Profile for Tanya > Reviews

Tanya (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Two Old Fools in Spain Again
Two Old Fools in Spain Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Funny and Sad. Another great read by Victoria Tweed, 26 July 2014
Once again the next book in the "Two old fools" series, does not fail to disappoint. There are travel memoirs that read like a diary, and then there are this authors books. I did wonder, before reading this book, if the author could sustain the readers interest in the local life of the village, and I have to say, she did not disappoint. Once again I am left wanting to know how their and her life unfolds in the coming year. I also found this particular book engaging, because I felt that the author gave more of herself into this book, as we learnt a great deal about her past family history and were allowed to join the pleasure and pain of her life today.. I do hope she writes another book, because I am just not ready to say goodbye to all the people we meet.

Patch, His Pack, and Dear Old Reg
Patch, His Pack, and Dear Old Reg

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing really interesting to say, 24 July 2014
As someone who has recently moved to Spain,I was looking forward to seeing how the author coped with the transition compared with my husband and I. However I found my self skipping pages, mainly because, there was nothing to tell, it was almost like reading a diary, today we went there, today we go here.... and it also was obvious that the Author, felt he was more superior than those around him, both in Spain and the UK with the constant references to Portsmouth, a town he obviously does not like which I found really annoying, I wanted to enjoy this book, and usually travel memoirs are interesting, but only if the person writing has interesting things to say in this case I am sad to say, not much interesting here. Man and wife moved to Spain and had a problem getting paperwork sorted. You can read that on most Spanish Forums. A admire anyone who can put themselves out there and write a book

Beyond Evidence (Patrick McLaughlin Book 1)
Beyond Evidence (Patrick McLaughlin Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was just OK, 22 July 2014
The basic story was told well however i found the 2 main characters really annoying and although based in Scotland, I found the language used more for the US audience which was annoying. The last third of the book, was a bit predictable, and the end left me glad it was over. Its an ok read, but I will not be reading anymore

The Lullaby Illusion: A Journey of Awakening (Journeys Book 1)
The Lullaby Illusion: A Journey of Awakening (Journeys Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Memoir that will leave you amazed., 22 July 2014
A few pages into the book, I was unsure if I was going to like it. I found the first few chapters a bit - as another reviewer said "Rambling", this is not a negative, but the conversational style at the beginning is not one that I am used to when reading memoirs, nevertheless I am so glad I stayed with it, because this book allows us to glimpse, not only into the authors amazing life, but also her inner thoughts and dreams, opening herself to us in a way that many would be afraid to. Each page brings another revelation, leaving the reader amazed at how intriguing her life has been so far. Mixed with emotional trauma, war and interspersed with details of other adventures, and leaving you wanting more. It is a Memoir that will leave you amazed.

Mosquito Nets 4 U® Mosquito Net Bed Canopy 12 Meter Full Coverage Protection for Holiday & Home.  Non Skin Irritation.  156 holes per square inch. Fits up to Kingsize bed. Free Mosquito Nets 4 U Drawstring Bag.
Mosquito Nets 4 U® Mosquito Net Bed Canopy 12 Meter Full Coverage Protection for Holiday & Home. Non Skin Irritation. 156 holes per square inch. Fits up to Kingsize bed. Free Mosquito Nets 4 U Drawstring Bag.
Offered by Home and Mores Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Excellent purchase. arrived and packaged really well. Just as described

Naked: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina
Naked: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina

5.0 out of 5 stars triumph of the human spirit over the most terrible adversity, 13 July 2014
I've read a fair amount of memoirs recently, but this is the first one I finished in one sitting. I think not only because of the intelligent way the book is written, but also the insight into a terrible time in US history as Hurricane Katrina devastated so many lives.
The author’s story is captivating, heart-breaking and yet a truly inspirational book, not only for the victim but also for those who truly cared about her.
I'm not usually the kind of person that sits down and reads a book in one sitting, but I seriously couldn't put this one down. The book is written with care and compassion for everyone involved, I started reading and became engrossed. I can't remember the last time I read a book that made me sad, then angry, then happy in such rapid succession and so many times. I would also like to add that I think the title of this book, is so symbolic and reflects the situation that the author finds herself in.
I would definitely recommend this one!

A First Reader: Spanish and English / Un Primer Libro: Espanol y Ingles (First Bilingual Readers Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars really great way to learn, 8 Feb. 2014
A great way to start reading in Spanish and I have found this really useful start in learning the language

A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes Book 1)
A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Reason to Kill - A page turner but not always on a good way, 8 Feb. 2014
I write this review with some confusion. I found the story line compelling, well written if not a little "flowery" at times. I love a book where I am drawn into the story and this was the case with this book. However I did not enjoy the interaction between the DCI and the psychologist, as soon as I read a paragraph that contained words such as "warm Glow, destined to be with each other" I am put off, not because of the love interest but because these are cliches more at home in a bodice busting MIlls and Boons book, rather than a gutsy crime novel, and I personally felt it did not sit well within the story. It was at these moments I found myself turning the pages quickly, just to be able to move to the better parts which was the actual story of murder, gangs and a psycho, these parts of the books were page turners and I really wanted to know what happened next. Well written, and each part of the story interlocking in a sensible and coherent way.
Overall I enjoyed this book, its not an award wining novel, but I can see this transferring to the screen in the future
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 12:12 PM GMT

The diary of a single parent abroad
The diary of a single parent abroad

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 24 Nov. 2013
I am not particularly good at writing reviews, and tend to use the usual superlatives, and my worry here is that I will not do this author justice. Reviewing fictional books is much easier than commenting on a "memoir"

I am not going to rave about the writing and grammar etc. What I can say is that the author managed to pull me into her life and struggles and victories. I did not find her attitude in this book towards her ex husband antagonistic, I am adult enough to understand that this is how she see's the situation, it is how she dealt with the situation, I actually think her reflections on her husbands attitudes were very restraint.

Very often memoirs can come across very childlike in their format - he said I said, then we went, the next day etc etc. Not in this case, no long drawn out tedious stories with no relation to the main theme. I am warbling a bit now, but I just loved this book. I read snippets to my other half, who was also drawn into Jill's world. I suppose the best thing I can say is this, I did not want the story to end, I want to know what happened next, is there still a house, how are the children, any more animals, but in the age old saying. Jill has very cleverly left us wanting more. SO please Jill, let us have more.

Seriously Mum, Where's that Donkey?
Seriously Mum, Where's that Donkey?

5.0 out of 5 stars Life at the Olive Mill continues.., 17 Nov. 2013
but not as normal, new challenges face Alan and Lorna, but as usual they face up to them with true resilience determination. There is the usual tales of the animals they already have and the new ones they have met, (for whom they have an obvious connection and passion). The simple life in Spain can sound romantic, but as the Alan expresses through the book, reality is a bit different from the dream. This is a lovely read about a couple who have changed their lives and although the adventure has not developed as they first thought when they initially embarked on Alpaca farming, one thing is for sure, it certainly has not ended.

I read Alan's first book Seriously Mum, Whats and Alpaca and looked forward to reading the next chapter in their lives, I was not disappointed. Well worth a look at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4