Profile for P. Duval > Reviews

Content by P. Duval

P. Duval "philip_duval" (Manchester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Life After the State
Life After the State
by Dominic Frisby

2.0 out of 5 stars More elite friendly propaganda, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
Mr Frisby trots out the usual free market myths which sound liberating but are in reality no threat whatsoever to the wealthy elites who control the economy. The real function of this book, and the others like it, is to attack the idea of a Welfare State which protects those locked out of the ''free market''.

What I find most remarkable is the effusive praise given to it by the current Head of BBC News and Current Affairs. That'll be the 'left wing' BBC then. How can we ever expect to get impartial news when the man in charge of it is so obviously partial to elite ideas?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2013 5:54 PM GMT

Live Working or Die Fighting: How The Working Class Went Global
Live Working or Die Fighting: How The Working Class Went Global
by Paul Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Jan. 2012
So much history here which is so needlessly neglected - real history, the stories of real people, their lives and their struggles for some semblance of fairness. And given the course that globalised finance capitalism is taking, they are stories which are being relived across the world and from which even we in the 'modern' world we will have to learn from again as our living standards decline under the current kleptocratic system.

I'm looking to reading his next book about the uprisings of 2011.

Meltdown: The End of the Age of Greed
Meltdown: The End of the Age of Greed
by Paul Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jan. 2012
Clear and easily digestible overview of the banking crisis from one of the few mainstream journalists worth listening to. Unfortunately as the costs of the crisis are transferred to the rest of the population, the book's tag-line 'the end of the age of greed' has not yet come to pass. Nothing less than the expunging to the banks' fictitious assets can save us from a new depression.

The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America - and Spawned a Global Crisis
by Michael W. Hudson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and much needed, 28 Dec. 2011
With much of the mainstream analysis on the financial crisis attempting to blame ordinary people for taking on too much debt, Michael Hudson shows why that is simply not true. Subprime mortgages in the US were sold fraudulently on a massive scale. The following comes from William K Black - prosecutor of fraudsters in the Savings and Loans scandal and it chimes with much of Michael Hudson's work (both write for the excellent New Economic Perspectives blog)

# Only fraudulent home lenders made liar's loans
# Liar's loans were endemically fraudulent
# Lenders and their agents put the lies in liar's loans
# Appraisal fraud was endemic and led by lenders and their agents
# Liar's loans could only be sold through fraudulent reps and warranties
# CDOs "backed" by liar's loans were inherently fraudulent
# CDOs backed by liar's loans could only be sold through fraudulent reps and warranties
# Liar's loans hyper-inflated the bubble
# Liar's loans became roughly one-third of mortgage originations by 2006

It is also worth remembering that many of those fraudulently created securities were then sold throughout the world and in particular to Eurozone banks and municipalities.

We need more investigative writers like Michael Hudson.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 11:49 PM GMT

Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box
Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely does something, 28 Dec. 2011
I bought this SAD light to help regulate my sleeping pattern. It definitely does something - it's stopped me napping in the day and I've been going to sleep earlier. The light is a little strong but you don't have to look at it directly. I have it on in the morning while I have breakfast before I go to work and just leave it to one side shining on me. In terms of weight it's light enough that I could take it to work with me if I wanted.

Glad I bought it.

The Return of the Public
The Return of the Public
by Dan Hind

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital reading, 19 Aug. 2011
Having been frustrated with the mainstream media's failure on a daily basis to hold our elites to account I had read a lot of critiques explaining what was wrong and why but no real ideas as to how we can have a real democracy that we can all participate in. Dan Hind's book is a great start in addressing this serious, serious problem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2011 11:27 PM BST

Injustice: Why Social Inequality Persists
Injustice: Why Social Inequality Persists
by Daniel Dorling

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb exposition of the beliefs which maintain inequality, 24 April 2011
I had the pleasure of hearing Prof. Dorling speak at the Equality Trust's presentation in Manchester in April. He is a fantastic speaker - neither preachy or bombastic. He sets out his meticulously researched evidence and then explains in a very down to earth fashion how our current way of thinking supports the staggering level of inequality that we now have in the UK. This book just adds more and more weight to his arguement that we cannot afford this situation to continue and that we must reduce income inequality.

Humanizing the Economy (Environmental Economics)
Humanizing the Economy (Environmental Economics)
by John Restakis

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing work, 1 April 2011
This book is as much a history of the co-operative movement as it is an explanation of how co-ops can help our societies and our world. I learned so much about the more hidden side of the social justice movement and it made me feel much more hopeful about the prospects for ordinary people - IF they can band together and work for each other.

The Art of Power
The Art of Power
by Thich Nhat Hanh

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish more 'powerful' people would read this, 1 April 2011
This review is from: The Art of Power (Paperback)
Thich Naht Hahn writes about real power is - the ability to change the world for the better. I fervently wish politicians and business leaders would read this book and learn.

Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice
Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice
by Thich Nhat Hanh

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful wisdom, 1 April 2011
I have a number of Thich Naht Hahn's books and this one has been very helpful to me since I started practicing Chan Buddhist meditation (the Chinese precursor to Zen).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3