Profile for BestChickLit.com > Reviews

Content by BestChickLit.com

BestChickLit.com

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Knight's Mistress (Knight Trilogy Book 1)
Knight's Mistress (Knight Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars At times it is a sweet love story, and others a heated adventure, but..., 24 Feb. 2015
Now, I’m in two minds about this book. On the one hand, I’m sure it is not meant to be taken seriously or for anyone to read too much into it, after all erotica is supposed to be a little naughty fun. But on the other hand, some aspects of it really made me mad.

At times it is a sweet love story, and others a heated adventure, but then there are the moments that make my proud inner feminist stand up and scream! The words “You must learn obedience. You’re much too independent.” should sum this up for you. I’d certainly only recommend it for those with an open mind, and those who love nothing more than a man to take control in the bedroom. The raunchier moments are fairly tame in comparison to what is out there, in the big bad world, but it is the mind games that will either turn you on or turn you off – we have a definite marmite situation here.

Written with lovers of 50 Shades of Grey in mind – the similarities are endless – this is just the first in the three part series (the other 2 reviews will follow, have no fear). I had trouble liking Dominic and Katherine, which certainly pulled me back from the action, but perhaps I am asking too much from the book. However, CC Gibbs certainly conjures up images of two extremely beautiful people and seems to have an endless vocabulary when it comes to the x-rated scenes. Dominic and Katherine have undeniable chemistry, but his desire to control her, at times violently, and baby her made me pull back from the story. If the thought of a sexy, successful man drawing you into a world of excess and completely taking care of you turns you on, then this could be the ideal read for you. I’m looking forward to finding out how the story ends for these two complicated lovers, but while the complex mind games and power balance does fascinate me, unfortunately the heat doesn’t leave the page for me.

review by Elizabeth A Wright on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

The Sex Diaries
The Sex Diaries
by Arianne Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars If you find the inner workings of strangers’ minds fascinating then is the perfect read for you, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Sex Diaries (Paperback)
Contained within the pages of The Sex Diaries is quite the collection of inner most thoughts. The kind thoughts you never share with anyone; your raging insecurities, doubts and most off-the-wall musings.

If you find the inner workings of strangers’ minds fascinating then is the perfect read for you. For me, I found it a little depressing and intrusive. Yes, there were some exceedingly naughty entries but the overall tone seemed to be one of desolation, of people crying out for true, meaningful relationships and how they wish their lives could be different.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising the book. I just expected it to be a fun and cheeky read but it’s a lot deeper than that so be prepared.
review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

The Accidental Mistress (Accidental series Book 2)
The Accidental Mistress (Accidental series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ms Da Costa got it spot on here for me, 24 Feb. 2015
It takes a very specific sort of erotic book to get me going and Ms Da Costa got it spot on here for me. There’s a real storyline between fairly tasteful sex scenes, with a bit of naughtiness and spanking but nothing to disturb my sweet, innocent mind… ;)

This is the second book in the Accidental trilogy but I found it read well as a standalone novel. Lizzie has won sexy, rich John over from a “client” to a boyfriend but can she ever win his heart? And is she just another acquisition for him, to be bought and controlled? Despite her worries, Lizzie is only too ready to give her heart and body over to this exquisite older lover.

I have to admit that John is a HOT hero in this book, although his wont to control Lizzie did put me off slightly – I never felt certain that he would look after her heart. Portia Da Costa writes a wicked sex scene, without any clunky, jarring sex talk, although at times I found John’s speeches unrealistic.

I loved the side plots to this story with Lizzie’s jealous but lovely housemate, Shelley and her forays into a naughtier sex life, and her gay ex-lover Brent and I’m looking forward to seeing how all three get on in the next book in the trilogy.

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

The Man Who Can't Be Moved
The Man Who Can't Be Moved

5.0 out of 5 stars I’ve heard many great things about Tilly Tennant’s writing and I was so pleased to discover they are all true., 24 Feb. 2015
In the summer of 2008, I was heavily pregnant with my third child and fell totally in love with The Script’s The Man Who Can’t Be Moved. I was obsessed (possibly my hormones?) and listened to it on such an endless loop that when my daughter was finally born, she’d only sleep if the song was playing. Once I found out this book was based around the song, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.

