Profile for The Invincible Potato > Reviews

Content by The Invincible...

The Invincible Potato "Jay" (UK, Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TP-Link TL-PA551KIT AV500+ Gigabit Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit
Offered by Gizmofones

4.0 out of 5 stars No fuss networking, 24 Jun. 2013
This was very easy to set up - plugged one in and passed the router power through it and connected the router to the power line adapter, connected the other to a computer in a room about 8 meters away and pressed the little button on both power line adaptors. Within 30 seconds, they had found each other and I now have a fully working network.

I haven't given it 5 stars purely because I am getting nowhere near Gigabit speed (I'm getting a sustained 7MB/second). Gigabit is up to 125 MB/second on paper but realistically using a conventional router I would probably expect speeds of around 40-60 MB/ second. I'm using 2 brand new premium CAT6 cables and both computers report that they are connected at 1Gb/s.
That said, it could well be down to the wiring in my house which is decidedly old - but still couldn't justify the extra star.

Anyway - the good:
Very very easy to set up - pretty much plug in and play.
Extensible (just buy more and make them discover each other)
I have been spared the misery of drilling CAT
It seems quite happy sitting over some radiator pipes under my plug socket (there is a bit of clearance - about 2cm between the body of the adaptor and the wall)
It looks sexy!

The bad:
Be very sure that this will plug in ok. It's got quite a large footprint going downwards and the network cable port is sitting at the bottom end.

Asus VS228H 21.5-inch LED Widescreen Monitor (50000000:1, 5ms)
Asus VS228H 21.5-inch LED Widescreen Monitor (50000000:1, 5ms)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitors - shame about the stand, 12 Feb. 2012
I bought two of these for my nw PC - and they arrived with no 'dead pixels' and are very easy to set up.
You should be aware (and I had to search long and hard before buying to get a definitive answer about this question) that these monitors do not have speakers!
They do process sound over hdmi though and you can connect speakers to the earphone out sockets on the back.
This isn't a bad thing as speakers on monitors of this price tend to be very tinny and rubbish - so very happy to supplement with my own speakers.

Two small gripes with these mnitors though:
1. The stands are (as good as) fixed. I plan to get a twin monitor mount and get rid of the stock stands as they are not very adjustable.
2. One of the two monitors didn't come with a UK 3-pin kettle power cable - just the two-pin euruopean one. I didn't bother going back to the seller over this as I had a bunch of them from an old machine.

Otherwise - they appear very responsive (good for gaming or movies, though at 60hz refresh - some films may suffer a little during 'panning' shots.
The range of these monitors is fantastic - LED tchnology is much superior to LCD technology... also the viewing angle is about 175 degrees without any distortin or abboration.
The choice of inputs is great too... VGA, DVI or HDMI with sound processing over HDMI for a full HD HDCP compliant system.
The frame is plastic - but it doesn;t feel like it has been badly built or that corners have been cut.
The buttons are in a nice position (to the right below the frame) which makes it almost impossible to knock them accidently - though when first setting up it is easy to push the wrong buttons until you get the hang of exactly how the on screen menu display works.
At it's thickest - it is about 400mm thick (though I haven't measured it to be exact)
Almost no startup time from off to working - though there is a splash screen.

For the price - I dont' think you can do better than these monitors - it's just a shame the stand is so rubbish!

Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack
Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my cat hang her head in shame!, 12 Feb. 2012
Our cat does what a lot of cats do - brought in a mouse, played with it for a bit and then got bored and let it escape.
After a week of encouraging the cat to finish off the job - I tried the 'big cheese' trap which was supposed to catch the mouse safely and then let it go.
After three lots aof cheese were pinched and no mouse caught - I decided to get this beauty because we have a newborn baby in the house and didn't want the mouse getting to any of the baby things.

I loaded up the trap with some peanut butter and within 2 hours... SNAP! The mouse was killed quickly (not brutally at all) and the design of the trap meant that I didn't have to touch the mouse at all.

