Profile for Lou > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery
The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be a little bit better, 24 Sep 2014
This is an fairly good game, it could do without as many hints and without as many adverts. It's a good way to pass the time until I run out of energy.

Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista
Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, 22 Sep 2014
Meet Avery. Avery has just begun working for an airline in their marketing department. She's also determined to prove that she is not obsessed with finding a rich husband to look after her and that she's not a fashionista.
Meet Deke. Deke works for the filming crew who are making a documentary about the airline. When Deke meets Avery his first impression is... That she's a fashionista looking for a loaded hubby!

As we read Deke and Avery's story we are shown that first impressions aren't always right. As Deke and Avery begin to get to know each other better, they realise that maybe their first impressions were wrong. They also learn that sometimes you just have to not do what your supposed to do.

Aven has written another feel good book. This book is packed with emotions, laughs and romance. The banter between Avery and Deke is funny, and made me giggle. Aven's writing style flows fantastically, it grabs your attention and holds it. I was drawn into Avery and Deke's world and I didn't want to leave.

Avery started off a little annoying but her character develops well, or should I say her true character becomes clearer as the book progresses. Deke... Hmmm... I think he could probably persuade me to get in front of a camera! ;) I really liked how he watched and studied Avery but kept his thoughts concealed; it gave him an air of mysteriousness.

Overall this is another great book by Aven, that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading. If you love feel good romance books then grab yourself a copy.

Dead Girl Walking (Royal Reaper)
Dead Girl Walking (Royal Reaper)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars, 22 Sep 2014
Princess Ophelia is betrothed to a Prince, her heart however; belongs to another; Larkin. Larkin is a commoner and has no idea that 'Lelia' is really Princess Ophelia. In order for Princess Ophelia to see Larkin she has to sneak out of the castle at night. Once again Princess Ophelia has snuck off and met up with Larkin. Their evening is going to plan until Princess Ophelia leaves the tavern to use the out house. She never makes it to the out house as someone else is out there and murders her.

The death of Princess Ophelia is the beginning for Lelia the reaper. Now Princess Ophelia is dead she is given a choice; pass on and cease to exist or give up her old life and exist as a grim reaper. As a reaper she will have to help other souls to pass on when their bodies die.

Can she really give up her old life? Walk away from her father and sister? Can she help other souls to pass on? Lelia wonders if whilst she's a reaper she can find out who murdered her and why.

Dead Girl Walking was a refreshingly different book. I've never actually read a book about grim reapers.

Princess Ophelia has her life suddenly ripped away from her when she is brutally murdered. Then she is launched into a world that she never knew existed; where she must help souls of others who have died to pass on painlessly.

Lelia the reaper has 4 other experienced reapers who serve the area, and who have been tasked with teaching her the ropes. One of these reapers has even managed to catch Lelia's eye, could there be a reaper romance blossoming??

Dead Girl Walking was an easy read. I was quickly engrossed in Lelia's story and adventures. Lelia was a great character, it was easy to believe and experience Lelia's 'life' as a reaper. Lelia has plenty of character too, she enjoys bending the rules to suit herself. The other reapers are also good and realistic. I would love to know more about them.

I enjoyed how Ruth's writing seems to flow effortlessly from scene to scene. The world that Ruth has built is realistic and I could picture both the characters and myself there. I enjoyed the way Ruth has chosen not to have lots of supporting characters, as I felt there was more intimacy with the main characters.

Dead Girl Walking was a fairly quick and enjoyable read. I definitely want to read book #2 to find out what happens next. If you love paranormal, angels, grim reapers or murders then give this book a chance. I'm glad I did and I'm looking forward to my next encounter with this series or any of Ruth's works.

Guided (The Jade Ring Series Book 1)
Guided (The Jade Ring Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars. Amazing Debut!!, 22 Sep 2014
Guided is Danielle's debut novel, but for me it doesn't show signs of being written by a newbie author. The writing is fluid, easy to follow and read. The pace is great; my attention was captured and held; every time I read it. The POV changes throughout the book between Jo and Jasper; but at no point did I get confused over who POV I was reading.

