Profile for Smudge > Reviews

Content by Smudge

Smudge (Shropshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Anker® T320 Ultrathin (4mm) Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iOS (iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 2 / 3 / 4), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS with Built-in lithium battery / Aluminum Body
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, excellent price!, 4 Feb 2014
I'm extremely pleased with this keyboard/case. Great value for money. You have to remember that the back casing of your iPad isn't protected if you use this case, but as long as you're happy with that fact you should find this an elegant way of protecting your iPad. I'm using it with an iPad Air and the fit is perfect.

I haven't experienced any problems syncing the keyboard via Bluetooth. The keyboard itself is comfortable to type on, I've had no issues with it. Built in magnets hold the iPad securely whilst you type and the iPad can be attached in either orientation.

All in all, a fantastic product at a very reasonable price.

Rockin the Shell [VINYL]
Rockin the Shell [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Available all over the internet, for free..., 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Rockin the Shell [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a bootleg, taken from a radio broadcast from 1994. Because it's a broadcast the quality of the recording is very good, but this isn't an official release and the band will see no money from it whatsoever.

Depending upon your opinion about bootlegs, you may or may not want to pick this recording up off the internet for nothing. It's the 'Grant Park' recording and is very easy to track down, if you make a little effort.

TG Cases® New Apple iPad Air, iPad 5 (Released November 2013) Premium Folio PU Leather Case / Cover / Wallet and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet For Standby Sleep / Wake Feature + 1 Included Screen Protector and Stylus Pen for New Apple iPad Air 5th Generation - Life-Time Warranty - (Available in Multiple Colors) (Black)
Offered by Akis Enterprises

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivery time appalling... Case, not bad!, 23 Nov 2013
I waited for the best part of three weeks to receive this case. In the end I had to go to the ridiculous length of threatening legal action (over a case costing 1p!) to get them to dispatch it. My emails were auto responded to with the same email every time, until the word 'solicitor' was mentioned - suddenly, I received a bespoke reply! Odd, that!

The case itself cannot be complained about for 1p! It's reasonable enough and does a pretty decent job of protecting my iPad Air. I note the price has now increased (no surprise there) and compared to Apple asking a fortune for their one and only iPad Air case this is still a good alternative for the new price. It remains to be seen how long the case lasts of course, but it seems quite sturdy.

The magnetic 'wake/sleep' function works perfectly well.

UPDATE! The company have now emailed me, attempting to bribe me to remove my poor seller feedback! They are claiming they cannot dispatch my case until I remove my negative feedback. This is not worrying me overly as I'm holding the said item as I type. On balance my advice would have to be to avoid this company.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 9:52 AM GMT

Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - White
Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money!, 8 Aug 2013
Compared to Apple's SuperDrive this is a very good value product indeed.

No driver software was needed to have it working instantly with a late 2010 MacBook Air. So far I have yet to burn a cd or DVD but anticipate no problems as it has played back various media from a number of sources with no issues.

Build quality is flimsy, that's undeniable, but at the price it's being offered at being careful when inserting/ejecting discs is a small consideration. Very light and portable. Reasonably quiet, but a long way from being silent!

USB lead is extremely short, at around 30cm, but that hasn't been a problem for me. Can't see why you wouldn't want to place the drive near the computer you were using it with.

Overall, assuming it burns as well as it plays, I'm extremely happy with it so far.

UPDATE: I have finally got around to burning a DVD with this drive - no problems whatsoever!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An expensive bootleg!, 4 Feb 2013
All of the 'alternative' or 'alternate' Beatles albums for sale here are bootlegs - that is, unofficial. They are generally actually quite, or indeed very, good quality in terms of the audio on them but are available FOR FREE all over the internet if you can be bothered to look properly.

The five stars awarded refer to the music, not the over priced products, naturally!

Angry Birds Knock on Wood Board Game
Angry Birds Knock on Wood Board Game
Offered by The Entertainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for younger fans!, 30 Jan 2013
I bought this game as a present for a four year old and he loved it. Bigger, flashier, more expensive presents sat idle as he played Angry Birds repeatedly throughout the day he received the game. Its appeal probably won't last, but the hands on nature of the game (and familiar branding) make it fine for him at four.

You actually get relatively little in the box - some thin bricks, a few birds and pigs and a wildly inaccurate catapult! However, it's the branding that matters and that of course is what you're really paying for. The injection moulded plastic that tumbles out of the box when you open it probably cost about as much to make as the box.