I would really reccomend one of these, but I would suggest putting a bit of kitchen roll under the trap to soak up any blood.

5 stars - faultless - and there are two of them!

Masterplug SRG62-MP 6 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused
Masterplug SRG62-MP 6 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused

5.0 out of 5 stars Socket and see, 12 Feb. 2012
Its hard to review this item as my house doesn't sufer from powr spikes, but after investing in a new computer - the peace of mind (with the £1000 appliance warrenty that this boasts) makes this a good investment for the price.

Does what it says on the tin really - lets me plug in 6 devices and says it is protecting them!

Can't fault it for the money I paid when it comes with an insurance policy really!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 5:22 PM BST

HTC WILDFIRE PREMIUM PU LEATHER FLIP CASE - BLACK, WITH 6-IN-1 SCREEN PROTECTOR PACK PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE
Offered by MobySpares

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little case, 12 Feb. 2012
I'll keep this short and sweet (much like the case)

Fits the HTC wildfire (not S model) like a glove
Magnetic case closing thingy is off to one side so headphones can be used with the phone even when safely protected by the case.
Plastic phone enclosure has slots to allow charging and access to side buttons.
My wife has already dropped the phone once onto a wooden floor and it happily bounced - so i've alreadt got a good return on investment!

The case also comes with a number of screen protecters and cleaning cloths.

5 stars as I can fault this case at all!

Canon Remote Control RC-06
Canon Remote Control RC-06
Offered by Luxe Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars 450d Owner, 12 Nov. 2011
Works perfectly - straight out of the box with my Canon EOS 450d.
It is very small and comes with a small leather pouch which can be attached to the camera strap (or infact any strap of suitable size)

JJC FC-26b Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 430EX, 430EX II - White
JJC FC-26b Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 430EX, 430EX II - White

4.0 out of 5 stars What a shame these aren't standard on a flash, 12 Nov. 2011
This works quite well - the fit is both snug and secure and the resulting light from the flash is noticably less harsh.
I've been using this with a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II and have had no problems.
4 stars instead of 5 because it's is just a small bit of plastic - so not sure why this is being sold at anything over £1.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 11:39 AM GMT

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by GRAND DEALS ======= FOR LESS

5.0 out of 5 stars My first prime lens, 12 Nov. 2011
After a lot of deliberation, I have bought this lens in order to take portrait pictures of my wife, cat and baby (who should be arriving in the not too distant future!)
This is my first prime lens, and I decided to buy this lens rather than a cheaper 3rd party lens because the reviews I've read say that the quality of the optics in this lens is very good... and I have to report that I have been pleasantly surprised so far!

So - negatives...
It feels very plastic
It is a bit noisy when auto-focusing

Positives
It's a genuine Canon product
Quality of the optics is very good
It is relatively cheap (compared to the slightly faster next-model-up)
It is still very fast - f/1.8 still lets you take pictures without needing a flash indoors

In my opinion, the positives way out-weigh the negatives; the fact that it is plasticy doesn't mean it has a low build quality - and unless you are a pro photographer or are going to be using a camera in rougher conditions - I would recommend this lens to anyone.

Tiffen 52mm UV Protector Filter
Tiffen 52mm UV Protector Filter
Offered by Technomobiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 12 Nov. 2011
Does exactly what it is supposed to do - which is to protect my lens and provide a bit of UV protection. I have not noticed any negative effects on my pictures which is good and for the price I am happy for it to take the brunt of any fingers, knocks, scrapes rather than my lens.
It is now permanently attached to my lens!

ES-62 Lens Hood for CANON EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.8 II,Eos 70D 60D,50D,40D,7D,6D 5D,1Ds,700D 650D,600D,550D,500D,450D, 1000D,1100D,1200D.
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 12 Nov. 2011
I'm using this on a 50mm lens and a Canon EOS 450D.
Not much to say really - this isn't an original Canon - but it fits and does what it says on the tin.
Given 4 stars instead of 5 because it cant be screwed on backwards to save space in a bag when not in use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3