Profile for Helen B > Reviews

Content by Helen B

Helen B (Cambridgeshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder of our beloved kitty, 31 July 2013
I bought this crystal cat as a reminder of our recently gone tabby kitty. It is a lovely piece - not too cutesy and the stripes are very clever and really do look like tabby markings. A great piece.

Burt's Bees Lemon & Vitamin E Bath and Body Oil
Burt's Bees Lemon & Vitamin E Bath and Body Oil
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells lovely, isn't greasy a real winner for me, 31 July 2013
Both myself and my husband love this oil, I use it in my bath - not too much though - and I also rub a little into damp skin after my dip or after a shower. It seems to be absorbed quite quickly but as for most oil you will need to use it sparingly. It smells divine and as I said my husband has it in his bath too as it's not a girlie smell - just lemony and fresh. A real winner for us.

The End of Your Life Book Club
The End of Your Life Book Club
by Will Schwalbe
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and interesting book with some excellent book reading ideas too, 10 July 2013
I was a little sceptical as to whether I'd enjoy this book as I wasn't totally sure what to really expect. As there were so many positive reviews and it was on the Kindle Daily Deal of 99p I thought it was a no brainer to buy. Well dear reader, I loved it. I found the tips and comments on how Will and his mother dealt with her cancer very helpful. Reading it on my Kindle Paperwhite I found that I'd marked and highlighted several bits to return to which is something I love about eBooks (I love paper ones too!).

I also really enjoyed getting some new suggestions for books to read (and if I have one negative comment it would be that I'd have liked a bit more detailed feedback on some of the books they discussed). However, the index of books read at the back is very useful.

Mary Ann(e) Schwalbe was truly an amazing and inspiring woman and someone we could all take a lesson from with regard to her charitable works and compassion towards others less fortunate. If only everyone behaved this way the world would be a much better place me thinks.

All in all an interesting, informative and moving read which I'd thoroughly recommend.

The Vegetarian Pantry - Fresh and modern meat-free recipes
The Vegetarian Pantry - Fresh and modern meat-free recipes
by Chloe Coker and Jane Montgomery
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully photographed book with lovely recipes too!, 17 Mar 2013
I was not sure about buying this book (I got it from another online book retailer however - sorry Amazon) as I couldn't find anything out about it. Because it was such at such a bargain price I went for it, I'm so glad I did. It's a shame there isn't a preview for the book as this would illustrate how lovely it is, so I have scanned a few images and uploaded them myself so you can see what I mean.

The book is beautifully produced with a sumptuous photo on every page for EVERY dish and not just a picture of a carrot or an arty shot of some tomatoes that you get in some books without an illustration of what you are going to get if you make the dish (ie Meat Free Mondays), so well done to Chloe, Jane and William for such a lovely product.

Here are a few of the things on offer that caught my eye:-

- Saffron & Smoked Paprika Frittata with Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Chicory Leaves stuffed with Beetroot, Cumin & Mixed Grains (I've tried this one already and it is lovely)
- Filo Samosas (with a spiced butternut filling and a courgette, sundried tomato and feta filling) with Garlic Yoghurt Dip
- Roasted Figs with Sweet Sherry Dressing, Mozzarella and Pinenuts
- Sweet Potato Hummus with Homemade Breadsticks
- Spicy Tomato Ketchup (made with tinned tomatoes and minimum sugar so looks like a real winner)
- Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup with Cheese Scones
- Beetroot, Quinoa and Green Bean Salad with Spicy Ginger Dressing and Shallot Crisps
- Individual Baked Cheesecakes with Salted Honey Walnuts (a savoury cheesecake with an crust made from oatcakes)
- Pistachio, White Chocolate and Cranberry Biscotti
- Rhubarb, Orange and Vanilla Fools with Shortbread cookies
- French Toast stuffed with Bananas and served with a Berry Compote

Sound lovely don't they! Everything seems not too complicated and the measurements are in grams and cup measurements too so suitable for UK and USA cooks. I also, during my initial research find that this book is also sold under the title The Store Cupboard Vegetarian (which is the version I have).

I have hundreds of cookbooks mostly Vegetarian and Vegan - this certainly is one I'll be cooking from for the next few weeks and is going to be a very valuable addition to my collection :-)

Carol Of Joy
Carol Of Joy
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music - shame there is no composer details on the tracks, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Carol Of Joy (MP3 Download)
I'm giving this download 5 stars as the performance and music choice on this Christmassy compilation is great. There is a great mix of music genre all performed very well. I really love the Cowboy Carol (which I sang with my choir for the 1st time this year - I'd never come across it before - its really fun and a bit different). So thanks to The University of Utah Singers for some great work.