This is a great present for a small child who likes to interact with things. As the purchasing adult however, you have to get past the fact that you are being hugely overcharged for some bits of plastic. You have to accept that the look on the recipient's face when they receive it is really what you're paying for!

Kitchen Craft 24 cm Master Class Professional Heavy Duty
Kitchen Craft 24 cm Master Class Professional Heavy Duty

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 14 Jan 2013
I have so far purchased the 20, 24 and 28cm frying pans from this range. They are reassuringly heavy and clearly well made. The non stick surface works extremely well. As other reviewers have mentioned, use a towel when gripping the handles of these pans as they will, naturally, get hot. I leave a towel constantly draped over the handle of any of these pans whenever I use them so I don't inadvertently burn myself.

A fantastic range, and considering the quality of these pans, very, very well priced.

Grace/Wastelands-New French Version
Grace/Wastelands-New French Version

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It For The DVD..., 3 Feb 2012
Great album of course, but what sets the French edition apart from the UK edition is the inclusion of a live DVD (filmed, unsurprisingly, in France!) Pete's on form during the gig, which is a festival show. You don't get a huge amount of songs (about seven) nor are they all taken from Grace/Wastelands either, but it's still good fun... The list price for this package seems fairly high on Amazon, but you can usually pick it up from a third party seller (or secondhand) for £4 -10, which is a bargain to be honest.

Twisting My Melon: The Autobiography
Twisting My Melon: The Autobiography
by Shaun Ryder

4.0 out of 5 stars Ryd(er) On, Ryd(er) On!, 3 Feb 2012
This is an interesting read, it has to be said. Most of the stories told in it are quite famous already, but sometimes Ryder does explode a myth or two (the infamous bird poisoning incident, for example!) As other reviewers have noted, Ryder is quite disarmingly honest throughout the book and asks for little or no sympathy. This is quite refreshing - other autobiographies I've read (naming no names) have sometimes been seen as an excuse to whinge and whine it's seemed to me. Ryder arguably has plenty to whine about (most of it (all of it?!) self induced) but he resists the urge and ultimately the book is all the more readable for it.

Ryder's early years are covered in some detail - presumably as his head was clearer then so he can remember more about that period! - but sometimes, when dealing with the Happy Mondays and Black Grape eras, it felt like there was more to be said. Some sections of the book felt rushed. I was hoping to hear more about the Happy Mondays for example than I'd read anywhere else, as it was Ryder's own book... But I didn't feel like I did really. A bit of a shame. Even if his memories are hazy how hard would it been to find others that remember more varied facts and incidents and broaden out the book?

I presume the book was ghostwritten or Ryder had a very busy editor working with him - if not, his grammar, spelling and punctuation have improved an awful lot since his apparently failed school days! To be fair though, presuming it is ghostwritten, it's not ghostwritten in that sickly, overbearing style I've endured so many times before that ghostwriters sometimes seem to think they need to adopt.

All in all a great read if you're a Ryder fan. Possibly a pretty good read if you're not as it's sensational, car crash stuff that many of us like so much, if we're honest. I picked this up as a Kindle book for under £4 and at that price I can't grumble.

The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones
The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones
by Anthony Bourdain

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Bits? I Didn't Find Any!, 5 Oct 2011
I moved house recently and whilst unpacking a box of books I came across this paperback, which I'd purchased some time ago and then packed away so I could move. I was both annoyed I'd forgotten about it and pleased I'd found it in equal measure. I've yet to read anything by Bourdain I didn't enjoy. 'The Nasty Bits' turned out to be no different...

Made up of pieces of journalism and a fictional modern take on a Christmas 'miracle', this collection shows off Bourdain's talents as a food and travel writer to the full. It's no 'Kitchen 'Confidential' but where does it say it's meant to be? Don't buy it if you want another slice of Bourdain's life in chronological order - you'll be disappointed. For goodness sake do buy it if you enjoy reading impassioned, informed writing about food and those people who routinely serve it up to us. That's what it's going to give you, not an update to 'KC'.

I got to what I thought was the end of the book only to find an interesting extra section lurking at the back: Bourdain's reflections upon most of the articles in the book, given the benefit of hindsight. He's disarmingly honest when looking back. A nice insight into his reflections I thought, and not something you see often in a book of this kind.

All in all, a superb read if you've got any interest in food, travel, the food industry or Bourdain himself. Not much less of a superb read even if you haven't, to be honest. As Bourdain himself might say, "Just freakin' buy it!"

Page: 1 | 2