Profile for The Invincible Potato > Reviews

Content by The Invincible...

The Invincible Potato "Jay" (UK, Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Novels & Stories (4 Novels + 56 Short Stories): A Study in Scarlet + The Sign of the Four + The Hound of the Baskervilles ... Holmes + The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality ebook, full of good quality stories and a very good price!, 23 July 2014
I'm half way through this at the moment (Kindle version), and I am amazed at the sheer volume of content and the quality too! Most e-books I have come across are riddled with errors such as typo's or problems where the original text hasn't been scanned correctly. This book is practically flawless!
This e-book is different to others in that it actually does contain all of the Sherlock Holmes novels - it's very long but well worth a read.

NEW Black Hard Leather Flip Case Cover For HTC Desire Z
NEW Black Hard Leather Flip Case Cover For HTC Desire Z

1.0 out of 5 stars fell apart, 27 Feb. 2014
Fell apart after 5 days. No heavy usage, just poorly constructed.
I didn't bother returning as it was a very cheap item and wasn't worth the hassle.

Cloudseller Captain's BED WITH Under Bed (wax) with storage
Cloudseller Captain's BED WITH Under Bed (wax) with storage
Offered by BEDS U LIKE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bed... but don't buy this unless you can do DIY, 29 Jan. 2014
Firstly, bed arrived a week earlier than expected - so bonus!
It is a flatpack, but the wood is mostly real (i.e. not MDP or rubberwood imitation). It arrived in three boxed.
One box contained the complete 'under bed' and drawers (you will need 2 people to take this upstairs as the weight is close to 50kg and is awkard)
Another box contained the headboard and slats for the 'over bed' and the third contained the beams for the 'over bed'. These two boxes are carryable - one is approx. 25kg and the other is 6kg.

So - putting the bed together is not that difficult. If you can put together an Ikea flatpack, then this isn't going to tax you overmuch... the only problem is that some of the holes are not pre-machined. For example, the slats on both beds have to be screwed into the frame itself (there is a softer wood that this sits on), and the wheels for the 'under bed' need to be screwed into the base frame.

The trickiest part was putting together the drawers - this is easy with two people, but if you can't screw straight into a non-machined piece of wood - get someone else to do it or you will ruin the drawers!

The wheels on the 'under bed' are fixed (I.e - don't swivel) so it rolls out from it's hidey hole easily. There is a gap between the under and over beds of about 5 to 10 cm which is to allow for a mattress to sit on top of it. The point is that if you need to move the whole bed, you will probably need to slide the 'under bed' out and move the 'over bed' before rolling the 'under bed' back in again.

I put this together by myself in about 2 hours, and it is hard work. If you want to buy this bed, then I would recommend an electric screwdriver! Mine saved me a sore arm, but there are so many screws (well in excess of a hundred) that it discharged before the job was done.

One bad point is that one of the slats was machined to the correct length - it was about 5mm too long - so I had to take a slice off the end with a junior hacksaw.

Just a note - the bed is high; we bought it because our over-sized toddler is no longer fitting in her cot and we couldn't see the point of buying a toddler bed. We got a cheap bed rail to put along the side which seems to have made this fairly safe. The 'over bed' with a mattress is a bit higher than a bed side table - so be wary if you have a hyperactive child and a hard floor.

Having said all that - when it is put together it feels like a very solid piece of furniture... much higher quality than anything I might have bought from an Argos. I won't mark it down for the length of time it took to construct as it really is a nice piece of furniture, and has the benefits of the second mattress for sleepovers and storage too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 3:17 PM BST

Rii Mini RT-MWK01V3 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard (with Touchpad, Laser pointer, Backlit) for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, Raspberry PI, PS3 & HTPC/IPTV, US Layout (Black)
Offered by Uxpressbuying

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 2 Jan. 2014
I'm using this keyboard/touchpad for my HTPC and it works very well.
The range of the device isn't going to win any awards, but I am able to control my PC with no missed key presses and only a very few missed mouse (touchpad) commands from 3m away. I did find that it worked a lot better when the dongle was inserted into a front USB port rather than a rear one, but it comes with a handy cable to both power the dongle and chage the device at the same time which could be fed to the front of your PC.

The device is plastic but feels like it could survive a few drops. It is very light, and easy to interact with even when holding standing up (i.e. not on my lap of coffee table). There are a few useful function keys which are accessed by holding a function key down to do useful things like controlling the volume. One thing to note - this is a US style keyboard (@ and " are the wrong way round) but as it is highly unlikely that you will be writing a novel with it, I don't think this is a problem.