Bringing us Ellie Newton, a young journalist trying to make her mark on the world yet being dragged down, readers are given a character they can immediately relate to and like. She’s a bright spark, whose sweet and over generous nature is actually working against her, dulling her sparkle as she acts as referee between her parents, tries to be a good friend and helps take care of her sick aunt.

Offering some sweet relief to her family problems is Ben Kelly, aka The Man Who Can’t Be Moved. Ellie sinks her teeth into his story and soon her innate desire to help others takes over, leading her and her emotions into a spot of trouble. Ben is a nice happy-go-lucky character, who we don’t actually get to spend that much time with. However, you sense immediately that he a good guy and root for his happiness. Ellie and Ben only have a few interactions throughout the entire story, which is something I usually don’t like, but it worked, thanks to the easy chemistry created by the author.

Dotted around the outskirts of the main story are some fantastic characters, with Patrick being a particular favourite of mine, and they only help to give The Man Who Can’t Be Moved a delightful tune that will sing its way into any romance lover’s heart.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Never Too Late (Choc Lit) (Regency Romance Collection Book 4)
Never Too Late (Choc Lit) (Regency Romance Collection Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars I felt truly indulged in this sweet regency confection and I can’t wait to get my mitts on the rest of the collection, 24 Feb. 2015
I’ve always loved Choc Lit authors and here Christina Courtenay has given me everything I could want from a Regency romance all wrapped up in a neat little novella. Indeed, stiff upper lips, duels, horse riding, damsels in distress and sprawling countryside estates all luxuriate in this charming story.

Maude is seemingly a victim of the male dominated society she lives in. Banned by her father from marrying Luke, the man she loves, she is forced into an unhappy marriage with his brutish cousin.

Fast forward eight years and Maude’s life revolves around her wonderful daughter. Her husband is dead and left them nothing but pain and the whole estate is left to Luke. Though their relationship is now frosty, peppered with misunderstandings and untold emotion, Luke is decent enough to let them live on in the house and over time, warmth between the two old lovers blossoms again. But when a new rich heir is on the scene, danger lurks behind every corner…

Juicy as a ripe peach, what Never Too Late lacks for in originality, it makes up for in the vim, vigour and sexual tension of the historical upper classes. Maude is an appealing heroine who deserves happiness after so much misery and, despite threats to her life, this is the sort of book where you can relax and enjoy, knowing that she will get it.

I felt truly indulged in this sweet regency confection and I can’t wait to get my mitts on the rest of the collection.

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Obsession in Death: In Death Series: Book 40
Obsession in Death: In Death Series: Book 40

4.0 out of 5 stars exactly what you want from a crime read, 24 Feb. 2015
Despite there being a staggering 40 titles in the series, this is the first ‘In Death’ book I’ve read.

Although it worked well as a standalone, had I known it was such a huge series I would have perhaps read the first few books, in order to gain more background on the central characters. J.D. Robb does a fine job of filling in the blanks, when previous crimes or names are mentioned, and I found myself intrigued enough to want to know more.

As a newbie to the series, Eve was, unsurprisingly, the most interesting character; she’s obviously emotionally damaged from her past and as the story moves on appears to realise how far she has come, both personally and with the number of close bonds she has developed. Regardless of her brief flashes of sentimentality, Eve is a no-nonsense character. Her blunt, brusque, get-the-job-done attitude is what I liked most, as was her obvious discomfort at being in the public eye.

I’ve been a huge fan of crime series programmes in the past, so I found the profiling and detective work used to close the net on the killer kept me hooked. The plot moved at a very comfortable pace and I wondered constantly about the identity of Eve’s ‘True Friend’ and how the conclusion was going to pan out -which is exactly what you want from a crime read.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Beautiful Redemption: A Novel (The Maddox Brothers Series Book 2)
Beautiful Redemption: A Novel (The Maddox Brothers Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next bro!, 24 Feb. 2015
Another Maddox brother love story, what’s not like? From start to finish, I was caught up in Liis and Thomas – the plot, the tension and drama surrounding them.

