Profile for G. Davies > Reviews

Content by G. Davies

G. Davies "Book hunter" (Wales, United Kingdom)

I Am Love [DVD] (2009)
I Am Love [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Tilda Swinton
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: I Am Love [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
This has to be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The aesthetics are in a word, delicious. The casting is perfect, Tilda has to be applauded for taking on an Italian-speaking role and taking to it so well. Furthermore, Marisa and the rest of the cast are sublime. The film wasn't only beautiful and well acted, but the narrative too is really interesting as well.

Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through a Country's Hidden Past
Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through a Country's Hidden Past
by Giles Tremlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Ghosts..., 29 May 2009
I thought this book was brilliant and incredibly thought-provoking. It is absolutely essential for holidaymakers and expats I believe.

In particular I think readers would appreciate Tremlett's pieces on Basque and Catalan nationalism as well as the rise of the concrete jungles that litter the Spanish Costas.

The Pursuit of Laughter
The Pursuit of Laughter
by Diana Mosley (Mitford)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pursuit of Laughter by Diana Mosley, 24 Jan. 2009
I must recommend this book, it is a treasure trove of Diana's collected journalism. Most of all, I enjoyed the diversity, she covers topics from literature, sex and religion to politics and war. The book is highly informative and you feel confident in the knowledge that she is a highly competent book reviewer.

Amidst the intelligent and lengthy essays, there are some truly witty gems. Perhaps the most entertaining review included is that of The Diaries of Cynthia Gladwyn. The review titled 'Catty Musings of a Living Doll' is genuinely assessed in a competent manner and still manages to be hillarious simultaneously.

How curious, I see that the future paperback release cover advertises the authour as 'Diana Mitford' rather than Diana Mosley. But I think that in recent times her works are being appreciated as a stand-alone success, regardless of her husband's politics. She has cemented her name as a bona fide Mitfordian writer, that easily rivals the works of Nancy and Jessica.