Profile for ae payne > Reviews

Content by ae payne

ae payne "Gothglitz" (Cheshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Optical Science
Optical Science
Offered by SCIENCE SHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Great science kit., 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Optical Science (Toy)
We bought this for our 6 year old daughter. We've done a few of the activities/experiments at a time and it's lasted us ages. It's got lots of things to make and do - we especially love the pinhole 'camera' (It doesn't take photos, it shows the image on the screen at the back of the 'camera' box). All the parts are substantial and good quality. There are some things that you will need, which aren't included in the box - torches, sticky tape,etc. - but it does tell you on the back of the box what you'll need.

My daughter loves this so much, she woke us up early today so that we could do some more! I highly recommend it.

Talking Tables Something in The Air Butterfly Place Card, Pack of 10, Gold
Talking Tables Something in The Air Butterfly Place Card, Pack of 10, Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect place cards for my daughter's Birthday party, 11 Mar 2014
Quite by accident, my daughter's 6th Birthday party ended up with a butterfly theme. These place cards arrived very quickly and in a small, clear plastic box - which had kept them in perfect condition.

They were easy to write on with a Sharpie and looked really beautiful attached to the plastic cups (not as classy as glasses but these were all 5 & 6 year olds!). They were a hit with both boys and girls, and all the children wanted to take them home as part of their party bags.

The laser cut design is really clear and makes these butterflies very elegant. The gold is not too bright and gaudy - they are more like an antique gold colour with a nice shimmer to them. The card itself is quite sturdy - I was worried at first about tearing or damaging them as I put them on the cups, but they stood up well to all the man-handling.

All in all, a very successful purchase.

Pearl Automotive PDST02 18mm x 5m Double Sided Tape
Pearl Automotive PDST02 18mm x 5m Double Sided Tape
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars This tape really works well., 11 Mar 2014
I had LED Lights in a strip that needed to be stuck to the inside of a wooden frame. The double-sided tape that was already included just kept on peeling off the wood. It probably didn't help that one or the other of the surfaces didn't seem to be flat. In desperation, I searched Amazon and found this tape. It worked like a charm, and first time too. It really saved the day.

Okay, this review might not help much as I didn't buy it for my car, but all I can say is that it did the job and,a few weeks later, still hasn't come unstuck at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 11:08 PM BST

Candy Floss Machine + 1 free candy floss sugar & Serving Straws
Candy Floss Machine + 1 free candy floss sugar & Serving Straws

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe we actually bought this, but ..., 28 Dec 2013
I will say it's an excellent little machine.
It fits together easily and heats up really quickly. We had worked out a good technique for collecting the candy floss by our second go and it actually gave a good sized amount (the first time we only got a tiny bit of it on the stick and we ended up with hard sugar all around the bowl). Any sugar that becomes stuck as hard crystals around the edge was easy to just pick off (it tastes just like boiled sweet, and we didn't reuse it).
Afterwards, the metal part that you place the sugar in was easy to clean by wiping with a damp cloth and then we just put all the dishwasher safe bits in the dishwasher.
We got rid of the sugar that came with it because the red colour used in it has lots of warnings attached and we wanted to be safe. We did find a flavoured candy floss sugar with no colour in it (Clasikool white Strawberry flavour candy floss sugar, in Amazon Kitchen & Home) and it works really well. I've not tried this with normal granulated sugar yet.

x50 Traditional Candy Floss Sticks 280mm X 3.5mm X 3.5mm Fairground by Loypack
x50 Traditional Candy Floss Sticks 280mm X 3.5mm X 3.5mm Fairground by Loypack
Offered by Classikool® Baking, Beauty & Beyond

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Candy Floss, 28 Dec 2013
These sticks have slightly rounded edges and no signs of any splinters (so far). They do their job perfectly. When making candy floss just for our daughter, we have actually washed up the stick afterwards (by hand) and it worked well the second time too.

