Profile for Tom W > Reviews

The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution
The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution
by Francis Fukuyama

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I never knew I've always wanted, 2 July 2011
Loads of books exist detailing how the Romans, Chinese, Greeks, Indians, Arabs etc. developed and the course of their history. I had yet to find a book that linked all these different paths as part of a complete, comparative work before I purchased this one. Fukuyama shows in a concise yet convincing manner how the myriads of factors affecting different societies combined to produce such diverse results from one culture to the next. I eagerly anticipate the second volume.

Maximes Et Reflexions Diverses
Maximes Et Reflexions Diverses
by La Rochefoucauld
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 8 May 2011
I bought this book less for the philosophy involved than for the complicated level of French I'd find there (I'm studying the language and really wanted to stretch myself). I really wasn't disappointed, and it became a real struggle to understand all of it, but I eventually managed it. As far as the text itself is concerned, there's certainly some good comments on human nature in there, but nothing particularly profound. Well worth the money.

Rome: Total War - Gold Edition (Mac)
Rome: Total War - Gold Edition (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm biased, but I love it., 9 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been a fan of this game since it came out, more so even than Medieval 2 and subsequent games in the series, and the only problem I had with my new Mac was the lack of games, specifically this game.

It's an excellent transfer from Windows to OSX, both games work pretty much flawlessly and it's as much fun as ever. Modding potential is limited simply because most of the modding community work on Windows (unsurprisingly) but Europa Barbarorum works well, and the website explains how to install it even if you have no previous experience in installing mods on a Mac (like me). The game did crash once when I was running EB and the music can get stuck during an EB battle, but that's not really part of the product anyway so don't base an opinion on that.

Added bonus - it arrived the morning after I ordered it, despite choosing standard delivery which could have taken up to 12 days. Whether this is standard for these guys I don't know, but I certainly have no complaints!

Spring Guitar Capo Alloy
Spring Guitar Capo Alloy
Offered by LTZmart

5.0 out of 5 stars It's cheap and it works perfectly., 9 Mar 2011
The shape of the bit that presses against the neck can make it difficult to use high up the fretboard (8th fret or higher on mine is tricky) but the odds that you'll ever need a capo that high are quite rare. I bought it a while ago and the spring's still strong, pressure's fine on every string and overall a very good bit of kit for the price.

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
by Bobby Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise Him and His Noodly Appendage!, 9 Mar 2011
Excellent book, well written, arrived on time. Very little else to say, if you're looking at this book you're either a Pastafarian sympathiser, in which case you'll love it, or you're a born-again Christian looking to troll, in which case you'll hate it but that have to forgive Bobby Henderson for writing it, which'll probably only make you even angrier. Maybe a nice plate of spaghetti to calm down?

Only negative thing I would put is that it'd be even better if it were more 'gospel-y' in appearance, i.e. an actual Bible-style leather cover, that thin sort of paper that the Gideons use to keep costs down, and then the parody aspect would really be complete. Ah well, you can't have everything, and it really is an excellent book.