Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that you can read in one gulp - and then need to read again. There is so much in this book to discover and mull over. There are many issues raised and questioned. Fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Plain Truth
Plain Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Amish Truth, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Plain Truth (Kindle Edition)
I am a Jodi Picoult fan, and I'm interested in the Amish culture, so two reasons to read this book. I visited an Amish community when in the States on holiday, and was immediately fascinated by the tensions that are created trying to live in an historical bubble. There are many hypocrisies in Amish society and Jodi highlights some of them.
I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters, but was slightly disappointed in the ending. I did work out who the 'villian' was, and that is so unusual for me, that I kept thinking I must be wrong. Jodi usually pulls a surprise out of the bag, so that's why I was left feeling slightly let down at the end.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Such fun!, 13 July 2013
Great book! Such fun and such entertainment! A most enjoyable book for young and old. Highly recommended for a light entertaining read.

Midnight's Children
Midnight's Children

2.0 out of 5 stars Verbal diarrhoea, 13 July 2013
I really wanted to enjoy this book. I have been enjoying books about India and Pakistan, the culture, the history and the language! But as hard as I tried I just couldn't get into this book. I had to skip sections to be able to continue, but finally gave up altogether! Rushdie lost his way - what was the purpose of this story? I felt like I was wading through pages that said nothing. Maybe you will say that it would have all made sense if I persevered, but I needed someone to re-assure me that it would be worth the effort. And a book shouldn't be an effort!

Around the World in 80 Days
Around the World in 80 Days

4.0 out of 5 stars 80 days!!, 13 July 2013
I read this book whilst travelling half way around the world. I thought it appropriate and I did enjoy the book. Of course it is written in a previous age, and that has to be taken into account.

Secret Daughter: A Novel
Secret Daughter: A Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, 13 July 2013
This book was a book club choice, and most of us were disappointed in the book. However, I think we uncovered more as we discussed it. I started off thinking that the book covered an complicated and difficult area very superficially, and I still think that way. I was left feeling slightly let down. There were so many openings to generate discussion and opinions on so many topical issues, and the author didn't really take them. Gowda always opted for the soft option. Some of our book club group were very irritated by opinions expressed in the book, so to some extent discussion was generated but outside the book, which means that readers without a book club may not benefit to the same degree.

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Someone Who's Been There
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Someone Who's Been There

4.0 out of 5 stars Dear Sugar, 13 July 2013
Nice book. I enjoyed reading it. It felt inspirational at the time, but as I mulled it over, I realised that it was mainly spun sugar. Yes, it cheers you up and it has a great feel good factor - but not really lasting.

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy Book 1)
Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars African story, 13 July 2013
A most enjoyable book, which draws you into the everyday life of an African village. It explores the dilemmas and choices that need to be made when one culture meets, and takes over, another. But in a gentle way. I am tired of books on colonial history that are very one-sided - colonists are evil. History needs to be viewed through a prism, which reflects many different points of view. I recommend it to anyone who would wants to appreciate a different viewpoint.

Catherine the Great: The story of the impoverished German princess who deposed her husband to become tzarina of the largest empire on earth

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great and her lovers, 13 July 2013
This book was informative. I felt really intelligent reading this heavy big historical book! However, it was such an easy read. I was daunted when I saw how long it was. I mean how interesting was Catherine the Great? Very, is the answer, and it was so well written that I didn't get bored or lose interest. My only complaint was that the Massie was definitely in love with Catherine, another of her lovers, and so didn't really discuss any of Catherine's negative aspects.
But he did inspire me to do some research to find these out for myself. Come on - everyone has some bad points and Massie made her out to be too good to be true! However, my research revealed that Catherine in fact did a lot more than Massie had included. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well written, interesting and informative.

Crossing to Safety (Penguin Modern Classics)
Crossing to Safety (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Wallace Stegner

5.0 out of 5 stars Levels, and levels and levels, 13 July 2013
This was our book club choice and not one I would have chosen for myself for all sorts of reasons, but then that's why I belong to a book club. It was an easy read, not at all challenging. Until you start to think it over.
It is an in-depth study of relationships and the many things that drive people's behaviour and relationships. In the end it was challenging, as it makes you re-think your own relationships, and the relationships of people you know. Our book club discussion drew out further aspects that I hadn't seen, but had been discovered by others. Great book that creeps up on you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3