Manhattan Toy Wobble-A-Round Beads (Green)
Manhattan Toy Wobble-A-Round Beads (Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Babies First Christmas., 28 Dec 2013
This was part of a present for my twin niece & nephew's first Christmas. They are 7 months old. As soon as the paper was torn off, they were grabbing for the toy and having fun with the beads. The base is curved and so rocks from side to side when on the floor (like Weebles - remember them?). The beads are small enough that the babies can practice their fine motor skills in getting hold of the beads and pushing them over the loops - and they make a very satisfying sound too when they fall from the top of a loop. This product is well made and the colours are lovely without being too garish. A good toy for those who don't want to give/have plastic toys. Even my 6 year old daughter wanted to play with it!

Battery--World Compact Lightweight Triple Defender Layer Black & Purple Combo Cover / Case / Shell for Apple iPhone 5, Included Screen Protector
Offered by YoCosmo Gadgets Zone(15-25 days delivery from HongKong)

5.0 out of 5 stars A tough little beast - but stylish too., 23 Aug 2013
This fits the Iphone 5 perfectly. It comes with a cloth and screen protectors (for both front and back of the phone). The screen protectors fit well and have the holes in the right places. I've not noticed any changes with the camera or flash since I've put them on.

The black is hard plastic with a velvet, rubbery feel to it. That part of it does show some evidence of handling, especially when my hands got hot, but it was easy to clean back to looking like new with a slightly damp cloth. The coloured part is soft and spongy rubber. I bought the black and purple version, which if I am to be totally honest is more a pinky violet than the colour shown in the photo.

It all snaps together and there are rubber button covers, so that the only parts uncovered are the ports at the bottom and the ringer switch at the side. I was worried that the rubber would make the buttons unresponsive or less responsive, but I've been pleasantly surprised with everything working perfectly and I've just stopped noticing that the button covers are there.

I'll admit I was worried when choosing the right cover for this expensive piece of kit (I have a young daughter who loves to play on my phone), especially as the price was so cheap, but this cover is a tough little beast. Okay, the phone & cover, together now weigh in at 161g but I now feel like it won't slip out of my hands or get lost/scratched in my handbag. Just for full disclosure - I haven't dropped my phone (yet) so I cannot say how well this cover would protect it, but as the surrounding edges of the cover are at least a couple of mm higher than the screen, and the rubber is very spongy (bouncy?), I have faith that it will do the job.

Wonder Waterway Decor Light
Wonder Waterway Decor Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present for a first Birthday, 12 Aug 2013
This was bought for my niece's first Birthday. It was a hit, straight out of the packet!
The different sections come apart and can fit together in any combination. They look well made (as far as plastic can) and each section does something different.

I cannot say how it has actually worked in the bath as I've not had that feedback yet, but I will say that my five year old wanted one for her bath-time!

Aveeno Active Naturals Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream 7.3 oz (Cover Design of Tube May Vary)
Offered by united care

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly amazing cream, 2 July 2013
My daughter suffers from very itchy skin when she's hot and was scratching herself raw. We were at our wits end but was recommended this cream. Well it worked within a few minutes and gave total relief from the condition. It gave her the break from scratching that she needed so that her skin could heal. Weeks of stress and pain were over in just a few days. We already knew that oatmeal baths helped our little girl, which is why we chose this cream. It has no strong perfumed smell, just a natural oat smell. It is easy to apply too. I found that it is also good for my hands after a day of house-working!

Kitchen Craft 27 cm Cast Iron Black Steel Baking Stone
Kitchen Craft 27 cm Cast Iron Black Steel Baking Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, how did I do without this before I had it?, 2 July 2013
I bought this to make crumpets on (totally recommended just for that!), but I now use it for lots more.

I use it for baking home-made bread. It's perfect for home-made pizza (I'm never buying another pizza again!) and drop scones are a breeze. I'm even going to take it camping and use it over a fire-pit.

Yes, it took a while to prepare & season it (be prepared for the plastic-y smell and don't skimp on any of the stages), but it was worth it. I wouldn't be without it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3