ARRAY(0xb3d0ef3c)

Profile for F. Hugh Eveleigh > Reviews

Content by F. Hugh Eveleigh

F. Hugh Eveleigh (Winchester, UK)

The Daughter Of Time
The Daughter Of Time
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard III, 21 Feb 2013
Topical these days (less so when first written) and a spur in my case to investigate the life and times of Richard III from a documentary point of view as opposed to a detective novel format which this book is. As Ms Tey is dead I don't feel too bad saying that some of the lines of dialogue are just too simplistic to be real or am I living in a whirl of self-indulgence. But I would recommend it with a few reservations.

A Doomed Marriage: Britain and Europe
A Doomed Marriage: Britain and Europe
by Daniel Hannan
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best short summation of the EU/UK relationship, 24 Dec 2012
I have given this essay to a few friends to read as it is so wonderfully clear in its assessment of the relationship between the EU and the UK. As one who despises the EU's lack of legitimacy and its aggressively anti-democratic nature it is solace to eyes and brain to read this factual and practical review. If there are any europhiles left do please consider reading it as it is not confrontational or bombastic or unreasoned. It is spot on.

Forgotten Garden
Forgotten Garden
Price: 2.63

3.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten garden, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Forgotten Garden (Kindle Edition)
Complex plot which just about holds together and ultimately sorts itself out but one has to be on the ball and patient with it. I feel as if I have read or heard about some of the strands of mystery and make believe before and so there is a degree of comfort in reading it. What is not comfortable is some of the pedestrian writing. There are many sentences and phrases throughout which a primary school pupil might use (or might not, and that would depend on the imagination of the child) and I have to say that there were two occasions when I spontaneously laughed at the banality of the imagery. But who is the book for? If you've come from Colm Toibin or Anita Brookner or any such, then you will be disappointed. The book is not literary but it is a good read and even though I did at times think of immediately consigning it to my Amazonian Cloud as "I have read this' (and I would have kidded myself) I did not, and I reached the end.

Watermelons: How Environmentalists are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing Your Children's Future
by James Delingpole
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Watermelons by James Delingpole, 3 Mar 2012
Delingpole is one of those writers whose enthusiasm sometimes outshines the glitter of celebrity but in this case, (for all his occasional outrageous form), the kernel of veracity is consistent throughout. I have read some seven 'sceptic' books on the climate thing and contrariwise quite a few which purport to give the 'consensus' view and as a result of all my reading and investigation and with this book as an end piece, am now one who is no longer sceptical but sure that the case for man-made global warming/climate change just does not add up. I take the Spectator and read Delingpole weekly. He is always good value and so reasonable with it. He is not a fanatic, just a dedicated journalist seeking the truth or as close as he can get to it. No hesitation in recommending the book.

The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
by Douglas Carswell
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Carswell and Hannan's The Plan, 5 Jan 2009
The most refreshingly detailed action plan for restoring Britain (and a few other countries if they cared to consider) to a sense of purpose and democracy, that i have read in years. It is accurately and well written. One wonders where the individual authors drew the line for their specific contributions as the style is consistent throughout. I can easily agree with 95% of their suggestions and I am sure that if either author had the chance to speak to me I might well add the remaining 5%.

The beauty of the book is that it is so reasonably argued and apparently do-able by a new government determined to re-introduce the idea of political accountability to as low down the line as possible - the Councils and in some cases the individuals themselves. We live in a second-hand and second-rate Britain but this book and its detailed criticisms and suggestions offer a new start. I shall be buying a couple of extra copies to send to friends. Once read there is the need to re-tell its contents to whoever will listen - be warned!