However, I'd give the Amazon listing a 2.5 - I have tried to get more details about the tracks (from Amazon) - ie the composer names - so far no joy (no pun intended) only a useless email with the composer shown as The University of Utah Singers which I know is not right as I know one or two of the composers ie track 4 - Hallelu! by Stephen Paulus

JUDGE DOUGHNUT OVEN TIN
JUDGE DOUGHNUT OVEN TIN
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mini Doughnut/Donut baking tin, 6 May 2012
I don't think the description clearly describes the actual size of the doughnuts when made, this tin will make little tiny bite sized ones. For the record the 'buns' will be a scant 5cm (just under 2" in old money) when baked. They went down a storm at a recent party so am delighted with the product.

The tin is very well constructed (heavy duty and non-stick), I sprayed mine with some oil and when the cakes were cool just twisted them a little to get them to pop out very easily as it's not quite as easy to remove them as with a conventional bun tin because of the doughnut holes.

The web is chuck full of lovely recipes for baked doughnuts so do a bit of googling for some ideas if you are not sure what to make.

I have now ordered a larger tin too so will pop a review of these on when it arrives.Wilton 6 Cavity Donut Pan

CPR All-in-One Call Blocker
CPR All-in-One Call Blocker
Price: 36.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but only takes 100 additional blocked numbers, 24 April 2012
I bought this product last year, it's simple to use and it works. However, what I didn't know (until I sought technical help today) is that you can only block 100 numbers (the box comes with 200 pre-programmed numbers too). We have now exceeded 100 blocked numbers - yes we do get a lot of nuisance calls! - so I now have to reset the box to clear it and start with re-blocking those numbers from call centres etc who haven't given up on calling us.

Such a shame about this as I can't find any reference to it only taking 100 numbers on the Amazon listing or on the manufacturers website. Would have given the product 5* if it wasn't for this :-(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 10:08 PM BST

MAGNETIC WHITEBOARD DRY ERASE MEMO BOARD FOR KITCHEN (M)
MAGNETIC WHITEBOARD DRY ERASE MEMO BOARD FOR KITCHEN (M)
Offered by whitestrawberry
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fridge whiteboard for a curved front fridge, 21 April 2012
I have been looking for a small whiteboard that would easily attach to my slighly curved front fridge and after some careful research saw that this item is flexible enough (unlike many others) to allow it to be used on slight curves.
The board is fantastic, it comes with a magnetic dry marker pen with it's own little eraser on the end, a separate cute little eraser (also magnetic), two magnetic 'buttons' and a cord and adhesive tape if you don't have something metal to attach the board to. (The board too is magnetic)
The product is of great quality and I have started using it already. It's such a useful and good idea - I use it to keep a note of what is in the fridge that needs using up to save waste. Would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone looking for a similar solution, fast delivery too. All in all a great buy, thanks!

The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
by Kathy Hester
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Brownies in the Slow Cooker - you bet!!, 8 April 2012
Well, I must admit I was sceptical about making 'baked' goods in a slow cooker but how wrong was I, the Chile (Chilli to us UK'ers) Chocolate Black Bean Brownies were amazing.

I have made several dishes now such as the Pumpkin and White Bean Lasagne which was served to meat eaters and they didn't notice, and the Perfectly Easy Everyday Brown Rice is a god send.

I agree with other reviewers that some of the recipes use Seitan but I make this myself and freeze it ready to use for this kind of cooking so this isn't an issue for me. Plus using a good quality vegan stock powder is an easy substitution for the stock/bouillon asked for in some recipes.

The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It! Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
by Celine Steen
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Some lovely recipes but the index annoys me, 8 April 2012
I do love this book and have used it many times now. The Vegan 'Parmesan' sprinkles and Dijon Portobello Steaks are basics I'm always using as is the Soya Milk Mayo. Another good thing is that (unlike a lot of US cookbooks) there are plenty of photos too. My only (tiny) niggle is the index - if you know what you want to make eg the Portobello steak if you look up P for Portobello or S for Steak there is no mention of the recipe as in the index is it is Mains and then under D for Dijon - annoying or what!
Still it's worth buying if you are Vegan (and particularly if you are new to veganism) some of the ingredients might need Googling for UK equivalents ie the word Meal us used as in Almond Meal where we call is Ground Almonds and also some ingredients can be a bit trickier to find ie Vital Wheat Gluten - which you can buy in the UK I might add.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3