The wireless dongle is a standard 2.4ghz USB device and is plug and play ready - I did just that for my windows 7 set up. The USB dongle is hidden inside a compartment within the device itself, pull out a blanking plate and it is sitting inside. The blanking plate stays in the device quite happily once the USB dongle has been removed.

Only thing I couldn't work out is how to backlight the thing. The user manual is a bit rubbish, but the device isn't difficult to work out - and it does mention that the keyboard can be back-lit, and it should be the red button which controls that. If anyone knows how to do that, I would find it very useful!

Pros
1. Fantastic value for money.
2. Doesn't feel like it will fall apart any time soon
3. Comes with a handy cable which lets you charge the device and connect the wireless dongle at the same time.
4. Has a laser pointer for entertaining the cat.
5. Fully featured keyboard with handy shortcut keys
6. LED illuminated power display
7. Has it's own on/off switch.
8. Plug and play ready
9. Easy to hold - good size, comparable to a remote control for an older television.
10. Looks good!

Cons
1. Manual is rubbish
2. Range won't let me control the PC from the bottom of my garden. Oh well ;)

NH-L12
NH-L12

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: NH-L12 (Accessory)
This is a seriously nice piece of kit... everything about it is just premium and so well made.
You can swap the fans around to suit your configuration, but be aware that if you are using high profile memory that is right next to your CPU (thinking micro ATX - which is probably what you have in your HTPC if you are reading this) then you may not be able to use the smaller fan.

The fans themselves are as silent as I have ever (not) heard - perfect for my HTPC.
For info - I have this mounted on a micro ATX mobo in an Antec Fusion 430 case... works like a charm.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 7:32 PM BST

Philips AVENT Classic Microwave Baby Bottle Steriliser
Philips AVENT Classic Microwave Baby Bottle Steriliser
Offered by SHIK GIFTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 24 Jun. 2013
Oh how I HATE milton tablets!
This product holds up to 6 full size bottles (I managed to get 7 in once!) and... well makes them sterile.
I hope that has cleared that up.

Anyway - it takes 4 mins in my microwave (make sure you have a fairly large microwave - it only just fits into the smaller ones) and is very handy.

In short, I'm glad I bought this!

7dayshop Rechargeable High Performance Ni-Mh Batteries - AA Size 2900mAh - 16 Pack "4x4" with Protective Storage Case
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be deceiving, 24 Jun. 2013
Looks cheap, it infact is cheap(!) but actually holds a hell of a lot of power and don't leak.
Don't be fooled by the way these batteries look - they are well worth a punt if you need a high capacity rechargeable battery.

Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse
Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes getting used to, 24 Jun. 2013
I've been using this for about 3 months now and I think I'm about used to it.
This is a laptop mouse, I've been using it for a desktop mouse and I really wish I'd bought something bigger.

It does track very well and it is quite comfortable, but I wouldn't think of using it for gaming - just occasional use really.

The scroll button (flat middle button) is quite neat. It works, and gives feedback... I'm sure that a wheel mouse would have worked just as well but the benefits of having a flat button can't be understated. It doesn't require cleaning and won't stop working because it's gotton caught on something or clogged up.

It's ok.... I'm not raving about it because there are more comfortable mice out there - but no real complaints either.

Duronic 1.5m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - Black - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, 24 Jun. 2013
It comes in various sizes and I'm happy to report that mine was the correct length.
It actually feels high quality - a bit of a strange thing to say about a cable, but there you go.

Asus DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of features, and easy to set up, 24 Jun. 2013
Beware the trap I fell into - look at the back of the router before trying to work out why WI-FI isn't working!!
It ships with the WI-FI switch set to 'off' and it's such a teeny-tiny switch that it is easy to miss!

After plugging it in (this has reasonably up-to date firmware even though there was an upgrade available - 3.x) I went through the set-up wizard which is an absolute dream to use to set up internet access.
I then used the web page to set up the router and updated the firmware - just go to the relevant page and click a button, it will go off, connect to the Asus server and work out what it needs to download for itself.

So far, so good - I've been using it now for a few hours and it is quite happily serving six or seven devices.
I have yet to try out any of the advanced features such as media hosting or FTP hosting - but first impressions are very good.

Oh, and it looks nice too!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3