Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Dourado: A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Series Book 1)
Dourado: A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Non stop reading fun, 15 Aug. 2014
I have read most of the books in this series and have enjoyed them all. Even thought I tend to prefer my plots and characters to be a bit more developed I can never turn down an opportunity to read another Dane Maddock book.

There is constant movement, action and adventure in exotic locations across the world.

What I think draws me to the books though are the main characters whose enjoyable friendship and humour as a central feature is in contrast to most other books in the genre.

Total Relaxation
Total Relaxation

5.0 out of 5 stars Good help to relaxation, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Total Relaxation (Audio CD)
I have found this to be a very useful tool to use in my work. It should of course not be confused with formal meditation but seen and used for what it is - a means to help someone relax. The introduction section is well paced so that the person is in a good place to begin to relax and the guided visualisation is well constructed so that enough is left to the person own imagination.

The Stolen
The Stolen

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed plot with characters I cared about, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Stolen (Kindle Edition)
This was a wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable book to read.

There were all the elements I would usually look for in a thriller - fast paced plot, an element of violence, all tossed in a rich mix of adventure.

What made this really stand out for me though was the level of detail. The characters were developed in a way that provided more depth than many books in this genre and there had clearly been a lot of research conducted into Roma culture and history. Then there was the level of detail of the plot which wove together Nazi loot, cutting edge scientific research, history/mythology and occult or esoteric power.

I read it in the course of two days - a great way to unwind and submerse myself in the story.

The Bosch Deception
The Bosch Deception

5.0 out of 5 stars Good plot and characterisation, 9 Aug. 2014
Another very enjoyable story from a great writer.

There was a good plot that provided enough twists and turns to keep me wondering about where it might all go to. I do not want to spoil the plot for others so will limit myself to saying that one of the things that appealed to me on looking back over the book when I had finished it was how an element of the plot was revealed to be little but a morning mist that vanished when the sun shone on it. The build up of this element was wonderful though which made the final revelations even more enjoyable. Part of this was that the author has developed the characters much more than is usual in thriller-type books.

The Belial Ring (The Belial Series Book 3)
The Belial Ring (The Belial Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good use of mythology to develop an adventure story., 6 Aug. 2014
I liked the story even though I felt that the revelation that of many of the main characters were in fact super heroes was a bit over-done. I would also have liked to know a bit more of the background to the Fallen etc ie who they actually were rather than what mythology remembers them to be.

This is not to put down the use of mythology, which I thoroughly enjoyed and found interesting especially as I have studied this general subject at Uni as part of my degree many years ago

The story was still very enjoyable though in spite of my couple of negative notes above and I will certainly read the next book in the series.

The Belial Library (The Belial Series Book 2)
The Belial Library (The Belial Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging adventure story, 3 Aug. 2014
After reading the first book in the trilogy I was looking forward to this one.

I liked it as it did exactly what I hoped it would - it delivered a good yarn that brought me to a range of exotic locations via a twisting plot line dripping with mystery that was enjoyable to follow. It was good to escape into this as a means to relax after a couple of busy days at work.

While I know that the characters in such adventure novels are not expected to be detailed, I would have liked it however if some of the main characters had a few flaws and came across as a little more normal.

Stone Age
Stone Age

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable build up, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Stone Age (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book as I like exploring fiction that deals with the fall of human civilisation etc but in a way that incorporates adventure and a good plot.

This book dealt with the prepping bit and with the building up of characters' story lines and laid the foundation for future volumes that will I assume cover the next steps in the fall and attempted recovery of the human race.

I liked getting to know where the characters have come from and something of who they are, rather than just discover them as the world falls apart.

I look forward to the next book

The Belial Stone (The Belial Series Book 1)
The Belial Stone (The Belial Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable escapist adventure, 26 July 2014
I certainly enjoyed reading this book - a good adventure yarn with enough of a foundation in ancient myth to be of interest to me. There were enough gaps left in the background to the story to make another novel something to look forward to.

The Countershaded Ibex
The Countershaded Ibex

4.0 out of 5 stars A plot with a current feel, 26 July 2014
This was an interesting story given that as I was reading it I was seeing on the TV news the renewed clash between Israel and Hamas (July 2014). While I liked the plot I did struggle a little with getting a feel for the characters but what I enjoyed was the religious/political context of the plot.

Gone to Ground
Gone to Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Gone to Ground (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book thoroughly and on reflection I suppose a lot of this was to do with the almost ordinariness of the plot. There were no screaming zombies and yet there was lots of tension in the plot. As a reader I saw the new world through the eyes of the characters and so knew no more than them as they were regular people, rather than scientists.

There was enough of a glimpse of what was going on in the wider world though to know that all had changed and to allow suspense to build. The ending was certainly good and there was a good lead up to it.

I will look forward to more books from Cheryl

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19