working my way through the Sharpe novels and am pleased that I am able to buy them in collections rather than individually. If I could afford to do so I would just purchase the whole set but I'm afraid that, reasonable as the cost is when worked out on a 'per book' basis, I just could not justify the cost all at once.
I find that Bernard Cornwell's style of writing is engaging and easy to follow. Apparently the stories are all, in the main, historically accurate and you certainly feel as though you're getting a realistic insight into the lives and places described in the books.
I shall continue purchasing and reading these books until I have concluded the Sharpe chronicles.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sensitive Razor Blades - Pack of 4
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sensitive Razor Blades - Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Wilkinson Sword Razor Blades, 14 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are decent enough razors and, when fitted into the Hydro 5 handle make a good piece of shaving kit.

The Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 handle/blade combo has a nice design, is comfortable to hold with its cushion gripped, rubberised handle and has a reasonabledegree of weightiness to it. The blades click into place on the handle with ease and are just as easy to replace. The actual head has a good degree of flexibility and generally forms to the shape of your face quite well but I did find a tendency for the blades to catch on stubble more than a day old.

The problem that I do find with all of these multi-bladed razors is that the more blades they build into a head, the more time consuming it becomes to clean them out properly after a shave and also, for me, the use of shaving oil is far more effective at reducing irritation than lubricating strips or reservoirs.

Overall, this is a good enough product but I'm afraid that my personal preference is for a rival brand and that wins out on this occasion.

Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac T651
Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac T651

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but not so good to use, 11 Mar. 2016
This trackpad would be every bit as good as an Apple Trackpad that I had previously except for one thing - the working surface. I found this surface, on which you perform your gestures etc., to be too smooth for practical use and I had to keep licking my fingers so that the gestures could be read properly by the trackpad. This one aspect of the device detracts from all the other positive points.

Charging of the battery via the supplied Micro USB charging cable takes a few hours, Bluetooth pairing to my iMac was quick and simple, downloading and installation of the Logitech drivers was straightforward and all gestures etc. worked as they should do (when the pad could read them).

This is a good looking piece of equipment that fits in well with my Apple devices, it is silver in colour not white as you may think from the manufacturers photo's. It's a pity that you cannot use this device without having to constantly moisten your finger tips in order to gain some traction on the glass(?) surface - if you could this would easily be a 5 star product.

Coredy N300 Mini WiFi Range Extender/ Access Point / Router with External Antennas (Coredy E300)
Offered by Coredy

5.0 out of 5 stars Corey WiFi Extender, 7 Mar. 2016
This is Mini WiFi Range Extender was exactly what I was looking for to improve the WiFi reception throughout my flat. It comes in a sturdy plain brown box which contains all that you need to set up a wired or wireless LAN.

The Extender itself is a neat little device measuring just 5cm wide x 8cm high and 5cm deep (approx.), the antenna are 9cm long and can be flipped through 180 degrees and rotated a full 360 degrees so that not only can you maximise signal pick-up but, if plugging the Extender into a socket which does not have a great deal of room around it, you can angle the antenna to fit into the space available.

Set-up was quite straightforward if you read the User Manual rather than the Quick Set-Up Guide (which omits some basic requirements for set-up).
It paired to my EE Brightbox router no problem and, once installed in an adjacent room (roughly 10m away from router with stone wall in between), it provided my mobile devices with a strong, stable signal.

This Extender has improved my WiFi signal in an area of the flat that previously had poor reception, if it came in a white colour so that it was less obvious (being as it will be a semi permanent fixture) it would have been perfect.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Tingkam 12M Dimmable Led String Lights Copper Wire 120 LED Starry Light with Power Adapter +24 Key IR Remote Control for Christmas Holiday Wedding Parties Warm White
Offered by Kingsdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Attractive, 23 Feb. 2016
I really like these string lights, they make an attractive source of illumination for the display cabinet in which I keep a collection of crystals/gemstones.

The lights come in a retail box which also contains a mains adapter, a controller unit for the LED's and an IR remote control. Setting up the lights is simple enough although, due to the copper wire of the "string" being so fine, it can be a little frustrating as it tends to naturally tangle up. However, the fineness of the copper wire is also a major positive feature of this product as it enables you to sculpt the string to fit most shapes.

As well as being able to turn the lights on or off with the remote control you can; choose the level of brightness in 10% increments from 10 - 100%, select different modes from static, flashing or fade and control the speed/timing of these modes.

What I particularly like about these lights is the fact that, against a wooden background the copper wire is almost invisible and the actual LED's are not even as big as the heads on those map pins (those with the ball-heads). Also, on their brightest setting, these LED's provide lighting on a similar level to candle light in a 16' x 12' room.

Swann-Morton Steel Blades No. 11, Box of 100
Swann-Morton Steel Blades No. 11, Box of 100

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable quality., 21 Feb. 2016
Since my initial training in the design and print industry back in the 70's I have used Swann-Morton scalpel blades and handles. I have tried other brands/designs but none compare to the quality of these and I will continue to use my Swann-Morton's all the while that I am creating art and graphic design.

Swann-Morton Box of 50 SM 03 Spare Blades
Swann-Morton Box of 50 SM 03 Spare Blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 21 Feb. 2016
Excellent product. I have used these blades for many years now and they are ideal for many applications. They are a much sturdier version of the surgical blades by Swann-Morton.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20