Profile for Stuart Brown > Reviews

Content by Stuart Brown

Stuart Brown (Essex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips Medium Black 3 Pairs
Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips Medium Black 3 Pairs
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Rip off price - Don't last - Disintegrate with Sweat - But the sound is better..., 8 Aug 2014
I received these on the 13th June 2014. There are three pairs in the pack.

Use wise I would say on average, maybe an hour a day (honestly it's probably less than that). But it would usually include about 25 minutes a day at the gym, five times a week, where I would get sweaty.

Three observations:

1/ The first pair expired on the 6th August 2014. So, less than two months in, and probably after less than 40 hours cumulative use.

2/ These things don't like sweat. For the last 2 weeks or so of that, they were noticeably worse at keeping their shape, and didn't stay in the ears as well. They also rip very easily, even when you are quite careful about removing them

So really only about 30 hours of use at peak performance per pair.

3/ The sound is much better with them however, so although they are a rip-off, I will probably end up getting another pack in four months or so, when the other two pairs have died.

They do offer a definite improvement in sound and isolation over conventional plastic tips.

Rug Control Spray RCS 1 Rug Anti-Slip Spray
Rug Control Spray RCS 1 Rug Anti-Slip Spray
Offered by Longbone's Soft Furnishings
Price: 11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 30 Jun 2014
Follow the instructions and it works great. Was sent in rather bulky packaging that was a little unnecessary. But the product itself works great. The rugs in my hall are no longer slipping, which is a minor miracle, and definitely gets rid of one of life's minor irritations. Worth the 9 I paid.

Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light
Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK
Price: 32.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lamp - good price, 8 May 2014
This is a very good lamp at a fair price. Lots of these type of "reading" lamps (which translated means they actually throw some light - crazy concept for a light!) are silly money, but this one is reasonable and does the job well.

This one was bought for my dad and he really likes it.

You'll need a Philips screwdriver to undo one of the screws to get this thing assembled, so you may need a trip to the pound shop to get one (which is what we did). But other then that it assembles easily enough.

Base is nice and stable and the angle of the light can be adjusted. So overall, if you need a good lamp that throws a good amount of light, then this is a good pick.

The Elements of Style
The Elements of Style
by William Strunk Jr.
Price: 5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Interesting Book..., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I bought this to brush up on some essential grammer after having it recommended by Stephen King in his book "On Writing".

Naturally, it is a work of non-fiction (and about grammar no less!) So you won't find yourself on the edge of your seat or anything as you read it. But you will find it softly engaging and interesting and find yourself pulled into the mindset of those people who take grammar a good deal more seriously than most of us.

Particularly helpful is the fact that each recommendation comes with examples, so that you can see in practice what he is actually talking about, and that each part is not overly long, so you don't feel the need to reach for the metaphorical gun to put yourself out of your misery!

If you set aside the contents, introduction and appendix then this book is only 85 pages long, which I actually saw as a good thing. No doubt there are books on grammar that can quite happily be used as tables in their own right, but I wonder how many normal people actually read them?

It's a bit like Stephen Hawking's "Brief History of Time" in that owning a copy of such tomes doesn't automatically mean you have read them!

This one I have read. I honestly don't know if it improved my grammar much (oh ok I do...It didn't! I think you would need to make more than a casual study of this to really improve much). But the door is at least slightly ajar to seeing the light and perhaps, some day, also marveling at the difference between a conjunctive pronoun and a restrictive adverb (something which I have personally never heard of, but which I feel happy to allow some Grammar God to now lay claim too).

Overall, a book that is well worth your time.

12 High Capacity Compatible Ink Cartridge Replace Epson T0715 / T0895. 3x T0711/T0891 Black, 3x T0712/T0892 Cyan, 3x T0713/T0893 Magenta, 3x T0711/T0894 Yellow
Offered by PerfectPrint
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Great. Good Price... Don't Update Your Drivers!, 29 Nov 2013
I have an Epson BX300F printer as a replacement for a Lexmark Laser Printer, precisely because the cost of the consumables on the Lexmark was so outrageous.

If there is something that you can count on (in addition to the old adage about death and taxes), then it is that printer manufacturers will try to gouge you on the cost of replacement printer cartridges.

The Lexmark would have cost about 200 to replace the ink, which I have to say took my breath away, and so the Epson was a (much) cheaper alternative.