I love Jo's character, she seems to take most things in her stride. Her personal development is astonishing, not just because of the introduction of magic either; but her strength and determination of.
Jasper, Mmmm.... yes please! He can stellarport me to his meadow any time! ;) I really enjoyed seeing the changes and development in him too. His emotion is so fierce and powerful, I could feel it oozing from my ereader.

The world in which the story is set is very believable and realistic. I felt as though the words transported me into the heart of the story, it was as if I was there and really wanted to be able to help Jo and Jasper several times.

The writing is fantastic, there's so much emotion laced throughout. I remember when I first read Guided and I was reading it in blocks of 5 chapters, and I came across a couple of parts that brought tears to my eyes; well even now those parts still being tears to my eyes! If Danielle was going for ripping out my heart then she had certainly achieved it! I do get the feeling that it won't stop there, I think my heart will end up being ripped into tiny pieces and stamped on before the end of Jo and Jasper's story.

For a debut author Danielle; has done an amazing job. I would definitely recommend taking a chance on Danielle's work and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Guided has magic, fantasy, laughs, tears and a few moments that caused me to shout at my ereader.

I can't wait for book #2, I'm looking forward to seeing just what is in store for everyone.

I'm giving Guided a 5* rating.

Danielle, I just want you to know that I have loved each and every page, every time I've read them! I can't wait for the next installment!

Grading him: Book 1 Him Her Them Series
Grading him: Book 1 Him Her Them Series

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Star, Quick Read, 22 Sep 2014
Luna and Josephine are roommates and best friends too. They enjoy going out and are always on the hunt foe their next guy. The thing with Luna and Josephine is that when they find their next guy, they grade him. Not in terms of 1 to 10 but like a teacher would grade a test paper; i.e. D,C,B,A,A+ etc.

On this particular night Luna and Josephine (Jo) are out with a couple of friends; who aren't exactly fun to be around. Jo is at, well behind, the bar after giving the barman what for over her drink when she meets Pierce.

Pierce is a smoking hot guy and Jo is practically drooling at him, in all honesty so was I!! Jo is itching to get Pierce into bed so she can see what grade he will score.

This is a great quick read. I enjoyed reading about Jo and Pierce. I'd love to know what the future has in store for them. There is a whole load of chemistry between these two, its there right from the beginning. Its this chemistry that has me wondering just what the future may have in store for them.

Each character has emotion and passion in them and when they are together they seem to draw more passion out of each other. Jo is a strong and confident woman who isn't afraid to go after what she wants. Pierce is very likable, he's not controlling, not that I think he could even if he wanted to, and seems to treat Jo well.

I do have just one question though, what happened to Luna?

This is my first book by Elizabeth Lynx and I don't think it will be my last. I really did enjoy reading Grading Him. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a quick dose of something a little steamy!!!

The Space In Between - Book 1
The Space In Between - Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, 22 Sep 2014
Moira suffers from ADHD and is taking meds to help control it, but the meds are affecting her ability to tap into her creativity. She loves art, and loves painting. Moira's boyfriend is very controlling and is clearly not helping her.

As halloween approaches Moira's sister wants Moira and her brother's help to perform a wiccan ritual to enable them to speak with their grandparents again. During the ritual the 3 siblings all find themselves in the same dream in which Moira meets Hayko. Hayko appears to be stuck in this 'inbetween' land with no memories. moira's gut instinct is to help Hayko.

By helping Hayko Moira is on course to see all the things that she has been blind to for so long. Will Moira lose herself or can she come through this trial stronger and in more control of her life??

I really have enjoyed sharing Moira's journey. I have loved watching her grow and develop with each and every page. Moira is oblivious to how much her boyfriend influences her decisions and her life. But upon meeting Hayko things begin to change. Hayko appears to Moira when the wiccan ritual is performed. He is trapped between worlds and with no memories, the question is why?

