Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mens Pure Wool Black Tail Coat
Mens Pure Wool Black Tail Coat
Offered by Richard Paul Sales Ltd
Price: £199.99 - £250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy buyer, 12 April 2014
I needed a tail coat and spent quite a bit of time looking at a range of online shops. What attracted me to this one was the price - it was on offer and so was about £120 cheaper that one I had seen on another site. I did wonder if it would be of a suitable quality but decided to take the risk as the saving to be made was very appealing. The parcel arrived very quickly and exactly in the time scale that had been predicted. When I opened it and tried it on I was very pleased with the fit and the quality.

Origin
Origin

5.0 out of 5 stars Place brain in neutral and just enjoy, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Origin (Kindle Edition)
I would suggest that readers should not try to employ logic or reason as they get stuck into this book. It takes most if not all of the alternative theories and conspiracies about history and humanity, chucks them together and gives the mix a good stir. The result if a heady mix that has the characters leaping from place to place and dramatic scenario to even more dramatic scenario. If I had wanted to head high-brow literature I would download such books and I would not judge this book by those standards. This book was fun, fast paced and simply enjoyable to settle down with.

Revelations (Extinction Point Series Book 3)
Revelations (Extinction Point Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable end to the trilogy, 12 April 2014
I was looking forward to this final book in the trilogy and when I downloaded it I read it in one day - yes it is a good light read that entertains and takes the reader into an alternative world. I enjoyed it as it finally gave the reader something of the bigger picture but not the whole set of answers. I do not want to spoil the plot for others but I can say that it steered an interesting course between the end of all earth life on the one hand and a resurgent humanity on the other. There were some elements that I felt could have been different, eg I thought there was a little too much harmony between the survivors as in reality I reckoned that the military hierarchy and human ethical assumption would have possible broken down a lot more. I still enjoyed the book and felt that the ending could leave the way open for a new series.

A Noble Cause
A Noble Cause

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting approach to the mind, 5 April 2014
This review is from: A Noble Cause (Kindle Edition)
At first I was not too sure what to make of this story. At times I was not totally sure if I wanted to persist with the book but I am glad that I did. It was not just another thriller but offered what I found to be a very interesting take on where to hide something that people would want and kill to possess. I would have liked a little more of how this could or would be used and to see something of the bigger picture but I still thoroughly enjoyed the book

Extinction
Extinction

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a read, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Kindle Edition)
Rather than give a summary of the plot and risk spoiling it for others or adding too much to the "product description" I will offer my general reaction to the story.

After the prologue I felt I was getting into an enjoyable but fairly traditional adventure story. After a while I had forgotten the prologue and the scenario it offered. I think this was because the plot kept moving forward at a good pace with spectacular crises and disasters to keep me occupied. The characters were what I would expect from such an adventure story.

As things progressed though I noticed that unlike other disaster adventure books, this one did not veer away from the really big and dreadful scenes. Many other books will threaten such events but never actually offer them up.

The last couple of chapter and the epilogue however were what prompted me to give the 5th star. I kept thinking that the book was ending but then came the final corner of the story. I could not have guessed what lay round it. The big picture thinking of the author was breathtaking and left me almost a little stunned. A most enjoyable book

Beneath the Deep
Beneath the Deep

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't think, just enjoy, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Beneath the Deep (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book but when I stopped to think about it this feeling tended to slip. There was lots of action and a plot that kept pushing forwards but I would have liked the story to answer some of the questions that the story raised eg about the nature of the ancient civilisation, the reality behind the science and what was motivating the opposing sides. I normally prefer an action novel of the type that deals with such questions but I still enjoyed it.

Atlantis- A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Book 6)
Atlantis- A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plot and pace, 9 Mar. 2014
Another great book to get immersed in. It supplies fast pace, a sense of mystery and good locations across the globe. If you need to lose yourself in a story that draws you away from the pressures of a busy week, I would suggest you chose this one. It worked for me.

The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones 8) (payne and jones Series)
The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones 8) (payne and jones Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Mar. 2014
I have to say that I liked this book - there was lots of good old action, enough violence to satisfy and action based characters who drove the plot forward at a fast pace. It was a story that I could relax into and use as an enjoyable escape at the end of a busy week. What I think it comes down to though for me is that while I usually like a bit more science or history what I liked best was the relationship between Pane and Jones because for me this works.

Flare
Flare

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful if a little scary, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Flare (Kindle Edition)
I must say at the outset that I loved this book. It was good to see main characters who did not seem to be super heroes and who struggled to make the decisions necessary to survive while maintaining something of the good traits that characterise humanity.

That the book was set in the UK was also welcome - mainly because almost all of the locations are known to me. It was this that was a bit scary or at least thought provoking for I was forced to think of what would it really be like if such a solar flare happened - not just on another continent but in places I knew.

Exodus (Extinction Point Series Book 2)
Exodus (Extinction Point Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable second in the series, 9 Mar. 2014
Again I enjoyed this book as much as the first volume and did so for the same reasons. In this review what I would like to highlight however is that I felt it was good to see the author not going for a happy ending at any stage of the story. I will not take away from the enjoyment of those who have not read the book yet but can say that difficult themes were tackled and the ending of this volume was good because it was not was I expected and was all the better because of this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20