Profile for diywannabe > Reviews

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Victor M240 Electronic Rat Trap
Victor M240 Electronic Rat Trap

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed effectiveness, and the build quality could (should) be better..., 25 Feb. 2015
Living in the countryside we are used to having to control mice and rats outside the house in sheds, but during recent building work the house itself was less 'rodent-proof' than it should have been; with clear evidence of rat and mouse activity we turned to one of these seeking a quick (humane) and clean solution.

Unfortunately, having sited this on a suitable run and baited with seed, after several days the only thing that was dead was the unit - despite a fresh set of batteries (it had new ones to begin with) it was clear it had fallen off its perch and was not working. Amazon's typically good service replaced this quickly.

The second one was again baited and sited and...nothing. The unit was working OK this time, but the rats in the house were avoiding it. We had to go back to poison bait which they took from the same location immediately. With no luck with this unit indoors we decided to try it in a shed where it was much more successful and picked up a couple of mice in the first couple of days. It seems that the mice are much less wary of it than the rats.

I have marked this down to 3 stars for three reasons - first that it is not the quick and clean solution for rats we had hoped, second that the first one failed so quickly and had to be replaced and thirdly for the build quality - as others have mentioned the battery compartment is rather a poor design and makes inserting batteries slightly awkward, but the switch and wiring do not fill you with confidence in setting something designed to give a major shock; certainly not something to use anywhere that animals or small children could find it...

It is still recommended, but please do not expect a complete rodent solution.

Gorilla Glue 1Litre
Gorilla Glue 1Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars The benchmark in glues, but consider the size you need..., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Gorilla Glue 1Litre (DIY & Tools)
This is a fantastic product that has replaced PVA glue in the majority of timber and building uses for me. I have routinely used it on timber to timber, timber to concrete, stone repairs and timber to board.

The best description I have heard of this is as a 'foaming' glue. In contact with moisture (even just from the air) it reacts and expands, filling small voids between the surfaces to be glued - this is why it is so strong - the whole of the two surfaces are effectively joined whereas other glues may only be in part contact.

I even tried this out by pouring it into the loose joints of an old door with no other reinforcing - once dry it was solid as a rock and I was just able to rub back, fill and paint the door with minimal work. A real timesaver.

Pros:
+ Incredibly strong - a direct replacement for mechanical (drill and screw/plug) fixings in many cases
+ Quick drying
+ Economical - a little goes a long way

Cons:
- Do not get it on you, it stains and sticks rather badly (trust me...been there!)
- It can expand more than you expect and run; if it does just let it dry and cut off any excess dried glue DO NOT try to wipe wet glue away, it will go everywhere (again, trust me on that one...)

It is worth considering what size to buy. By far the most economical size if you need it is this 1 litre at just under £20 but that is more than most people will use in a long time. I have bought the 500ml (half this size, but about £15) and 115ml, and carefully used both as you are supposed to be used by squeezing the air out of the container when finished in use. After 18 months I have one 500ml bottle that is half full but still completely useable, but I have also just had to throw away a 115ml bottle, with about a third left, as it had gone solid. I suspect that the amount of air in only a small bottle of glue was too much for it. For me that makes the 500ml the best compromise, with no wastage, but if you are going to use a lot then go for this 1 litre size.

Gorilla Glue 115ml
Gorilla Glue 115ml

4.0 out of 5 stars The benchmark in glues, but consider the size you need..., 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Gorilla Glue 115ml (DIY & Tools)

Cons:

It is worth considering what size to buy. By far the most economical size if you need it is the 1 litre but that is more than most people will use in a long time. I have bought the 500ml and 115ml, and carefully used both as you are supposed to be used by squeezing the air out of the container when finished in use. After 18 months I have one 500ml bottle that is half full but still completely useable, but I have also just had to throw away a 115ml bottle, with about a third left, as it had gone solid. I suspect that the amount of air in only a small bottle of glue was too much for it. For me that makes the 500ml the better deal, with no wastage.