Each night Moira and Hayko get closer to each other and they stand together to face and try to defeat the powerful forces in this in between world. By day Moira is fighting her own personal demons too. It is only when Hayko shows her that she can do more and deserves more that Moira realises just how much she has been held back and begins to change things for the better.

The plot is really good, it feels a tad slow at the very beginning but that doesn't last long, and I was definitely hooked. Jen Minkman has created a set of characters and 2 worlds within this book that are extremely well thought out and very realistic. I had no problems imagining myself alongside Moira and Hayko. Each of the character's plays a role and has an impact upon the overall story. Jen Minkman's writing is once again fantastic, its full of heart felt emotion. It has the ability to make you sit back and actually take a look at your own life too.

The Space In Between is an emotional romance full of dreams, fantasies, angels, demons and witches. It has the power to induce a philosophical throught or two along the way and made me question a few things in my life too.

4.5* I loved this book and look forward to my next encounter with Jen Minkman.

BREAKING MY HEART: Book 1 in My Heart Series
BREAKING MY HEART: Book 1 in My Heart Series

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5*, Loved it!!, 22 Sep 2014
This is the beginning of Roxy and Kade's story. Roxy is a 24 year old independent woman. She works 4 days a week add a graphic designer and spends 1 day at uni. At the weekends she loves nothing more than to go out with her best friend Jemma, they drink and use recreational drugs. Roxy enjoys sex and is rather promiscuous. She's been hurt in the past and therefore doesn't allow herself to become emotionally involved.

Whilst out with Jemma, Roxy spots a good looking make sat by himself and she decides that he will be her bit of 'fun' for the evening, cue Kade! She heads over and invites him back to her place but he refuses. He does however say that he wants to see her again. Phone numbers are given out and Roxy heads back to fond Jemma.

Kade is a construction site manager. He loves surfing and hopes that one day he can go pro. Between work and surfing Kade hasn't had many females in his life. But there's something about Roxy he likes.

Will they get a chance together? Will the past cause too many problems? Can
Roxy finally get over her hurt? Will she be brave enough to risk being hurt again?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Roxy and Kade, I'm looking forward to book #2 in this series.

Roxy has emotionally locked down, she's built walls around her heart in order to protect it. She has a hard time trusting men and she thinks that they are only after one thing; sex. She enjoys sex and when she sees a man she wants she isn't afraid to go after him. Usually this pays off, until the night Roxy meets Kade. When Kade turns her down, Roxy is shocked both by the fact that he says no and then that he wants to see her again.

Kade; could he be Roxy's knight in shining armour? Kade seems to spend a lot of time forgiving Roxy at the start, especially as she is hell bent on trying to push him away. Kade shows that he has a jealous angry streak in him too, which causes more problems for the couple.

But a relationship is new territory for both of them and there's bound to be teething problems, right? Kade's anger spills out when his mother leaves his father, this devastates Kade and his family. Which in turn makes him question of he can be what Roxy truly deserves. Can he? Hmm... You better get reading!

The characters are great, very realistic and easy to relate to. They both have their own issues and have always had their own way of dealing with the things life has thrown at them. Kade and Roxy both grow into stronger characters. They appear to learn from their experiences and they change and adapt to each situation . The conversations and situations are realistic and believable too.
I did find that on occasion the swapping from one POV to the other could be a little repetitive, I know it may have been to give both characters thought and feelings, but I still felt as though it could be have been done slightly differently.

My only other minor bug bear is that some parts were a little too sickly sweet for my liking; but I know that some people are like that in real life too. I've seen them!

Other than those two small points, I really have enjoyed this book. I can't wait to read book #2. I think this is a book about trying to overcome fears and personal demons, but also learning to trust and believing that some risks are worth taking.