In true Maddox form, Thomas is upfront with his feelings, even if this did sometime’s hurt Liis. But she’s a strong character throughout and I never once wavered from liking her a helluva lot. For some reason I expected the book to be told from Thomas’ point of view and kept expecting it to switch but the entire story is told through Liis’ eyes and, although I did enjoy it, I would have loved a little insight into Thomas’ mind as well.

Overall the formula remains the same as Jamie McGuire’s previous books and I’m glad – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The characters are all amazing, some being worthy of the odd swoon, some laugh-out-loud funny and a few slimy ones, and as usual the whole thing works effortlessly.

Bring on the next bro!

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Shopaholic to the Stars: (Shopaholic Book 7) (Shopaholic Series)
Shopaholic to the Stars: (Shopaholic Book 7) (Shopaholic Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking open Shopaholic to the Stars was like catching up with an old friend: the best way to spend your day!, 24 Feb. 2015

Becky’s back to her best, if a little misguided, and I loved getting another glimpse into the inner workings of her crazy mind! If Becky being in Hollywood isn’t enough of an adventure for you, the tight spots she manages to find herself in and the supporting characters stories will have you entranced.

The ending did leave me a little flummoxed though, if I’m honest. I didn’t expect the story to end so abruptly and to have the conclusion continue onto another book. However, Sophie Kinsella has successfully resurrected every chick lit fan’s best pal and done a fantastic job of it too.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com

Wrecked
Wrecked

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed on behalf of Bestchicklit.com, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Wrecked (Kindle Edition)
After reading the blurb, I had high hope for this book and on the whole, I did enjoy it.

The story concept is solid; Lorrie suffers enough devastation in her life to warrant being completely broken and Hunter comes across as the perfect college catch – a bit of a rascal but an honest one who is really a total softy. However, there were a few aspects that didn’t work for me, such as the dialog being overly formal for the most part, the abundance of needless descriptions, Hunter falling head-over-hells for Lorrie almost immediately, way over-the-top sex scenes and the lack of details on Lorrie’s trauma.

There’s a strong Beautiful Disaster vibe going on throughout most of the book (fine with me, I’m a huge JM fan) and the pair’s relationship is intense enough to keep you hooked. The ending had me glued to the pages and I was completely shocked, in a good way, at the direction it took. Though, I can’t help but think that if the author had put more into plumping up Lorrie’s and Hunter’s backstories, instead of concentrating more on their physical reactions to each other, the whole thing would have come together a lot better.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Saving Quinton (Nova Series Book 2)
Saving Quinton (Nova Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I really can’t wait to get my hands on the next instalment., 10 Feb. 2015
As with the first book, Breaking Nova, the tone and subject matter are incredibly dark. Nova and Quinton are still very much fighting their own personal demons but they are apart and on very different paths.

At the close of the first instalment, readers know the terrible choice Quinton made and now begin to get a glimpse into where it has led him. Nova is semi-aware of the situation and finds herself driven to save this boy she knows hardly anything about from himself – partly as a personal crusade and partly because she can’t shake the connection the pair had during the previous summer.

Jessica Sorensen describes Quinton’s decent into drug-induced hell with, what I imagine to be, chilly accuracy. The feelings, presence of mind and lack of thoughts experienced every time drugs enter the equation – and they were always in the equation – was nothing short of scary. The crack house back drop was also pretty grim and sent a few shudders up my back.

Yet still, through the haze of Crystal Meth, the real Quinton peeks through every now and then, and I willed Nova to never give up; to really and truly save sweet Quinton, for I read on for those moments alone. But the book sticks within realistic boundaries and nothing about this story screams fairytale ending. When Jessica Sorensen decides a character is going to hit rock bottom, she goes for broke and at one point, I didn’t think my heart could take it. Nova is torn up from the inside, trying to carry the weight of another’s trauma and addictions, whilst Quinton is even more hellbent on ending his life in the most meaningless way possible.

Hope shines through at the end though and I really can’t wait to get my hands on the next instalment.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com