Profile for Mr. R. I. C. Reid > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. I. C. Reid

Mr. R. I. C. Reid "rob_vet69" (UK)

The Forgotten Legion: (The Forgotten Legion Chronicles No. 1)
The Forgotten Legion: (The Forgotten Legion Chronicles No. 1)
by Ben Kane

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, wonderfully characterised., 7 Jan. 2016
This is the third of Ben's books I've had the pleasure of reading after I started out with the Spartacus novel. The good news is, it's an absolute belter!

The characters stand out for themselves, with Romulus, Tarquinus and later Brennus all proving to be well developed along with the main female character Fabiola in the opposing plot thread. The tale itself is a true page-turner, indeed the biggest issue I had with this book was putting it down. (Note: seems to be a recurring theme with Ben's books after I finished the first Spartacus novel 2 days into a holiday earlier this year and was left with no further reading material for the rest of the week!)

Looking forward to getting stuck into the second one...:-)

Towers Of Midnight: Book 13 of the Wheel of Time
Towers Of Midnight: Book 13 of the Wheel of Time
by Robert Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wheel of Time turns again..., 5 Nov. 2010
Towers of Midnight picks up where The Gathering Storm left off, maintaining the much needed greater pace the The Wheel of Time series had started to gather in Knife of Dreams.

Brandon Sanderson proved in TGS that he can more than just fill in for Robert Jordan and although he doesn't quite write with the descriptive finesse of his predecessor, he more than makes up for that with this excellent and thrilling portrayal of the action sequences.

Without giving away any major spoilers, this book focuses predominantly on the development of the 2 ta'veren Perrin and Mat. Sanderson came in for some criticism in TGS particularly with regards to the latter character, but he has captured his personality well in ToM and Perrin's battle with his own inner demons is particularly nicely done - giving a nice staging field for much of the books action. His plot thread kept me constantly hooked.

ToM continues to tie up many of the loose ends that had been left by the earlier books, but the beauty of this book when compared with TGS is that it perhaps poses even more questions - leaving things nicely poised for the finale, A Memory of Light.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, finished it in 2 days which was even quicker than TGS. The only downside is that I have to wait another year again for my final adventure in Randland. Guess I'll just have to go back to the start and read them all again in the interim......

No Line On The Horizon
No Line On The Horizon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A little different..., 7 Mar. 2009
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
If you are a U2 fan let's face it, you are going to buy this album - whether the reviews are great or not. So for what it's worth, here's my take on things!

I am really enjoying this album, probably more so than I have enjoyed all their previous realeases since Achtung! Baby. It would have been all too easy for U2 to churn out another easily marketable rock album like their last two so Kudos to them for trying to be a bit more experimental (especially after the disaster that was Pop.)

There are still strong rock tracks on this album (Magnificent and Breathe) but the rest are an intersting mix of quirky guitar riffs and bass lines (Unknown Caller is my favourite and on 3rd and 4th plays Cedars of Lebanon, White as Snow and Stand Up Comedy have really got my attention.) There is no big stand out single on this album (eg a Beautiful Day or Vertigo) indeed the current single Boots is probably my least favourite on the album. And I think for this reason it makes it play better as whole.

Sure this is not The Joshua Tree or Achtung! Baby. But No Line on the Horizon is pretty darned good!

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Trilogy)
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Trilogy)
by Brandon Sanderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel, 26 Feb. 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed the opening book of the Mistborn triology but approached The Well of Ascension with some scepticism - sequels often do not emulate their predecessors. Thankfully I need not have worried - The Well of Ascension certainly does not disappoint.

Sanderson writes with flair and in parts is gripping, but he also writes with a real sense of emotion and one can really sympathise with Vin and Elend's tangled feelings for each other being compromised by their sense of duty to the people.

The style is the same as with Mistborn with snippets from a previous age prefacing each chapter and the book reaches a satisfying conclusion with a cracking little twist at the end. Lots of questions are answered as the story concludes, but many more are posed leaving us nicely poised for the final book.

In the last 2 years we have lost David Gemmell and Robert Jordan, 2 of the greatest authors of this genre. Brandon Sanderson has stepped up to the plate as a worthy new name in fantasy and he fully deserves to be charged with the task o finishing Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series. Great work Brandon, long may it continue !!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2011 7:42 AM GMT

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials)
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials)
by Philip Pullman

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let-down, 14 Dec. 2008
I was intrigued to see how this story would conclude after I enjoyed The Northen Lights and was rather disappointed by The Subtle Knife. I feel a little like I have wasted my time.

There is no doubting the imagination that has gone into the three books and they do contain some nice chapters, which is why they merit 2 stars. But in the end, this book just sort of drifts to a conclusion that is all too predictable. I felt a bit cheated at the end. I guess the take home message is that there is just a lot of much better fantasy out there. Nice try but not for me.

The Duchess
The Duchess
by Amanda Foreman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointly Dull, 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Duchess (Paperback)
Having watched the film I felt I should read the book as they are almost always much better than the large screen counterpart. I was left somewhat disappointed by this.

Sure, the book is well researched and referenced and the work behind the historical fact that has gone into this book is undeniably impressive. As a history text for one to reference it is entirely suitable.

However this book seems to be promoted as a highly entertaining story. That it is not. The plot is just a blow-by-blow historical account with no attempt to really make the story entertaining or actually give much insight into the characters. I only finished the novel out of sheer stubborness and that in itself was a chore.

As a historical refernce text it fits. As something to read for entertainments sake, don't bother as it is just dull, dull, dull.

Mistborn: Final Empire (Mistborn Trilogy)
Mistborn: Final Empire (Mistborn Trilogy)
by Brandon Sanderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing I've read in ages, 4 Dec. 2008
I have always been a huge fan of fantasy novels but have always found myself not daring to stray too far from my favourite authors (Feist, Jordan, Gemmell) after a few rather disappointing experiences. I too like the other reviewers picked up Mistborn on the basis of him being picked to finish the Wheel of Time saga and boy am I impressed.

The story at first doesn't stray far from the the usual fantasy stereotype of the young character coming from nothing and being developed to challenge the powers of evil. What is new and original is the way in which the metal-based magic system is portrayed, making for some interesting paradoxes and entertaining action sequences.

The development of the 3 main characters is also very well done, Vin is beautifully brought on through the novel, Kelsier's flawed overconfidence comes to a satisfactory twisted finish and Elend develops in a comfortingly quirky manner.

The book is well written with the little preludes to each chapter making a nice mirror which unweave parallel with the main plot. I have certianly been impressed with Sanderson's skills as a writer and I look forward to part 2 of the trilogy and also greatly to A Memory of Light which all being well should be with us at the end of 2009. Good work.