Profile for Mark M > Reviews

Mark M (London)

Desigual Unisex Adult Bols Greca Handbag Fresa 30X51573001U
Desigual Unisex Adult Bols Greca Handbag Fresa 30X51573001U

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong colour bag was delivered!, 27 Aug 2013
Like another reviewer, my order of the brown/orange version of the bag was not adhered to by the supplier. They sent the brown/pinkish one which I neither wanted nor ordered! If they did not have the one I ordered, they should not have sent a substitute. It is unethical and I would not have purchased it had I knew this would happen. I bought as a gift for someone else and it goes without saying that the selected colour is an important factor. Very disappointed indeed. Amazon suppliers don't usually pull cheap stunts like that. Poor show!

The Bible: The Biography
The Bible: The Biography
by Karen Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars A very worthwhile read!, 1 Oct 2012
Such a remarkable read. Armstrong has managed to achieve the impossible, by her outstanding capability to put religion in context. No easy feat - she succeeds where others stumble and fall short. A true giant of academic research combined with an insight born of personal experience and enthusiasm for her subject. Streets ahead of the rest in her field, I have found this book explains and clarifies the true nature and origins of the writings of the Old and New Testaments that make the Bibles. Armstrong writes in a style that informs yet which is non-polemic, never arguing one way or the other for a particular faith stance. She does not insult one's sense of intelligence, nor does she dumb anything down. I am bit of a spiritual searcher and I am very grateful that Karen Armstrong is here to help me understand what is a very layered and historically obscured subject, i.e. the Bible.I will certainly aim to read more of her books on Christianity and on other religions. If only Christians and Muslims read her books on the respective religions, then the world would surely be a more peaceful and enlightened place. They challenge belief systems with knowledge and so are not for the fainthearted who have a fear of truth.

Mark M

The Penguin History of Greece
The Penguin History of Greece
by A.R. Burn

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative account of Classical Greece, 9 May 2009
This book is gem. It has a wealth of information crammed into a small paperback. At times it seemed like almost too much information to process. It is a book I go back to and reread parts of it. Well researched and the author does not waste his words. I particularly liked reading about the accounts of Socrates and Plato and some inspiring quotes from others such as Xenophanes. For those more interested in military and political history there is no shortage of that.

All Creatures Great and Small: "If Only They Could Talk" and "It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet"
by James Herriot

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start!, 12 July 2005
This is a good place to start if you are yet to read a book by this author. I first read it when I was a teenager and three decades later I am still enjoying Herriot's books from time to time. He takes the reader into a place and a life that strikes me as one I would love to be a part of. He offers the reader inciteful tales of humour, hardship, humanity and wisdom in the rich seasonal landscape of rural North Yorkshire. I cannot think of a negative word to say about this author. He is a rare gem who never disappoints. James Herriot has left a legacy that will continue to bring joy and peace to those who have the good fortune to pick up his books. Although not intended or regarded as works of high literature his books rest happily on my shelf alongside other lofty tombs! Many thanks Mr Herriot.

All The Pretty Horses [DVD] [2001]
All The Pretty Horses [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 28 Feb 2005
I was completely absorbed in this film when I first saw it. Damon's sensitivity to his character is finely understated in this haunting human tale of adventure and romance. It is a film in which the silences are as equally important as the dialogue and we are led not on a fast paced romp but an intelligent smoothly paced drama about two men who ride South of the Border, to find suitable cowboy employment. Their adventure leads to unexpected events. The passionate liaison of Cruz and Damon is a joyful reminder of what romantic love should feel like. I found the final 10 minutes of this film unrushed and poignant, affirming the value of friendship and recognising a side of humanity, noble in its resilience of life's trials and capable of a dignified and unsophisticated goodness. I get the impression that Thornton is trying to produce a work with a sense of integrity to the time and place, and where the central characters, refreshingly, are not stereotypical but individuals with their own consciences and vulnerabilities. On the whole it is a superbly stark and brooding adaptation to screen of Cormac McCarthy's novel.