Profile for professorkeitch@aol.com > Reviews

The Thirteenth Floor [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Bierko
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 15 Feb. 2002
This review is from: The Thirteenth Floor [DVD] (DVD)
It's slow to start (infact the first 45 mins is a bit of a drag), but then a twist in the story hits you like a sledge hammer. Other parts of the story then start to fall in to place. It does not have the depth of explanation as the matrix which I think the story concept was taken from, but nevertheless an enjoyable film. It is well directed with class and has some clever cuts.
I will need to watch it again to appreciate it. Underated and enjoyable.

Nausea (Penguin Modern Classics)
Nausea (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Jean-Paul Sartre

2.0 out of 5 stars Bathos, dressed up as a magnum opus?, 6 Jan. 2002
As a student of existentialism I had never read any of Satres works, however like most people I was familiar with his mythical like staus within the movement.
I found this book to be a real grind, in fact I had to force myself to read it. It lacks the class and sophistication of Kafka or Camus. It is frankly boring, although in patches there are glimpses of imagination in tackling the themes of life's futility, randomness and meaningless.
The whole feel of this novel is that of isolation, abandonment and ultimately you feel sorry for Roquentin, who personifies lonliness, verging upon the suicidal.
I have to disagree with some of the other reviewers, the dialogue is insipid, prosaic and not particularly thought provoking. Indeed some of the scenes when Roquentin describes his thoughts in a typical 'stream of consciousness' manner remind me of a time when I was unemployed and analysed everything, searching for reason and meaning in my life.
If you reads this book you will recognise some of the feelings of lonliness and isolation that at times we all succumb to.
I'm not going to let myself fall in to the trap of believing that I have somehow missed the point of this book, or that I lack the intellect to understand it. It's like Opera, it's a matter of temperament and taste. No all opera's are good, some are sublime (Carmen) others facile and langiud (Cossi Fan Tutti). This book falls in to the latter category. Read it for yourself and be truthfull with what you find. Think to yourself "If this was not by Satre would I feel differently about the book"? QED
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2015 4:50 PM BST

GRAMMAR OF THE FILM LANGUAGE
GRAMMAR OF THE FILM LANGUAGE
by Daniel Arijon

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force....An amateur directors Elyssium., 2 Dec. 2001
This book is an extremely comprehensive, yet straight forward piece of work. As a teacher in Further education my experience tells me that no one book can be definitive in facilitating learning, however, to use a well work phrase "if you only ever buy one book on directing...buy this publication"!
I have bought a number of books on the art of film making, most are jumbled and incomplete in their advice. Mr Arijon's book is superb, in most areas he profers the reader with a myriad of filming techniques accompanied with good clear diagrams.
This is the only book I have read that offers clear intricate diagrams that actually help you stage shots, both simple and difficult.
The advice is clear and useful. My advice for the amateur and seasoned filmaker is to have a copy of this book on your shelf along with "setting up your shots" by Jeremy Vinyard. This demonstrates camera moves which are also very important and useful to underrstanding the art of directing and editing.I am not an easy person to please. So get yourself a copy of this book and Go make a film!

Class in Britain
Class in Britain
by David Cannadine

5.0 out of 5 stars A little muddled but worthy of a read, 28 May 2001
This review is from: Class in Britain (Paperback)
David cannadine has obviously researched this subject in minute detail adopting a looking glass aproach to a complex and highly subjective subject matter.
His itroduction is well presented and interesting however as I moved further in to the book, it became a struggle at times to keep focused upon each chapter.
The problem is simple: he has over-researched this subject. The result is a quagmire of references and sojourns in to sub class related fields which only serve to confuse the reader and frustrate the flow of reading.
His sub chapter headings are not clear (in the respect that they did not focus specifically upon any one area). I found myself getting lost.
However, this is a collegic and worth while book to have on your shelf, he covers writers from Marx and Thatcher to Dickens Orwell and Eliot.
If your looking for a book that looks at class in it's historical perspective, this is your first choice. If like myself you want a more focused view upon the fundamentals of class, choose another. A very good book, but it is too jumbled and the chapters are not content specific, at times it reads more like a PHd thesis, quotes infinitim.Professor Keitch LL.D
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2012 8:15 PM GMT