Recommended, but though the glue deserves a full 5 stars, it gets 4 stars in this size because larger sizes are better value and seem to last longer.

Gorilla Glue 500ml
Gorilla Glue 500ml

This review is from: Gorilla Glue 500ml (DIY & Tools)

Cons:

It is worth considering what size to buy. By far the most economical size if you need it is the 1 litre but that is more than most people will use in a long time. I have bought the 500ml and 115ml, and carefully used both as you are supposed to be used by squeezing the air out of the container when finished in use. After 18 months I have one 500ml bottle that is half full but still completely useable, but I have also just had to throw away a 115ml bottle, with about a third left, as it had gone solid. I suspect that the amount of air in only a small bottle of glue was too much for it. For me that makes the 500ml the best deal, with no wastage.

Sony LCS-CSJ Soft Carry Case For Cybershot
Sony LCS-CSJ Soft Carry Case For Cybershot
Offered by Lovely Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, good value and the ideal size for the Sony HX50 or similar cameras, 4 Feb. 2015
It took a little while to choose the right case for my HX50 camera, but this turned out to be just the thing - well made, flexible, the perfect size without being too bulky, offering good protection and enough space to carry what I need.

I have added two photos which I hope will help. The first shows the case alongside the HX50 camera so you can get a sense of respective sizes.

As other good reviews have mentioned, the case includes two zipped pockets on the front, the larger of which has a handy net divider in it. For my use this lets me carry a spare battery in the smallest front pocket, a USB charging cable in the net section of the larger pocket and a flexible mini tripod/stand in the main part of the larger compartment - these are shown in the photo - which gives me everything I need in one place even when away for longer trips.

The second photo added shows the popper fixed belt loop on the bag of the case. Although the case is supplied with a neck strap I have removed this as I prefer to carry the camera on my belt using this strap during a day of walking, sightseeing etc, and it does this perfectly.

Comment Comment | Permalink

STV757 - SOLAR-POWERED SONIC MOLE SPIKE
STV757 - SOLAR-POWERED SONIC MOLE SPIKE

3.0 out of 5 stars Only partially effective..., 11 Jan. 2015
This has been very difficult to review, as its effectiveness seems to have varied a great deal over time.

First impressions were positive - easy to put in place, and through long summer and shorter winter days the solar panel has kept it buzzing every few minutes.

It was purchased to persuade a mole in a small area of lawn to head back to the neighbouring field it seemed to have arrived from...having raised over a dozen mole hills it had made quite a mess. At first this seemed to do the job - buzzing away and no more mole hills. Then, a few weeks later, and despite still buzzing the mole (or moles) was back with a vengeance....

Cut forward a few weeks and the mole has moved to another small lawn, leaving the one with the mole spike alone...

So how can I sum this up? This is not a guaranteed solution to moles. It does though seem to have some success at times; my best guess this is largely down to the weather and how wet or dry the ground is and in turn how effective the pulses this sends out at deterring the moles. If you are looking at only a non lethal solution it may be worth a try, but the conventional traps are likely to be the more effective solution if moles are a real problem for your garden.

Roller Blind Chain Chrome 2mm Gap (3 Meters)
Roller Blind Chain Chrome 2mm Gap (3 Meters)
Offered by EURO HOME INTERIORS

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality replacement chain, 11 Jan. 2015
This was purchased as a direct replacement for the disappointingly poor quality one supplied with a new John Lewis blind - when we bought it we found the original chain was only half this length so was no use on a tall sash window, and was held together with a poor quality plastic link which repeatedly pulled apart.

No such problems with this - good length, but easily cut to size if you need to, identical size and spacing of chain as the original and with a proper metal joining piece.

Recommended.