Breaking My Heart made me laugh, cringe, giggle and cry. It's a great debut novel by Aleya. The cliffhanger ending definitely has me hanging and NEEDING book #2. I'm itching to get my hands on it, because I have been pulled into Roxy and Kade's lives. I NEED to know what will happen next.

A great first novel with humour, romance and some seriously up close and personal steaminess! A page turner that has left me wanting, no Needing more!!!

Great work Aleya! I can't wait to read book #2!!

Fiendish-A Twisted Fairytale
Fiendish-A Twisted Fairytale

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book, 22 Sep 2014
Calida has had a rough time she chose to move to Atlanta from Charlotte following a painful break up. She wants to change how she sees herself. Since her break up she hasn't dated or wanted to date. Then she bumps into Seth. Seth is; well; charming, sexy and the all the things dreams are made of, or is he?? Behind his sexy exterior is a predator with some serious skills! Calida's shyness tempts Seth into playing a game where the stakes are incredibly high.

Is Seth still in control? Have the stakes been raised a bit too high? Can Calida become the person she wants to be?

I have loved every page of this book. It has not been a quick or short read, but I have been engrossed in every single page. I love the depth and personalities of these characters.

Calida's willingness to openly trust people and her naivety for me was her biggest downfall. She knew that her relationship with Seth wasn't healthy but she chose to not try to change it. Seth, oh my, he was awesome when he was being nice. He's so sick and twisted underneath. Seth intrigued me, his ability to switch between this almost loving, hot and sexy person into a possessive, dominating, manipulative, evil murderous ass was unreal, it would happen so fast almost like switching a light on. The scenes when Seth was with a "Pet" could be quite disturbing, but those scenes for me made the book so much more appealing, Sorry I can't help it.

The story overall is awesome. This is one of very few dark and twisted books that I have read recently and really enjoyed. This isn't a quick read at over 600 pages, but it is definitely well worth the time. This is the first book by Meka James that I've read and I'm thrilled to have been introduced to her work.

I thought Meka's writing style was really good, everything had flow and continuity. The story doesn't jump or falter. The descriptions give enough information to begin building a vision but leaves out just enough just enough to allow the reader to add more details and keeps you guessing until the end.

I'm not convince that "A Twisted Fairy tale" does this book justice, this is so much more than a fairytale. I will definitely be recommending this book to other people as it is definitely a favourite for me. I am now looking forward to my next encounter with Meka James' work!

This is an awesome book, well written and definitely dark and twisted. A book not for younger reads and not for the feint hearted! 5* all the way!! :)

Thirty Scary Tales (Illustrated): Horror Stories
Thirty Scary Tales (Illustrated): Horror Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5* Rating, 22 Sep 2014
I really enjoyed reading Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall, but I can't help feeling a little bit let down, maybe my expectations were too high I'm not sure, but I definitely didn't find this book scary. Creepy at times yes, but scary not for me. Maybe I've read too much horror and have become desensitised to it? Either way this is still a really good book, that I have enjoyed reading.

Each story has its own variation on a dark theme that are creepy enough to provoke thoughts that can make you glance around the room or over your shoulder.

Rayne Hall has the knack of drawing the reader into the story. Her writing style is really good, the stories all have a good flow and pace to them. Each contained enough information to allow me to create images in my own head. The stories are clear and well thought out.

Overall I enjoyed reading these tales and I think that there will be something in here for everyone. As Rayne says at the start of the book:
"Fear is personal. The same story may constrict one person's chest and set their heart racing, yet send only a mild tingle down another reader's spine." (loc 55 kindle)

This book is a good read and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. 3.5*

TUFFskinz Premium Quality Screen Protectors :Samsung Galaxy S5 - Anti Glare Matte edition (2 in Pack Front)
Offered by TUFFskinz

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to fit, 14 July 2014
So easy to fit, went on in a matter of seconds. Not a speck of dirt or single bubble. I don't have a problem viewing my screen in sunlight with this product on either. Arrived within a couple of days of ordering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6