Profile for bookworm8 > Reviews

The Execution of Noa P. Singleton
by Elizabeth L Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartrending, 18 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Learning about the extended periods people can spend on death row was distressing in the extreme and this story makes the lives of inmates very vivid, very real, very upsetting.
With some shocks and surprises, and some un-looked for humanity, I ended up being very glad I'd read this book. Don;t want to spoil the plot so no more - I recommend you read it yourself and think carefully about the death penalty - it made me believe even more strongly that I do not want the state - any state - to kill in my name.

Roseanna (The Martin Beck series)
Roseanna (The Martin Beck series)
by Maj Sjowall

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 Mar 2014
Read it. Then read the next 9. Then, read them again. You won't be disappointed. Then pass them on or pass on the recommendation to read them - your friends will love you for it.

The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
by John Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, repetitive and pessimistic., 18 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite some evidence - which cannot be avoided by anyone reading newspapers or listening to the news - that some human beings are selfish, arrogant and totally immune to the idea of respect for other people and other people's property, I choose not to believe that we are all evil and that there is no hope for mankind. If Gray's book showed any way of dealing with the selfish and power-hungry it would have more appeal for me, as I do not doubt that we need to deal with those who are accruing power and wealth by evil and stealth. However, there are still a lot of good people in the world who have opportunities to harm others and do not do so. Such people may, in extreme conditions, behave differently, as we all may, but not necessarily so. Evidence exists of people who choose not to survive rather than survive by betraying all they have held dear and lived by - so I will not be re-reading this depressing, doom-laden book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 11:57 AM BST

Jar City (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 1)
Jar City (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 1)
by Arnaldur Indridason

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Mar 2014
I could not put this down, despite it making me very tense. Highly recommended if you like this crime noir genre.
Characters interesting, plot surprising, violence in context - I'll be looking for more Indridason.

Tefal Rk302e15 8-in-1 Cooker - Slow Cooker, Steamer, Rice Cooker, Porridge Maker (2012 Model)

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 18 Mar 2014
Not as expected. Did not seem very robust and I did not feel comfortable keeping it so returned it immediately in original condition and packaging. Amazon were excellent as usual, and I received a prompt refund. I bought a slow-cooker instead and am very pleased with it.

Almo Nature Rouge Dry with Chicken 750 g
Almo Nature Rouge Dry with Chicken 750 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An excellent product. Both of the adult cats I offered it to ate it quite happily, and they are usually quite fussy eaters. There was no offensive smell and I would be happy to buy and use this in future.

My Name Is Parvana
My Name Is Parvana
by Deborah Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph for imagination and control., 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Parvana (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When a local teenage girl gets imprisoned in Afghanistan, she needs all her hope, creativity and imagination to survive. The fact that she takes and keeps (mostly) the control of her imagination, using it to take her, in her imagination, to places far away from her imprisonment and therefore to persevere and to hope for a better future is impressive. The writing is beautiful, the other characters well-drawn. This fits with a previous trilogy but is strong enough to stand alone if you have not read the others. I enjoyed it and can recommend it if you have an interest in Afghanistan, or in the transition from girlhood to adulthood.

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
by Peter Swanson

2.0 out of 5 stars Light 'American crime' reading., 4 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story unfolds with alternate flashbacks and 'current' events, which are easy to follow. The characters are superficial, even George, whose memories are used as a reason for his irrational and frankly stupid behaviour, does not have much depth, so I did not care how much trouble he got into. The plot has been carefully worked out and yet even that, at the end, disappoints. Diana Lecter - oops, sorry, Liana Decter (surely this is not an accidental transposition by the author - is it meant to tell us she is evil, like the hinted-at Hannibal?) is also shallow, and her appearance is pushed as the reason why people do as she wishes - slim, long legs, large bosom, beautiful, long hair....... I did not care about this character by a few pages in and although I stuck the book out to the end, she was no more believable by then than she had been at the start. All in all, for me, a set of stereotypical stock characters (weak man, beautiful-but-evil poor girl, hypocritical, ruthless rich man, conscienceless crook, good cop ....) that had no appeal. Perhaps Peter Swanson will build on his good use of description and sense of place to create characters I like better in his next novel. However, if you like very American crime, this may be for you.

Black & Decker DV4800N Dustbuster - 4.8 Volt
Black & Decker DV4800N Dustbuster - 4.8 Volt

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will., 25 Jan 2014
An adequate, straightforward dust-collector. The nozzle is rather fat, so it won't easily get into crevices, but for picking up small amounts of dry mess - dust, spilt talc, crumbs, etc. it is satisfactory. It is easy to charge and to use, and sits quite neatly on a worktop, it does not need a wall-mounted holder. There is a light showing when it is connected/charging, which is useful, and it holds its charge for 5mins or thereabouts. It was a reasonable price and I am satisfied with it for the jobs I want to use it for.

Child's Pose [DVD]
Child's Pose [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luminita Gheorghiu

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost opportunity, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Child's Pose [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this quite hard to watch although I did stick with it to the end.
There is an awful lot of dialogue, so subtitles are almost constant, and the camera angles are meant to look 'amateur/realistic' so they appear shaky, making it tiring to watch. I did not find the characters particularly engaging and although the premise/theme is interesting, there was a lack of tension in the film. It will be interesting to see what Gheorghiu does next, as there is promise here, just not very well fulfilled this time around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20