Profile for J. I. G. Burt > Reviews

Content by J. I. G. Burt

J. I. G. Burt (London, UK)

Who's Last
Who's Last

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs - but a sadly poor recording, 16 Feb 2007
This review is from: Who's Last (Audio CD)
I had to give it some stars because I love (understatement!) their music and this CD has many of the greats, but sadly the recording has been very poorly produced. It seems as though the original stage set-up on many of the tracks (for they are picked from multiple performances on the USA/Canada 1982 tour) were badly miked... especially Daltrey's vocals which on some tracks - especially "I can't explain" - you can hardly hear! In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that most people buying this will be Who fans (who listen to the tracks knowing all the words!), you wouldn't be able to tell what poor Roger was singing. By contrast, Pete's guitar is sometimes far too loud whilst, as one of the other reviewers commented, the usually fantastic bass is far too quiet... suggesting it was badly mixed/produced in the studio afterwards. On top of this - again I find myself merely concurring with other peoples' comments - the transcription onto CD isn't of a high quality either.

In summary, if you're a Who fan, do buy it for the collection and to enjoy some of the energy of the live performances (and some tracks are great), but you might well be disappointed with the recording quality.