Profile for Ms. Josephine M. Howard > Reviews

Content by Ms. Josephine ...

Ms. Josephine M. Howard (Rugby UK)

Robert Crumb's Book of Genesis
Robert Crumb's Book of Genesis
by Robert Crumb

5.0 out of 5 stars Smash Hit Inspired Birthday Gift, 19 Nov. 2009
This book seemed like an inspiration to give for a birthday circa 50 for someone knowing a lot about art litarature, and being a composer and very savez about most things. It proved to be spot on, I now have the reputation of being telepathic. I sneaked a look before sending it off, and think I should maybe get a copy for myself, it struck me as being witty, informed, funny and exactly the right kind of religious thing for an atheist. The author has genius.

The Bette Davis Collection (Now Voyager / The Letter / Dark Victory / Mr Skeffington) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Vincent Sherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Bette Davis never dies, 8 July 2009
Four Bette Davis DVD's have all been rivetting to watch. Melodrama will never ever be like this again. I haven't smoked for ten years but this was a temptation. Also some great early Bogart in one of them, a clinch with the stable boy -- fantastic. The sound track is ropey but this sort of adds to the experience. Also so interesting and inspiring for the costumes, furniture, behaviour; we have lost 'stylish' so it is good to have on film. Hats and shoes and makeup and -beautiful expressive eyes. Lost world, sigh...

Brazil [1985] [DVD]
Brazil [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Pryce
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Prophetic, 7 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Brazil [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this at an SF convention in Edinburgh, in the small hours, where I was a Guest of Honour (as Josephine Saxton) specially put on for me by a fan who wore an excellent slouch trilby at all times. Seeing it again recently I find that it has improved, and I would not have thought that possible. A lot of its material is 1984 but with humour and excitement but the first rate English Surrealism tells several 'truths' simultaneously. There is not one boring moment,much fear and a lot of prophesy, a lot of which has now happened. Work of genius, no less.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2010 3:36 AM BST

Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Withnail and I, 7 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Withnail And I [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
I do not think that this film could ever become passe. It is wonderfully funny, and now that I have it on DVD I feel more complete; it is the highest quality comfort-rag a person could have and reminds me of some of my life's more transcendent times in the world of long-past carefree binges. Everything here is authentic and all the acting is matchless.