Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Lost Valley: The Discovery (Part 1)
Lost Valley: The Discovery (Part 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good idea well worked out, 5 July 2014
An enjoyable read set in one of the wilderness areas of the world.

As it is a serial novel I was able to get through it fairly quickly. I found it easy to get to get settled into the story and liked the way the author developed characters who had some complex relationship issues.

The reason for the lost valley is well thought out and linking it in with tribal myths, which it turns out have a basis in reality, is a good touch.

Mens Rechargable Cordless Hair Clipper / Trimmer - Professional Kit
Mens Rechargable Cordless Hair Clipper / Trimmer - Professional Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 5 July 2014
I wanted something that did not cost a lot for beard trimming - this was very good value and came with no charge for postage. I had looked at a similar product for which I would have had to pay almost as much again for the postage.

It came in very good time and does exactly what I need it to do.

Icefall- A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Book 4)
Icefall- A Dane Maddock Adventure (Dane Maddock Adventures Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying light lunch, 5 July 2014
It was an enjoyable afternoon yesterday being able to sit down with a mug of good coffee and this book.

I sometimes find it hard to say what it is exactly that I like about the Dane and Bones stories but I think it comes down to not any single element but the combination of adventure, conspiracy, ancient history and characters who do not always conform to the expectations of the genre.

This story, not being a full novel, felt something of a satisfying light lunch rather than a full meal. It was enjoyable in itself but it also left space for the next instalment.

Keep them coming David.

Tablet of Destinies (Akkadian Trilogy Book 2)
Tablet of Destinies (Akkadian Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An good second act in the series, 13 Jun. 2014
I found that the good and enjoyable grip on history, plus a generous sprinkle of alternative history, continued in this book. The result was that the plot went in some directions that I could not have predicted and for which the story was all the more enjoyable.

Akkadian Dynasty (Akkadian Trilogy Book 1)
Akkadian Dynasty (Akkadian Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, if meandering, story, 13 Jun. 2014
I have to admit that the chapters that focused on the current political events within which the story is based did not do a lot for me. I know they set the scene but I felt there was a little too much volume here.

This did not however mean I didn't like the story - in fact I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the historical detail that the author brought to the story as well as the introducing of strands of alternative thinking as well.

The result was a good read - I was into this as we were packing to move house and it was the perfect book to get lost in as a means to relax at the end of a busy evening.

The Nemesis Program (Ben Hope, Book 9)
The Nemesis Program (Ben Hope, Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars A generous sprinkling of conspiracy theories and a dash of "what if, 13 Jun. 2014
I certainly enjoyed this book - just as I did the others in the series. There is plenty of action and a wide ranging set of locations.
The blurb sums up the plot well but there are two reflections I would like to add.

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed the taking of some factual elements in the form of Nikola Tesla's scientific experiments and then adding in a generous sprinkling of conspiracy theories and a dash of "what if." I have absolutely no idea if any element of this could ever be anywhere near true but it certainly made the story very enjoyable.

Secondly, while Ben Hope is often conscious of his own flaws I did however feel that the way he walked away from Brooke just before their wedding giving no explanation apart from Roberta being in danger. I do not expect thrillers to be deliver a detailed exploration of human behaviour but I think this could have been developed a bit more.

In conclusion I would add that many writers seem to tire a bit after a few books focused on one character but so far Scott Mariani is showing no signs of this - keep the books coming.

Shaving Factory Hand Made Shaving Brush XS Size
Shaving Factory Hand Made Shaving Brush XS Size
Offered by SHAVINGWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 25 April 2014
I was initially unsure about buying this brush as I wondered if it could be of good enough quality given the low price - compared to the usually higher price charged for many other brushes. I have been very happy with it though and for the price I feel that I cannot really go wrong.

The 13th Tablet (A Mina Osman Thriller)
The 13th Tablet (A Mina Osman Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 19 April 2014
The "product description" online gives a good overview of the plot and so I will give my personal reflections to the story rather than offer the same outline again.

The characters and plot are what I would expect from such a thriller and as a whole the book delivered an enjoyable read. I felt that the author delivered well on introducing some of the more detailed historical themes to the general reader eg aspects of historical Judaism in England and the Middle East that are not usually touched on by novels of this genre. He also allowed the characters to only solve the puzzle of the tablet after thought and exploration. I would however have liked to know more of this process and found it a little too general for my liking.

Overall though I liked the book and given it only cost 59p I really had to download it.

Ice Tomb Second Edition
Ice Tomb Second Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and fun, 13 April 2014
This is one of those novels that makes me glad that I have a Kindle - 75p for an enjoyable read and a good yarn to escape into on a day off from work. I liked the story with its two locations, Antarctica and the Moon and the developing tale of the ways in which the two are linked. It took some alternative history ideas and dropped them into a light hearted science fiction context in a way that provided a good read.

Printing Pleasure - Remanufactured Lexmark NO.3 ONE BLACK Ink Cartridge for Lexmark X2480, X2580, X3480, X3580, X4580, Z1380, Z1480, Z738
Offered by Printing Pleasure

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this, 13 April 2014
I was not too sure about whether or not to purchase this product - would I be wasting my money? The only down side is that the printer "thinks" the cartridge is almost empty but it still prints fine and I am happy with it. A good product at a very good price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18