Profile for diywannabe > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
STV757 - SOLAR-POWERED SONIC MOLE SPIKE
STV757 - SOLAR-POWERED SONIC MOLE SPIKE

3.0 out of 5 stars Only partially effective..., 11 Jan. 2015
This has been very difficult to review, as its effectiveness seems to have varied a great deal over time.

First impressions were positive - easy to put in place, and through long summer and shorter winter days the solar panel has kept it buzzing every few minutes.

It was purchased to persuade a mole in a small area of lawn to head back to the neighbouring field it seemed to have arrived from...having raised over a dozen mole hills it had made quite a mess. At first this seemed to do the job - buzzing away and no more mole hills. Then, a few weeks later, and despite still buzzing the mole (or moles) was back with a vengeance....

Cut forward a few weeks and the mole has moved to another small lawn, leaving the one with the mole spike alone...

So how can I sum this up? This is not a guaranteed solution to moles. It does though seem to have some success at times; my best guess this is largely down to the weather and how wet or dry the ground is and in turn how effective the pulses this sends out at deterring the moles. If you are looking at only a non lethal solution it may be worth a try, but the conventional traps are likely to be the more effective solution if moles are a real problem for your garden.

Roller Blind Chain Chrome 2mm Gap (3 Meters)
Roller Blind Chain Chrome 2mm Gap (3 Meters)
Offered by Beautiful Blinds Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality replacement chain, 11 Jan. 2015
This was purchased as a direct replacement for the disappointingly poor quality one supplied with a new John Lewis blind - when we bought it we found the original chain was only half this length so was no use on a tall sash window, and was held together with a poor quality plastic link which repeatedly pulled apart.

No such problems with this - good length, but easily cut to size if you need to, identical size and spacing of chain as the original and with a proper metal joining piece.

Recommended.

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.5W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.5W A60) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light output from an LED bulb identical in size to a conventional bulb, 4 Jan. 2015
LED bulbs are certainly fantastic for their reduction in running costs compared to older bulbs, but they also remain a mixed bag (even within brands) in terms of their build quality and the quality and amount of light they give. I am pleased to say this is a good 'un.

We needed to replace a blown bulb in a sealed bathroom light fitting and that is a perfect example of where some of the new bulbs cause problems - their physical size; to get equivalent light output to older incandescent bulbs many manufacturers of newer low energy designs increase the size of the bulb - not so here; this is exactly the same as a conventional old style bulb; I have added a photo to show the two side by side. At 60 Watt equivalent, this was the brightest LED one we could find without getting a much bigger casing. As a direct comparison, the blown bulb had previously been 100W, but we find this one gives plenty of light to the room and the warm white description is accurate.

There is no getting away that these are expensive (though at £8 including delivery at the time of purchase Amazon has a good price on these) but with incredibly long life and low running costs these should work out cheaper over their lifetime. Recommended.

Bosch PLL 360 Cross Line Laser Featuring 360 Degrees Horizontal Function Measuring Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars A really useful addition to the tool kit, 4 Jan. 2015
This is my first laser level, though I had been thinking of trying one for some time. A lightning deal offer convinced me to give this one a go and I am glad I did.

Using it is just so simple - pop the AA batterys in, sit in on something reasonable flat and it self levels instantly giving a simple choice of horizontal and vertical lines projected where you want, including on to all four walls at the same time.

Other reviewers are spot on (or laser line on...?!) that this really needs indoor use to see the line very clearly but in its defence it showed up well enough in a south facing room with a large window for me...

The great benefit of this model over cheaper ones in the Bosch range is that is sends out a 360 degree beam. Across a room 4 metres (12 feet) square, we were able to put this in the middle of the room and mark out all four walls easily and at once in a matter of minutes to level a floor. Brilliant - this alone probably saved us over an hour marking out with a water level, and saved the checking and re-checking that would have been necessary with a single direction laser level. If though you do not need this function then something like the Bosch PCL10, which includes a tripod, for about £82 might be better value.

Due to user error (me!) in not unpacking this properly, it was only when I went to recycle the packaging that I realised that I had missed that it comes with batterys (I put my own in), a small stand and a case, though the case is only big enough for the level itself, not the stand which seems a bit odd. This model does not come with a tripod though; Bosch ones start at £32 (and go up to nearly £200!) but for an occasional user like me any budget camera tripod is fine - the base of the laser has a standard tripod/camera fitting. In order to place the horizontal line where you want it, for example in tiling, this will be an essential extra purchase.

At the lightning deal price this really deserves 5 stars, but at the typical Amazon price it gets a solid 4 stars. Do please note that this is really an indoor use item only though except in low light conditions outside.

A really useful addition to the tool kit and a big timesaver for flooring, tiling, and studwork. Recommended.

iPro Screen Protector with Cleaning Cloth for New Apple iPhone 4/iPhone 4S (Pack of 10)
Offered by Magic&Gorgeous

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and quite cheerful, 6 Jun. 2014
These are undeniably cheap (at 99 pence delivered for a pack of 10 at the time of ordering, though the price seems to fluctuate a little on these) and it might seem unreasonable to expect too much at about 6 pence each once you deduct postage...but, they do need to do the job...

My experience of these is try as I might to clean the screen so it is absolutely immaculate and then to fix these carefully it is impossible to fix these in place without some bubbles. After a couple of trys I did manage it so just a few bubbles remained at the very edge which was good enough to use. The cleaning cloths supplied are actually fine.

