Profile for suzannewebber > Reviews

Gastronaut
by Stefan Gates
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Nov 2005
This review is from: Gastronaut (Hardcover)
I never thought I'd say this about a food book, but this is funny, twisted, dark, intelligent and clever. It's such a relief from all the formulaic, squeaky-clean cookbooks by celebrity chefs. It's about the dark side of food: flatulence, aphrodisiacs, cannibalism recipes, what Margarine is realy made of, Bachanalian orgies and the Last Supper. He even proves that you CAN teach grandmothers to suck eggs! Half the book seems to be recipes, but they are all little adventures in their own rite - he tries cooking with gold, aftershave (it doesn't work), and there's a bum sandwich that you have to sit on for an hour. There's one for cooking a whole pig underground whcih one day I swear I'm going to try.
What's brilliant is how funny it is. The chapter titles themselves made me laugh out loud, and I was really surprised to read a food book written in a way that makes me laugh and flatters my intelligence.
On the cover it says: 'Brilliant. Deranged, but brilliant.' This wouldn't be so eyecatching if it didn;t come from Heston Blumenthal, who I thought was quite deranged already. I loved this book. Enlightening and funny. I really recommend it.