Profile for P. White > Reviews

Content by P. White

P. White (Lancashire, UK)

Philips SHL5605BL/10 CitiScape Downtown Headphones with Music Seal/Memory Foam Cushions - Blue Denim
Offered by West Audio UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The best headphones I've owned, 8 Nov 2014
The best headphones I've owned, and they cut out most of the ambient sound but let enough in to stop you getting run over.

The best sound I've had from a reasonably priced headset, with perfectly matched speakers.

Add to that I can make calls using the built in microphone with perfect quality at both ends.

10/10

PowerTraveller SolarMonkey Portable Charger
PowerTraveller SolarMonkey Portable Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked ok in Afghanistan, 8 Nov 2014
Worked ok in Afghanistan but not very well in Burnley, maybe it needs more sun?

Ring Automotive RSC512 Smart Battery Charger 12 V 2/4/8/12 A
Ring Automotive RSC512 Smart Battery Charger 12 V 2/4/8/12 A
Offered by Tantronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent charger, but not a maintainer..., 8 Nov 2014
Excellent charger but no good as a maintainer, I now only use mine to periodically recharge my Jeep battery which stands idle all summer ready for winter. What I can't do is leave it on as after a day it comes up F05 and stops charging until you disconnect it from the mains power "and" the battery. This apparently means it failed to reach 14.4v after 24 hours, this was a brand new battery at the same time as I purchased the charger.
I originally bought this to use on my boat, but I get the same fault on the engine battery and the deep cycle auxiliary battery, one is a Bosch and the other a Varta so not cheap, neither have ever been flat and work perfectly otherwise, I have since bought a cheap Halfords charger to leave on the boat as it's not "smart" enough to be fussy about battery voltages.
I have not charged the Jeep for a while as we have been using it to move things around the boat yard, just for this review I put the charger on and after 24 hours lo and behold F05
Comment Comment | Permalink

Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser
Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely morning cuppa, 16 Jun 2012
I used to have a Goblin Teasmade many years ago and never knew there was a modern version until I saw this.
I looked at a few and liked the look and the price of this one, my son bought it me for christmas, and its been in constant use ever since. If anything happened to it I'd have to have another straight away, I love my morning cuppa.

If I could I'd change the alarm tone but apart from that, I can't fault it.

Mediterranean France and Corsica
Mediterranean France and Corsica
by Rod Heikell

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must for the South of France and Corsica!, 16 Dec 2009
I bought this book for my trip back from Greece and it has so much information in it about all the little ports along the southern coast of France and all of Corsica.
It has price guides for the marinas and histories of the towns and harbours as well as when to and not to go into each harbour. This is the first time I have used one of these in it's new format, the boat I bought had old ones on board so I never bothered getting new ones. The sequence of following the pages along the coast did not readily become "natural" maybe that was just me but don't let that put you off. I'm going to replace the older ones on our boat now, so much has changed in the last couple of years, so many new little harbours are available and this book lists almost all of them and it's cheaper and more informative than buying all the charts.

Through the French Canals
Through the French Canals
by Preben Dahlstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars Through the French Canals, 16 Dec 2009
Very interesting reading, informative, a good planning guide, it's not much use as a tool once you are on the water but it does make interesting reading on your way through the canals.

If you're planning to take a boat onto the French canals as we did, I'd recommend this as one of the books to take, you can bore the crew to death with little tit bits of information.

My advice is to use this book to plan your route and order the Navicarte map books for the canals you then decide to use, they have very detailed maps of all the canals, locks and moorings along the length of canal you're on. The numbers on the canals in this book will match the Navicarte book numbers 1-29, 19 altogether, (don't ask me). Sadly not many of them are available on Amazon UK, they are French with English and German translations of each entry but in less detail. Try searching for Navicarte on Amazon.fr

Carte marine : Navicarte : La Bourgogne Ouest

Champagne-Ardenne : Voies navigables
Champagne-Ardenne : Voies navigables
by Michel Sandrin
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Navicarte - maps of the french waterways., 16 Dec 2009
If you have never taken a boat on the french waterways before, forget anything else you've seen, don't waste money on anything but the Navicarte series.
Make sure it's up to date though.
These are very detailed maps showing a length of the canal on one side with a list of navigation tips and facilities available on the other. Bear in mind that these are written in the summer giving facilities that are available at that time. We came up from the Med out of season, december actually and almost all the canal side services were closed so after a while we realised that where it shows a picture of a fuel can you can rely on the fact that it's a roadside petrol station a short walk from the canal and it's going to be open. Usualy these stations are not in sight of the canal or may be in town but the locals will soon point you in the right direction.
I spent a tidy sum on books before setting off and none were any good, just a general overview at best, I had the Navicarte books lent to me by a boater who took pity on me and made me promise to post them back, there aren't many people who will do that for you. I'm now on the look out for the full set before returning in the new year to finish my journey.
10 out of 10