Profile for Balai Zsolt > Reviews

Content by Balai Zsolt

Balai Zsolt "zbalai" (Basel, Switzerland)

Little Big Soldier [DVD] [2010]
Little Big Soldier [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jackie Chan
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done tragicomedy, 11 Dec. 2011
I loved this flic, but of course I am not a popular movie fan. Besides I have much interest in Chinese language, history and mentality.
Storytelling is not as tight as in some recent western films, but exactly this gives viewers the opportunity to think and reflect on events.
I appreciated the anti-war sentiment, what is quite common in today's Chinese movies.

Pros:
-beautiful scenery
-Jackie excels in comic situations
-Chinese energy

Cons:
-too many slapstick scenes
-some scenes may seem unrefined

Domain-driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
Domain-driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
by Eric Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad paper quailty, 26 Nov. 2010
I have not fully read the book yet, but it has valuable content inside. Programming architecture is a quite "artistic" field with many undocumented parts. This books shows new principles and can be very helpful.

Only the paper quality is very POOR: its too thin, so you see the shadow of the text on the other side. What is going on with book printing?

Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move!
Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move!
by Keith Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of Actionscript and the necessary math, 24 Feb. 2010
I have this book and actually I did read it fully (this is not always the case). What I know about Actionscript I know from here and from personal spiking and tinkering with the system.

Miroir De Soi
Miroir De Soi
Offered by Music-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Miroir De Soi (Audio CD)
The first song - Le Miroir - is one of the nicest I've heard in my life.
Like stepping into a clear and cool lake on a hot day and feeling the light breeze on your shoulders.

SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars (PC)
SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars (PC)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, 8 July 2006
I liked this thing a lot.
It has a delicate and fine gameplay for the ones, who are interested not only reading a fantasy book, but being in the middle of it.
Graphics is breathtaking, actually I've bought a better notebook also to enjoy the visuals of this game in a higher resolution...

Foundation Actionscript Animation: Making Things Move!
Foundation Actionscript Animation: Making Things Move!
by Keith Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jan. 2006
I really love this book. In the first 40 pages I've learned more actionscript than from two other books. Keith Peters concentrates on the important things, leaving away the useless clutter.
It is an interesting read, also if you don't specially want to program animations. By the way, don't miss the foreword from Aral Balkan.

Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed
Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed
by Jakob Nielsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very usable, 19 May 2002
I've read about 10 books and tutorials about site design. This was the best of them in terms of usability.
Jakob's Law has an unbelievable importance: "users spend most of their time on other sites than your site.".
There is a separate section for statistics what contains the range and the average of properties like:
-Page width
-Logo location
-Width of search box
...
I felt at last somebody tells what to do if I want to create a site what is simple to use.
Another book to check out is: Don't make me think!