Profile for David P > Reviews

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera Body Only - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera Body Only - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Offered by berlin foto

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for D80, 1 Dec 2012
I bought this camera as a replacement for my broken D80 which I'd had for a number of years and which I thought was an excellent all round camera. The D3200 is smaller than the D80 and doesn't feel as solid as that camera. I haven't yet had time to explore it fully but initial impressions:
- The menu system is much easier to navigate and is a move forwards.
- Where's the depth of Field button? I've had this on cameras years and miss it.
- There's no plastic screen protector - a backward step.
- Omitting the lens motor from the body means my excellent Sigma 17-70 lens (no in-built motor) has to be used with manual focus which I find very sensitive and difficult to use.
My daughter and her husband who are SLR novices also have a D3200, have used it more extensively and have produced some good photos so I'm cofident that it will perform well. I may just have to buy a new wide angle zoom.

Beat About the Bush: Mammals
Beat About the Bush: Mammals
by Trevor Carnaby

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Read, 1 Dec 2012
This isn't a dry impersonal reference book but a good engaging read. I'd expect to dip in and out of a book like this but I'm about half way through reading it cover to cover. There are many instances of the author recounting his own personal expeeriences which for me add to the success of the book. Because I have been drawn into the book as a whole I have learned about animals I might not otherwise have read about. Because it's not laid out like a typical reference book it can be a difficult to find specific things. It's a good book to complement a more rigorously formatted standard reference book. Strongly Recommended.

Smither's Mammals of Southern Africa: A Field Guide
Smither's Mammals of Southern Africa: A Field Guide
by Peter Apps

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Detailed Guide, 1 Dec 2012
The book is well laid out and grouped by species. The text is concise and illustrations are clear; the ones showing relative animal sizes being particularly effective. All in all a good reference book and small enough to carry easily.