Profile for Percival Anderson > Reviews

Percival Anderson

Love: And A Million Other Things
Love: And A Million Other Things

4.0 out of 5 stars From Under the Shadow of Dr Mabuse, 5 Aug. 2010
Claudia Brucken, lead singer of Propaganda and subsequently Act, had an impossible task making an album that would live up to the massive success of her former ZTT debut with Propaganda's 'A Secret Wish'. I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I first heard the lead single, Absolut(e), but I was not a big fan of the early '90s dance music, 2D when the mid-80s stuff had been so 3D. When she was recording the album, I read a brief interview, perhaps in Melody Maker (?) in which she stated her intention to name all the tracks with one word titles, but somewhere during the process she must have changed her mind, I thought, on the release of the second single, Kiss Like Ether; much better than Absolut(e), reminiscent of Duel, and just as good a pop song. The album was a bit disappointing at the time, just not as dramatic as I was expecting, and reviews were not enthusiastic either, causing this record to sink without trace. But as the years passed, I found myself listening to this album a lot, and I now appreciate the wonderfully spacious and smooth production, the surreal influence on the songwriting, and the very catchy pop hooks. Love: and a Million Other Things has definitely improved with age (as has Act's Laughter, Tears and Rage). I love that the reissue Cherry Red looks like it has put together includes a few mixes from the vaults that weren't available on the CD singles at the time, and I am about as excited about this release as I was when I saw Cherry Red were reissuing Helen Terry's Blue Notes album. I suspect nostalgia has something to do with my joy at these releases, but I would warmly recommend this album to anyone - it is unique and full of excellent songs - it just needed that one killer classic to elevate it to the iconic status of A Secret Wish.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2012 4:32 PM BST