Profile for Rammer > Reviews

Fly fishing on wild becks
Fly fishing on wild becks
by Mr Pat Regan

3.0 out of 5 stars Found it irritating but enjoyed, 5 Mar 2014
I cannot agree more with Richard123. I thought exactly the same about the style of writing, mainly the overuse of certain words and phrases. Lots of typos and formatting errors. Also, the calling of other anglers buffoons and fools for using different methods to his.

I also agree with Richard123 on his use of light tippets. On the rivers described in the book and for the flies he uses to fish with, 0.14mm line (approx 2.5lbs standard nylon, 4lbs double strength) is quite thin enough to deceive most fish, especially when Pat describes his ideal water levels and colour. I also think that a 6', 3 weight rod ridiculous for the stretches of the river Ribble, Hodder and Lune Pat fishes. He will have very little control over his line and fly drag. Looking at one of the photos in the book, the small rod would lead to the full/straight arm movement when casting.

However, I did enjoy about 3/4s of the book as it describes fishing the types of rivers I fish now. I also started my fly fishing on the river Hodder, at higher Hodder bridge, in the 70s when 13 years old. Dry fly was the norm for us in those days and catching on wet fly was a rare occurrence. To call dry fly fishing on these rivers a cult is elevating himself to to a level that just does not exist. I would say that most anglers I know, and that's quite a few, would all prefer to use dry fly as first option and often persist when other fly methods would work better.

I, like Pat, generally tie flies from observing naturals and his patterns are quite similar to mine. I would definitely drop the split wing approach as I did a number of years ago and migrate on to poly-post parachute flies, which are far more successful and easier to tie. Poly-post flies prove that wing colouration makes no difference as I have tested natural colours against hi-vis versions without noticing any difference in catch rates, even in the lowest, clearest water conditions.