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.0W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.0W A60) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light output from an LED bulb identical in size to a conventional bulb, 4 Jan. 2015
LED bulbs are certainly fantastic for their reduction in running costs compared to older bulbs, but they also remain a mixed bag (even within brands) in terms of their build quality and the quality and amount of light they give. I am pleased to say this is a good 'un.

We needed to replace a blown bulb in a sealed bathroom light fitting and that is a perfect example of where some of the new bulbs cause problems - their physical size; to get equivalent light output to older incandescent bulbs many manufacturers of newer low energy designs increase the size of the bulb - not so here; this is exactly the same as a conventional old style bulb; I have added a photo to show the two side by side. At 60 Watt equivalent, this was the brightest LED one we could find without getting a much bigger casing. As a direct comparison, the blown bulb had previously been 100W, but we find this one gives plenty of light to the room and the warm white description is accurate.

There is no getting away that these are expensive (though at £8 including delivery at the time of purchase Amazon has a good price on these) but with incredibly long life and low running costs these should work out cheaper over their lifetime. Recommended.

Bosch PLL 360 Cross Line Laser Featuring 360 Degrees Horizontal Function Measuring Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars A really useful addition to the tool kit, 4 Jan. 2015
This is my first laser level, though I had been thinking of trying one for some time. A lightning deal offer convinced me to give this one a go and I am glad I did.

Using it is just so simple - pop the AA batterys in, sit in on something reasonable flat and it self levels instantly giving a simple choice of horizontal and vertical lines projected where you want, including on to all four walls at the same time.

Other reviewers are spot on (or laser line on...?!) that this really needs indoor use to see the line very clearly but in its defence it showed up well enough in a south facing room with a large window for me...

The great benefit of this model over cheaper ones in the Bosch range is that is sends out a 360 degree beam. Across a room 4 metres (12 feet) square, we were able to put this in the middle of the room and mark out all four walls easily and at once in a matter of minutes to level a floor. Brilliant - this alone probably saved us over an hour marking out with a water level, and saved the checking and re-checking that would have been necessary with a single direction laser level. If though you do not need this function then something like the Bosch PCL10, which includes a tripod, for about £82 might be better value.

Due to user error (me!) in not unpacking this properly, it was only when I went to recycle the packaging that I realised that I had missed that it comes with batterys (I put my own in), a small stand and a case, though the case is only big enough for the level itself, not the stand which seems a bit odd. This model does not come with a tripod though; Bosch ones start at £32 (and go up to nearly £200!) but for an occasional user like me any budget camera tripod is fine - the base of the laser has a standard tripod/camera fitting. In order to place the horizontal line where you want it, for example in tiling, this will be an essential extra purchase.

At the lightning deal price this really deserves 5 stars, but at the typical Amazon price it gets a solid 4 stars. Do please note that this is really an indoor use item only though except in low light conditions outside.

A really useful addition to the tool kit and a big timesaver for flooring, tiling, and studwork. Recommended.

iPro Screen Protector with Cleaning Cloth for New Apple iPhone 4/iPhone 4S (Pack of 10)
Offered by MK Malls

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and quite cheerful, 6 Jun. 2014
These are undeniably cheap (at 99 pence delivered for a pack of 10 at the time of ordering, though the price seems to fluctuate a little on these) and it might seem unreasonable to expect too much at about 6 pence each once you deduct postage...but, they do need to do the job...

My experience of these is try as I might to clean the screen so it is absolutely immaculate and then to fix these carefully it is impossible to fix these in place without some bubbles. After a couple of trys I did manage it so just a few bubbles remained at the very edge which was good enough to use. The cleaning cloths supplied are actually fine.

The screen is nice and clear, and far less reflective than many. The problem with these though - and the reason I have marked them down to 3 stars - is that they reduce the sensitivity of the screen. Just touching buttons is fine - so dialling the phone is not affected - but when you try to scroll the response is dulled.

It does seem like great value, but personally I would prefer one better quality screen protector than ten like this, due to the screen response.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8