Profile for Stevie W. > Reviews

Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars something different, 8 Jan 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's refreshing to see a game like this that is not centered around combat and is instead focused on allowing the player to move around.

The controls are fairly straight forward to pick up and become quite natural after a short while playing - it wasn't long before I was jumping/sliding/climbing/swinging/wall-running my way around the levels. This game is about getting through levels quickly and there is great satisfaction in maintaining a high speed run through a level as you navigate through a level without interuption.
The movement is quite instinctive and I'm now finding myself frustrated in other games that don't have the same amount of 'go anywhere' control that Mirrors Edge has!

As other reviewers have pointed out, the combat is not a strong point of the game, however in most situations it can be avoided. Mirrors Edge doesn't aim to be a shooter, so it's best not to play it that way.

Overall I've been very impressed with Mirrors Edge and would definitely recommend it to anyone look for something different to the standard FPS game.

Transformers (2007) [DVD]
Transformers (2007) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformers reborn... and I loved it, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: Transformers (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
I had my doubts about how Transformers would turn out, I really feared that it would be a huge disappointment - with Transformers playing such a big role in my childhood, the thought of the movie not living up the memories was not pleasant.

Thankfully the movie has exceeded my expectations. Even as a massive fan of the original Transformers line up, it was good to see that this isn't just a remake of what we had in the 80s. Everything has been brought up to date, with the cutting edge special effects, the Transformers fit right into the world and really look like working machines. Seeing them in motion is nothing short of amazing, I just can't imagine the original 'blocky' style Transformers having the natural motion that these ones do.

The action is nothing short of spectacular, even if the first half of the film doesn't contain too much of it. It just has to be seen to be believed.

In my view, the key to the film is the characters. Not just Sam (who is brilliantly played as the enterprising school kid just desperate to get the hot girl!) and Mikaela (the afore mentioned hot girl), but the Autobots (the good guys) - each has their own personality, with the key character traits being brought forward from the original cartoons/comics to keep them identifiable. After all, that was the real appeal of the Transformers, they are not just machines, they are personalities. They could have made more of the Decepticons (the bad guys) in this regard, with only Frenzy and Megatron getting the chance to show themselves to any great degree.

I think many fans need to realise that this movie was a movie for everyone, not just for existing Transformer fans. This was definitely the right thing to do, with the success it has had sequels are now coming and hopefully we'll see more characters coming through in both the Autobot and Decepticon ranks.