Profile for arwen evenstar > Reviews

Content by arwen evenstar

arwen evenstar (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
WOLF-Garten 30cm Cylinder WPCM  Hand Mower
WOLF-Garten 30cm Cylinder WPCM Hand Mower
Offered by ISE Forest & Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 6 Jun. 2013
My only experience of lawn mowing has been years of awful experiences with a flymo, mulching our small patch of grass and leaving grass all over the borders, paths and treading into the house. We just had our back garden remodelled and new turf laid so the flymo has been retired. With memories of my dad getting a lovely neat cut with a hand mower, I investigated cylinder mowers and nearly bought the qualcast. I'm so glad i choose the wolfgarten cylinder mower, being a sucker for German technology. Everywhere seems out of stock other than Gateshead lawnmower centre, which is close to my home - Colin put it together for me and made some fine adjustments so that it went through a sheet of paper like the finest scissors. And thats what my new turf looks as if it has been cut with. Really beautiful. I cant believe the step up from a horrible flymo. Easy to adjust the height. Very natty to look at. Most of the grass goes in the basket but the bits left over are easy to gather up, being neatly cut grrass rather than lumps of grass mulch. Qualcast, Colin says, are made from parts from china and put together in the uk. This is a quality mower for less than sixty pounds. It's a pleasure to use, sounds brilliant and takes me back to my dad's old ransomes mower (which Colin says has never been beaten, with that lovely heavy roller on the back). I totally recommend this. Just make sure the blades are cutting all the way along neatly against the base plate and then enjoy.

Crumpler Banana Hammock Small Wrap for Camera - Black/Grey
Crumpler Banana Hammock Small Wrap for Camera - Black/Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy and versatile, 20 May 2013
I bought this for my new bridge camera, the panasonic lumix dmc fz150. I wanted something non bulky and this fits the bill. I sewed a little Velcro strip to keep the 'nose' of the wrap over my lens. It is quick release for when you want to take pics and adds very little bulk when you put the cam in a bag. I realise that I will either be wearing my cam (I bought a fantastically comfortable strap from crumpler also) or storing it in a larger bag such as a rucksack. This is perfect for ensuring it is protected either way. Not suitable for a rainy day but those days don't tempt my out with my cam anyway. Recommended.

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 May 2013
I chose this router based on the positive reviews here. I'm not techy at all but it was an easy set up even for me. We have had fibre optic broadband (talk talk) for over a year and the supplied router has been poor, dropping out frequently and driving my multi screen teens mad. This took five minutes to set up. Plugged in to bt openreach modem (supplied when we had fibre fitted), switched on, plugged laptop into the first LAN port on the router and as soon as we opened google, the asus set up window opened. Two minutes later we are flying. Wifi set up and it was easy to change the name of the router and the wifi password to the same as we had before. This meant we did not have to reconfigure all our many gadgets and visitors to the house don't have to re-enter passwords etc. Performance is brilliant so far. We got 37 mb wired and 32/36 mb wireless upstairs, where the router is situated, and 17/24 mb downstairs. Compare that to the 4mb I measured on the downstairs pc before the switchover. I'm very glad I switched. It was worth every penny.

Samsung NC210 Netbook Intel Atom (N550) 1.5GHz 1GB 250GB 10.1 inch WSVGA Non-Gloss LED Backlight LAN WLAN BT Webcam Windows 7 Starter Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little machine, 14 April 2011
I am not a techie geek but having decided I wanted a netbook, I wanted to get something that would last, rather than pay 150 pounds on ebay for a somewhat dated samsung NC10. I particularly wanted a machine with a dual core processor and this one fit the bill. Samsung has a solid reputation for quiet, well built machines so when I looked at their latest range, there was the new NC range or the NF range. The NF range has a curvy shape that you either love or hate. I hate. This model, on the other hand, is elegance itself. Very slim, silver and black, fantastic keyboard, really really quiet (you can reduce the noise to absolute silence, which suits me when I use it at work). I upgraded it immediately to 2GB ram (£19 and two minutes work) and this improved the functioning. The battery life is said to be up to fifteen hours. I haven't tested that accurately yet but I have had it for five days and only charged it up once. Phenomenal. The machine is put to sleep at the touch of a button and wakes on reopening and is ready to use in seconds. The touchpad is bigger than previous models and has some of the advantages of a touchscreen but I also bought a tiny little silver and black mouse from amazon and this works fine. The techie stuff you can get elsewhere but I am one happy user! Ebuyer were cheaper than Amazon seller on this occasion but that might change. I unreservedly recommend this. I have had lots of envy from friends, particularly about its good looks!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2011 12:34 AM BST

