Profile for Norman Cheeseworthy > Reviews

Content by Norman Cheesew...

Norman Cheeseworthy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Berghaus Men's Kilnsey Micro Half Zip Fleece Jacket - Black, Large
Berghaus Men's Kilnsey Micro Half Zip Fleece Jacket - Black, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Comes up slightly small, but feels fantastic, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lightweight, half zip fleece. Feels extremely soft, and the warmth is immediately noticeable from the moment you put it on. I normally take a size Medium, but the Large is just about right considering I'd probably wear a jumper underneath too, so you may want to go one size up. As we're supposedly in the summer, it's too early to say how warm this will keep you, but I think it would be great for chilly Autumn evenings.

Shimano PTFE Dry Workshop Lube - Multicoloured, 100ml
Shimano PTFE Dry Workshop Lube - Multicoloured, 100ml
Offered by bikewright

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 July 2015
The difference this makes to your shifting and overall smooth running is just astounding. It can be a bit of a dirt magnet, but if you've got a regular wipe and re-lube routine in place, it’s not really an issue. Highly recommended.

Tefal Multi-Cook Advanced 45-in-1 Multi-Cooker
Tefal Multi-Cook Advanced 45-in-1 Multi-Cooker

1.0 out of 5 stars Fairly pointless faff, 11 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On paper the Tefal multi-cooker looks to be the do everything miracle kitchen device that will do away with your conventional cooker forever, but sadly in reality this is far from true. This is possibly one of the biggest gimmicks I’ve seen in quite a while.

In truth, the majority of recipes that can be prepared in the multi-cooker would be quicker and less messy using your traditional pots and pans. And as quite a few of them need other things making simultaneously, a cooker is still needed to run at the same time, making the whole idea pretty pointless.

It seems heavily geared towards rice and pasta dishes, which are quick and easy to prepare anyway. You also need to find the worktop space for it too (its about the size of a bread maker), which may be a problem in smaller kitchens.

The only situation I can imagine this being useful is if you’re entertaining large numbers of people and have run out of cooker rings – in this instance the Tefal could well be a life saver!

If it works for you then the RRP isn’t that extortionate, but for me it’s a waste of time, effort and worktop space, destined to be put at the back of the cupboard, probably never to see the light of day again.

Vodafone Sony Xperia E1 Pay as you go Handset - Purple/Black
Vodafone Sony Xperia E1 Pay as you go Handset - Purple/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great budget phone, 7 July 2015
Great little phone and for the money really can't be beat. Setting up emails and apps is an absolute breeze, and the touch screen is very responsive. Battery life is ok-ish - not bad, not great. Nice big colourful screen, and a sturdy build. Very pleased with mine!

Optoma NE800M NuForce Earphones
Optoma NE800M NuForce Earphones

4.0 out of 5 stars These are great, but there are cheaper alternatives out there, 7 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Boasting a carbon fibre shell to eliminate micro dynamic vibrations, the NE800M is clearly targeting those looking to maximise every ounce of performance to enhance their listening experience, so it's a little strange that they mention gamers in a lot of their sales blurb, when I'd have thought that subtle details would be wasted on a typical games machine, but hey what do I know!

What I do know however is that these are very good headphones. Rich trebles, and powerful bass, certainly well rounded for the type of music I listen to. I'm very much into my music, but I wouldn't describe myself as a buff, nor would I say my ears appreciate every little nuance so I can't say either way whether the inclusion of the carbon fibre is the reason they sound so good, but they do. In terms of value for money, they perform just as well as headphones I've used costing around the 75-80 price range, so are a little over priced, but then you're paying for the build as well as the sound quality.

They come with a Smartphone compatible inline remote to enable you to take calls, and the 1.3m wires are apparently tangle-free (the bain of my life) and sweat resistant, so great for use whilst exercising. All packaged up in a study carry case. The choice of ear buds will also ensure you get a good fit in the ear which won't come out when on the move too.

So, a great pair of headphones, but a little bit overpriced, considering you could pick up a pair of superb Bose SoundTrue headphones for much less.

Oral-B Stages Power Kids Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Featuring Disney Mickey Mouse for Kids

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and fun, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very simple and easy to use electric toothbrush - ideal for little ones. After powering up simply brush the bottom teeth for one minute before a short melody plays to prompt you to move to the top, whereby after a further minute another tune plays to signal the end of the cleaning session. Simples! The brush body itself feels quite robust and is easy for little hands to grip. Its actually a lot quieter than I thought it would be too. My 4 year old thinks its great, and it is a big step up from the cheap supermarket electric toothbrush she's been using. A bargain at its current price, though not at the full RRP.

