Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Chris Long > Reviews

Content by Chris Long

Chris Long (Stirling, Scotland)

A Bright Cold Day
A Bright Cold Day

5.0 out of 5 stars This will always be one of my favourites, 14 May 2015
This review is from: A Bright Cold Day (MP3 Download)
I've been hoping this album would come onto Amazon as I don't buy music on iTunes.

This is one of my favourite albums of all time- so underrated. It's just beautiful, trippy. For me, it sits in that awesome place between electronic and real music, much like Submotion Orchestra.

This will always be one of my favourites

Letters Letters
Letters Letters

3.0 out of 5 stars How did I even buy this?, 14 May 2009
This review is from: Letters Letters (MP3 Download)
I do like this album, the out-of-tune singing, the bizarre lyrics, the cutesy male-female vocals, weird echo's etc.. it's fun, however it is HARD WORK to listen to!

I find that I swing between loving and loathing it's chaotic sound.. Which is perhaps what these guys were looking for? There's a certain amount of listening tension that I just can't shake off!

Worth buying if you're adventurous and can cope with the chaos. I especially like "Everyone's Afraid Of Fear" and "Dealer Dealer" - both have nicely layered sound.

Oh, and it's the kind of album that would help you sleep.. but also give you nightmares.

Night Moves (With 2 Bonus Tracks)
Night Moves (With 2 Bonus Tracks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me crazy for a while, 14 May 2009
Having worked with many notable artists before (M83, Air), it was about time Lisa did something of her own. And to be truthful, I'm proud of her. A great album which truly shows off her beautiful voice. The bass playing is phenomenal too, and really holds the album together. (I presume it's Juan Alderete from TMV?)

Be warned, though, the album can be rather sparse and harsh in places, feels a bit like walking barefoot sometimes. Definitely worth persevering with though.

Not easy listening by any stretch, but still chilled in parts.

Handwriting
Handwriting

4.0 out of 5 stars say what you will..., 14 May 2009
This review is from: Handwriting (MP3 Download)
Say what you will, but underneath the fuzz, effects and bad quality recording, one cannot deny the beauty of the song writing which has gone into this album. Tracks such as "Phone Calls From You" and "Kill2" are absolutely breathtaking!

For me, the lack of any repetition whatsoever means i have to play a track a few times in a row to fully enjoy it, hence the lack of a fifth star!

Otherwise, a stellar album- i enjoy every track. I wouldn't recommend the follow-up Softbo EP as much, however.

Softbo EP
Softbo EP

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was looking for?, 14 May 2009
This review is from: Softbo EP (MP3 Download)
Maybe i should have downloaded this first - but i was hoping for a sequel to Handwriting. Wasn't expecting it to be so electronic.

The thing about Handwriting which i loved so much was the melodies - these seemed to be absent from this follow-up. Perhaps too much pressure to churn out something new?

The Dark Third
The Dark Third

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately like this!, 14 May 2009
This review is from: The Dark Third (MP3 Download)
In response to "herbie handcock 'Herb'", if a nerd with Cubase makes this kind of music (i'm thinking of the 17 year old behind Khonnor - check him out!) then so be it. I like it, no matter how it is created or who creates it.

Whilst not the most musically proficient, there is enough quality instrumentation and plenty of unique melodic strains throughout the album to keep me interested. For me, it comes down to the fact that i just down right enjoy listening to this album, regardless of whether it is or isn't true prog.

Also, saw these guys when supporting Mew in Edinburgh. Great live- but I do prefer the album..

A good, refreshingly different album which is easy on the ears. I haven't tired after a number of years.