William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story
William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story
by Matt Rudd

5.0 out of 5 stars A real laugh out loud read, 16 Nov. 2009
This joins the handful of books that have made me laugh out loud rather than smile. In a genre heaving with dull books from authors trying too hard, Rudd manages an effortless, fresh and well written offering. My husband only rarely reads novels, preferring military history and 1st century texts; I encouraged him to read this and he really enjoyed it so buy for any attached man this Christmas - it will have wide appeal. A word to the last reviewer; the story would not be half so funny if the main character were to be more mature and insightful!

Elia Teapot with Tray - Stainless Steel TRA-45S
Elia Teapot with Tray - Stainless Steel TRA-45S

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically engineered teapot, 15 Nov. 2009
I craved one of these after having tea in the very elegant tea rooms of Howick Hall in Northumberland (the home of Earl Grey) after a walk in the beautiful arboretum. Though the rooms are in keeping with the house, the tea pots are these wonderfully crafted modern design and they are just brilliant - steady pour and no drips. I am ordering one because they are the best tea pots I have ever used and they look very beautiful too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 5:47 PM BST

Nokia 5300 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Nokia 5300 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant phone, 4 April 2008
I have had this phone for six months now and it is still utterly perfect and does everything that I could possibly want it to do. Battery capacity is very good. The key pad is superb and texting is the easiest on any phone I have had so far. MP3 capability is nice but I don't really need it. Now that I have a new car with bluetooth capacity, this phone is coming into its own on long journeys - I can operate it from a small switch on the steering wheel and just chat or do business 'safely' as I drive. I cannot fault this phone and my kids are cross because it is better than theirs!! Don't even hesitate - buy it.

Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Emile Hirsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable film, 22 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Into the Wild [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
The other reviewers tell the story. This film portrays the intensity and idealism of youth; the challenge for young people when they have to face the reality of the world we live in and in particular how difficult that is when they reject the values of their own upbringing. The film was also an affecting portrayal of the impact on children of growing up in a family where there is emotional and physical violence. Characterisation and performance were excellent. This is a film to ponder on, as the story of your own life unfolds. I will watch it again with my own teenage sons and no doubt it will create much for us to discuss and contemplate together.

TomTom ONE v3 Europe Satellite Navigation System (Without Bluetooth)
TomTom ONE v3 Europe Satellite Navigation System (Without Bluetooth)

4.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, 22 Mar. 2008
I spent ages reading reviews and looking at the different options for a sat nav, while making do with my trusty A-Z. The reviews about TomTom support were off putting and I very nearly went for the Garmin. However, my children were very keen to have a novelty voice on the sat nav and I must admit I was concerned that I would get very tired of listening to the same voice giving instructions. The Garmin only gives that option, unless you are very technically minded. We have had this TomTom now for a week and have given it a run through its paces. It is very easy to use and finds satallites quickly. It was no problem connecting to OneHome and maps/speed camera/extra voice updates were very easy. The unit is a nice neat little box - I think a widescreen would be too obstrusive. My only gripe is that the instructions don't make it clear how long to charge it up for. The first charge lasted a short time, which is apparently normal. I am looking forward to having a more stress free drive in Europe in the summer. I see amazon have lowered the price since last week, which is Sod's Law! Buy something and then never look back! The Portable DVD player I have just ordered has gone up 20 pounds in three weeks!

After You'd Gone
After You'd Gone
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving tale, 30 Aug. 2007
This review is from: After You'd Gone (Paperback)
A beautiful and tragic story that made me cry. If you have been touched by loss of love in your own life, this will resonate. It is a deeply moving portrayal of two people who fall deeply in love; to describe their relationship as a romance is not to do it justice. Throughout the book, however, the main protagonist is in a coma and there are questions over what led her to become depressed and have an accident. The sub-plot, a portrayal of the underneath of a dysfunctional family group, is fascinating. This is a memorable book, one like The Time Travellers Wife that is not easily forgotten.

Page: 1 | 2