Before I originally bought it I checked on Amazon to see the price of the replacement cartridges and was pleased to come across this listing. These aren't "official" cartridges, because those would cost multiples of what these cost, but they do work just fine for general printing, and honestly, the print quality from these looks great to me.

One thing you should be aware of with inkjet printers (in my opinion) is to NEVER update the drivers (firmware) that comes with the printer. Always install the original firmware / drivers that come on the disk with the printer and don't do it from the internet. This is because the "old" drivers always work fine, but more importantly, they haven't blocked cartridges like this from working with the printer.

I am yet to see a printer driver update that added ANY new features. The "updates" are only ever designed to stop you from using cheap ink cartidges (like these), that aren't made by Epson.

Technically I guess using these invalidates your Epson warranty. But the cost is alll in the cartridge replacement, not the original purchase, so you will have to make up your own mind about that.

In any case, rest assured that for the Epson BX300F printer these cartridges work just dandy!

Chrome Traditional Style Towel Radiator Rail Valves Angled Pair Central Heating Taps 15mm NEW
Offered by Trade In Post Limited
Price: 14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Look Great!, 29 Nov 2013
I have to say first off that I never realized (before investigating this) that radiators didn't automatically comes with the taps 9it seems a bit odd to me - like electrical appliances not coming with plugs or something!). But nevertheless, the fact is that the nice new radiator that my mum wanted didn't come with them and so we also had to get these.

I am pleased to be able to say that these look great and really do finish off the look of the radiator nicely. Clearly they are radiator taps, so no-one should be expected to do a jig down the road when these arrive, but the fact is that they DO look very nice.

Overall, I would have to say that it is worthwhile to get the matching pair of these, because they do complement the radiator nicely. Had I have put a cheapo "modern" set on the radiator then it really wouldn't have looked as good. These are also cheaper on Amazon then you typically find in B and Q and places like that.

PS They arrived quickly as well. Overall, a good buy.

Bosch 30cm x 1.1mm Chainsaw Chain for Bosch AKE 30 LI
Bosch 30cm x 1.1mm Chainsaw Chain for Bosch AKE 30 LI
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great... If put on the right way..., 25 Nov 2013
My dad managed to buy himself a cheap chainsaw at the boot fair. It worked fine, but the blade seemed very blunt, hence this purchase.

It was a little bit of a phaff to put it on. But that turned out to be because the original owner of the chainsaw had put the chain on back to front! So I am not actually sure that this purchase was even required.

However, we tested it out over the weekend on a tree that needed trimming back, and I am happy to report that this new chain performed very well.

No idea about its longevity because we have only used it the once, so this is hardly a "long-term" review. But in terms of the blade fitting fine and actually cutting well, it is seeming like a good buy.

Sanguine Tweezers - Slant Tip - Stainless Steel
Sanguine Tweezers - Slant Tip - Stainless Steel
Offered by Sanguine Scissors Ltd
Price: 7.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tweezers, 25 Nov 2013
These are great tweezers. I bought them because I was getting fed up trying to use my old ones which didn't have very defined edges and which made it difficult to pull out smaller hairs.

These work great. Because they are newer the edge is nice and tapered and so gripping onto hairs is made very easy.

I looked at several other brands which may or may not be better, but they were consdierably more expensive. And honestly, I couldn't see any compelling reasons to buy them over these.

These have proved to be a good buy. The angle of the edge makes it a breeze to pull out even very fine hairs, and they come in an enclosed unit that you can put them back into after use, so they remain protected from the moist air in the bathroom, so are likely to remain usable for a good while to come.

Johnson's Cotton Buds
Johnson's Cotton Buds
Offered by REMI DIRECT
Price: 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear-Tastic!, 25 Nov 2013
I like these cotton buds. They are not too big at the end and the cotton material is quite tightly packed, so they don't come loose in your ears.

There is a sense I think with these that if it ain'y broke, don't fix it! And I can't see any good reason not to buy these. They do the job, don't fall apart, and come at a reasonable price.

What's not to like?

Colour Coded Dustpan Blue. Brush Sold separately.
Colour Coded Dustpan Blue. Brush Sold separately.
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies
Price: 3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 25 Nov 2013
This is a good dustpan. They are surpriseingly difficult to find. When I went and had a look around it seems like the open-ended sort are very common, but the ones that are closed-in on the sides are much more difficult to find to buy.

Honestly, this seems a little crazy to me, as the closed ones allow you to pick up fine dust much easier without spilling it etc.

Anyhow, this dustpan performs well and seems suitably sturdy and well-made so I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3