Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Operation Barbarossa - The German Invasion of Soviet Russia (General Military)
Operation Barbarossa - The German Invasion of Soviet Russia (General Military)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good on Kindle, 27 Dec. 2014
A very detailed historical examination of Operation Barbarossa and before I bought it I was not sure whether or not such a detailed volume was suitable for Kindle.

I would have to say now that it is suitable - ok, so I cannot flick the pages as much as a hard copy but I have found that perhaps because of this I am reading it in more detail than I would a regular book and am taking a bit more time over it.

Vestige
Vestige

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable (read via Kindleunlimited), 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Vestige (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book from start to finish and I found that it was the perfect way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. I was able to really get into the story and found it quite easy to accept the outlines of technology and scientific possibility offered to the reader.

Apart from being a good story with an interesting plot there is also the deeper human question being addressed ie who are we and where did we come from. There were aliens and interplanetary travel but who really are the aliens.

The Telegraph
The Telegraph

5.0 out of 5 stars A good version of a good paper, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Telegraph (Kindle Edition)
I have been subscribing to The Telegraph for over a week now after trying a few single copy purchases of it and another couple of newspapers.

My reflections here are not to do with The Telegraph as a newspaper but specifically to do with the Kindle version.

I find the layout and ease of moving around the Kindle version to be straightforward and I think that on the whole I now tend to read more of the paper than when I bought only a hard copy version. I also find that I read the paper for longer too.

The best thing about it though is being able to access it first thing in the morning as I make my very early breakfast. There is no stopping off at a shop with a rushed look at the headlines but time for a relatively relaxed browse through it followed by a more detailed read later.

The one thing I miss in the Kindle version is the chess column.

Xenophobia
Xenophobia

5.0 out of 5 stars Action and reflection (read via Kindleunlimited), 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Xenophobia (Kindle Edition)
In addition to being an action book with a list of heroes there were two things that made it stand out for me.

Firstly there were plenty of people doing bad or negative things but there were few villains of the type usually found in action or thriller type novels.

Secondly I found this to be a very thoughtful book. The characters explore what it might be to have First Contact - it is not straightforward because there is conflict but also positive engagement and an attempt to communicate and understand.

A book I thoroughly enjoyed.

Feedback
Feedback

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and enthralling (read via Kindleunlimited), 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Feedback (Kindle Edition)
A most enjoyable and enthralling book that I found a compelling read and whose central character I found to be engaging.

At first I found my thinking being pulled in different ways as to what was going on and I tried to work out the connections within the first couple of chapters. The real plot was not revealed for a while but much later in the book I discovered that what I had thought was the real plot was not really the real plot and that what was going on was something much more dramatic.

Aliens, UFOs, conspiracies and much more but I loved the overall context of packaging of the story - the big picture.

There might also have been a more subtle strand woven into the story about learning from choices and not being trapped.

I loved this book.

Anomaly
Anomaly

5.0 out of 5 stars Upside down expectations (read via Kindleunlimited), 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
What would first contact really be like? There are many scenarios offered in a wide range of Sci-Fi novels but for me this one stands out as different.

There is very little violence - just enough to give parts of the story an edge and to demonstrate how far humanity still has to develop in order to achieve any kind of maturity.

What there is however is carefully developed plot about a first contact that turns other fictional representations upside down just as the anomaly turned around the world into which it arrived.

I enjoyed having as the two main characters, ordinary people rather than out and out scientists but yet also ordinary people who happened to have useful skills and insights.

There is also I suspect another aspect to the story, that is not only about extraterrestrial life. I think it could be seen as posing the question as to how do we understand that which is different and outside our experience.

The Roswell Protocols
The Roswell Protocols

5.0 out of 5 stars Visitors! (read via Kindleunlimited), 6 Dec. 2014
I began to read this book yesterday and immediately found that the take on the whole alien genre was a little different - and "good different" from that of many other books. This morning I really got stuck into the book over my Saturday morning pot of coffee and couple of fresh croissants. As I type this, it is almost time for bed and I have finished reading the book.

This book offered a complex web of plots that included personal betrayal along with quests for national and personal power.

What I liked most though was that while there was a lot of fighting and death throughout the story, this was not a core theme. There was a clear struggle to try to see that the conflict was not necessary but had come about by mistake, by a lack of understanding and a failure to communicate - how often can this be said of real life too?

The struggle to understand this drove the story forwards and contributed to an enjoyable ending.

I was left however with the thought - why did they come to Earth in the first place? I am sure this will be dealt with in another book. I certainly hope so.

The Guardian and the Observer
The Guardian and the Observer

5.0 out of 5 stars A good version of a great newspaper, 6 Dec. 2014
My reflection here and the 5 stars I have headed this review with are primarily to do with the Kindle version of the Guardian/Observer rather than the paper itself. I would of course also give 5 stars for the content but I am assuming here that someone would only buy the paper in either format if they liked the thrust of the writing and ideas found there.

I would say that since I subscribed to this Kindle version of the paper I spend a lot more time reading it. Trying to reflect on why this might be I have come to the conclusion that it is to do with the ease of navigation and because I simply enjoy reading on a Kindle and so having the paper in this format brings two enjoyable things together.

As for what I have found to be the ease of navigation - I have found that at time it feels to be easier than the hard copy. Using the "back" and the "front page" buttons make this very straightforward. It is also very helpful that the reader is not compelled to always flick forwards in the paper but can scan backwards through the sections just as in the hard copy version.

I also enjoy the increase in the number of photographs that are now included. These add to the sense of reading a real version of the paper rather than just an collection of texts, good though the texts may be.

Melt Zone: Action-Adventure Thriller
Melt Zone: Action-Adventure Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting recipe of mystery (Kindleunlimited), 30 Nov. 2014
An enjoyable book that I read for escapism after coming home from a busy day at work. There were Nazis, new technologies, inhospitable landscapes and an interesting plot.

On the downside I felt that the Russian scientist (who is on the "good side") could have been a bit of a stronger character instead of the rather weak person I felt I saw in the story.

Breakthrough
Breakthrough

4.0 out of 5 stars Dolphins! (read via Kindleunlimited), 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Breakthrough (Kindle Edition)
The main reason I liked this book was what I considered to be the quite novel plot. This revolved around a scientific development in the understanding of dolphins - I will say no more here in case I spoil the enjoyment of others.

The plot, as it developed, certainly encompassed a range of set pieces that did seem to reach increasingly higher peaks and while I liked this pattern I did not quite feel them or get a sense of place, in spite of the good descriptions.

I have downloaded the next book and am looking forward to reading it - which should say something of the enjoyment I received from this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17