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be balmy not to try it, 24 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike Vaseline, this is a non-greasy balm which you can actually feel working if your lips are especially dry (you get a slight tingling, but nothing unpleasant). I find its best to use it regularly before you get to that point though. It has a subtle smell, and you only need a small amount to get the job done. It seems to get absorbed into the skin quickly yet still protects for a long time. Best applied at night.

I prefer the pot, as if you carry the tube around in your pocket and it gets overly warm, the balm turns very runny – so be warned!

This is probably one of the best lip balms out there, and at a bargain price too.

Philips S5600/41 Series 5000 Aqua Touch Electric Shaver with Smart Click Beard Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars As close as it gets..., 24 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m a big fan of traditional wet shaving as it affords you the very best shave possible. However, there are times when I don’t have the time, or energy to get my brush and creams out, so I reach for an electric razor to get the job done.

I’ve used quite a few electric razors in my time, some good, some not so, but the Aqua Touch is up there with the best I’ve tried.

It’s a smooth action, making short work of my fairy thick stubble, and washes clean easily. I’m not crazy about the way it looks, and I found it a little cumbersome in use, especially under the chin area, but then I’m used to throwing a 4 inch piece of stainless steel across my face, so anything else was always going to feel unwieldy!

If you’re a big electric razor fan, and can stomach the fairly steep RRP, then I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. You’re obcviously paying more for the beard trimming feature though, so if you don’t have any face fungus, then you might want to consider the cheaper SensoTouch model instead.

Early Rider Road Runner 14-inch Aluminium Balance Bike - Age 3 to 4.5 years
Early Rider Road Runner 14-inch Aluminium Balance Bike - Age 3 to 4.5 years

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce of Balance Bikes!, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a few balance bikes in the past (for my children, not me!) and they've all been your standard wooden affairs. When first constructed they look and perform beautifully, but its usually not long before threads become stripped, bearings start sounding like you're walking down a gravel driveway, and generally they roll along about as easily as a steam roller going up a hill.

The Early Rider Road Runner is a completely different beast altogether though. It's clearly aimed at bike mad parents who want their little ones to have a bike that is a bit more like mum and dad's, and this is a real stunner. Alluminium frame, fork and stem, carbon seatpost, integrated headset, drop bars - clearly a lot of thought has got into the design. Of course, it's all more for the benefit of the showy parents than the child - at the end of the day it's for learning balance, so your typical three year old isn't going to appreciate or (let's be honest) need, these little extras. But heck, wouldn't life be boring if we only ever bought the things we really need! Sure, the integrated headset will stand up to the elements better than your average balance bike, and you could argue that as your child builds up their confidence, then they may try getting down into the drops for a bit more speed, but to be honest by the time they're at that stage, they should be on their next bike anyway.

The build quality is superb. It'll stand up to knocks much better than it's wooden counterparts, and the addition of a proper saddle (as apposed to a very thin piece of foam stuck onto a wooden plate) is a much welcome feature. The RRP may seem expensive for a balance bike, but when you take into account the specification, it really isn't.

So, will the Road Runner make your child a better rider compared to other balance bikes? No. Will it help them learn to ride any quicker? Probably not. Will owning one give you extra kudos when you discuss it on the next club run? You betcha!

I'm a bike mad parent myself, and I can totally see why Early Rider would market such a bike, and they know all too well we'll all want one for our little ones!

skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but no better than the cheaper alternatives out there, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not being up on such things, I had to do a bit of research to find out just what makes this anti-wrinkle cream so special (or not). It contains the 'award winning syn-ake' which according to the Dermatology Review is a topical anti-aging treatment, marketed as an alternative to Botox injections and other types of synthetic treatments that are formulated to get rid of wrinkles, crow’s feet, and other signs of aging. This ingredient is a synthetic form of snake venom, and replicates the effects of a peptide that is known as Waglerin 1, which is a component of the venom found in the Temple Viper, a poisonous snake native to southeast Asia. It works by reducing contractions in the face and reduces cell movement; thereby keeping the skin smooth.

So, it all sounds pretty impressive, but does it work, and is it worth the RRP of almost £180 for a 50ml bottle?

As a moisturiser, the skin does feeling noticeably softer after use, and there is a very slight flattening of fine lines around the eyes, so in that respect it does work, but whether it is worth the RRP is another matter. I personally don't think it gives any better results than a substantially cheaper L'Oreal product I’ve used in the past.

It's certainly packaged up to give the feel of a luxury product, although don’t be fooled by the size of the bottle – it is far bigger than the amount of cream you get inside. At the end of the day if it works for you and you're comfortable paying that sort of money on a regular basis, then it's all good. However, with the many much cheaper alternatives available, I'm just not sure I would!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20