The screen is nice and clear, and far less reflective than many. The problem with these though - and the reason I have marked them down to 3 stars - is that they reduce the sensitivity of the screen. Just touching buttons is fine - so dialling the phone is not affected - but when you try to scroll the response is dulled.

It does seem like great value, but personally I would prefer one better quality screen protector than ten like this, due to the screen response.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful kitchen tool rather than just another gadget..., 20 May 2014
There are already some excellent reviews on this item, but I hope these comments are still of use following the purchase of this kit based on a personal recommendation.

Kits contents: The standard kit (as at May 2014) includes two vacuum stoppers and a pump handle. The stoppers slip easily into standard bottles, but still create a good seal. They are absolutely fine in the dishwasher.

Ease of use: Well designed items work easily and that applies here. The pump is placed on top on the stopper and pulled up and down a number of times to create a vacuum - the less wine there is in the bottle the more you have to pump. The pump makes a discreet clicking noise when sufficient vacuum has been created. To release the vaccum just takes the pressure from one finger on the stopper to release the seal and you are ready to enjoy another glass or two.

Length of time it will save wine for: There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement in the reviews on this. I suspect this is down to different wines reacting differently as well as to personal tastes. We have found that it keeps red wine well for up to a few days, but would not really go beyond that.

Overall: There are an awful lot of kitchen fad tools out there and I was sceptical this might be another one of those. I could not have been more wrong - it works well, is simple to use, it is well made, and helps avoid waste: a true kitchen 'must have'!

Thoroughly recommended.

USB2 A-B cable 1.8m (also USB1.1 compatible)
USB2 A-B cable 1.8m (also USB1.1 compatible)
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, simple and effective, 20 May 2014
This was purchased from Amazon Marketplace at the same time as ordering a new printer direct from Amazon as we expected a cable not to be included.

This is not a named brand, quality assured high specification cable, just a simple USB printer cable which works - if that meets your need, as it did for us, then it is fine.

Buying cheap items like these when they are listed by numerous sellers - and in practise are from different factorys/countries always feels like a little bit of a gamble as to what you receive so we try to pay attention to the feedback left for sellers.

It would be fair to note that cables like this are also available in 'pound stores' on the high street, but in our case the option for delivery is more helpful.

Aerolite® Lightweight Black Cabin Size Fold Away 21" Luggage Holdall (55cm x 35cm x 20cm, 44L, 0.35Kg)
Offered by Luggage Travel Bags Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars 21” size is excellent, 15 May 2014
We initially bought one of the 21” size bags to tuck away as a spare aircraft cabin sized luggage bag as we always seem to come back with more things than we go away with when travelling…

For the price I was pleasantly surprised at how well it is made. Yes, it is lightweight fabric (which helps keep the packed weight down) and I would not pack it with heavy items all the time, but it is well put together, the zips are smooth, the handles and shoulder straps do what they should and design that allows it to zip down inside itself works well. We were so impressed we bought a second 21” one and also the larger size (available on another listing) as a spare hold size bag. We did note that that on the two 21” bags as we bought these a year apart the material had changed – though both seem fine - but the bags now have the sizes printed boldly on the outside; this looks a little odd so we prefer the original one.

Perhaps the only downside with these bags is that they have no firm base, so unless they are fully packed they will not keep their shape. If you are using them for clothes or soft items this will not matter, even in the larger 28” size.

When we shopped for these we were a bit confused by listings for identical products as the bags come up with either free/Prime delivery fulfilled by Amazon or a lower price plus £4.95 for delivery direct from Luggage Travel Bags. Price wise it works out the same, but where possible we default to the ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ option for the best service.

Having now purchased three of these, and used one for over 18 months I thoroughly recommend them.

Aerolite Lightweight Extra Large Black Fold Away Holdall / Cabin Approved Flight Bag Backpack Bag
Price: £8.99 - £21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 28” size is very useful, the 21” size is excellent, 15 May 2014

For the price I was pleasantly surprised at how well it is made. Yes, it is lightweight fabric (which helps keep the packed weight down) and I would not pack it with heavy items all the time, but it is well put together, the zips are smooth, the handles and shoulder straps do what they should and design that allows it to zip down inside itself works well. We were so impressed we bought a second 21” one and also the larger size as a spare hold size bag. We did note that that on the two 21” bags as we bought these a year apart the material had changed – though both seem fine - but the bags now have the sizes printed boldly on the outside; this looks a little odd so we prefer the original one.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, bright and effective, 9 May 2014
I was really pleased to find these lights; whilst doing a home renovation a couple of rooms in the house are without fixed lighting and so we have used these as easy fix, wire free, temporary solutions for a storeroom and the downstairs loo. For the storeroom they are bright enough to light the key part of the room well, but it would probably take another three to light the whole room fully. For the downstairs loo though they are perfect - as bright as the old ceiling light but without being dazzling, and with the added benefit of automatic on/off so no unhygienic pull cords etc. Once the building work is done these will make ideal shed lights.

No batteries are included and we decided to power these with rechargeables opting for Energizer 2 x C Rechargeable Batteries NiMH (a total of three packs of two batteries as each light uses three). The lights actually drain little power in our use and after six months there is no sign that they need recharging

We were fortunate to find these as an Amazon lightning deal and it can be worth looking out for them again - a number of Mr Beams branded items seem to appear quite regularly. Even at just over £30 (£15 each) these seem fair value, however if you do as we did and add rechargeable batteries the price does climb to about £25 per light.

Thoroughly recommended.