Profile for Pedro Pinto de Sousa > Reviews

Content by Pedro Pinto de...

Pedro Pinto de Sousa

Timex T5K639 Marathon GPS Watch - Black/Blue
Timex T5K639 Marathon GPS Watch - Black/Blue
Offered by RunBike Store
Price: 75.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy - just don't expect $300 features (which you're not paying for), 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Misc.)
I've been a runner for a few years but only really bumped up my training last year to complete my first marathon. I generally average about 30 to 40 kms per week year-round, used to own a HRM a few years back but learnt to exercise by feel and dropped it, and I had actually skipped a GPS watch until very recently.
I'd become somewhat tired of checking running distances on unfamiliar terrains via Google Maps so I entered the market for cheap reliable GPS watches.

The Timex Marathon GPS came in at little over 60 Euros. It was cheap, but it is a reliable, no-frills watch.

Reporting on daily use: yes, the watch will take a couple of minutes to pick up a GPS signal (does it really matter whether it's 30 seconds or 2 minutes?) but once it does it sticks to it. It may not track instantaneous pace, and rather lag it a few seconds, but I'd say this is more than enough for the vast majority of runners. I should point out that it's nearly always absolutely reliable in terms of distance and pace, but for some reason it will on occasion churn out sub 2min30 kilometres (!), i.e. overestimate the distance covered, and it's not related to tall building proximity. I wish those were accurate but my surname is not Bekele nor Farah ! This happened once in about 20 workouts.

It is apparently water resistant as well, I recently took it on an Ironman 70.3 event and it handled the open water (river swim) leg with ease even though it may not come at the brand's recommendation (well maybe I was bold or simply foolish!! I don't use a track so I don't miss the track repeat workout features.

In all it does what it says on the tin, battery life is about 8 hours and it recharges fully in less than 1h30m. If you fit the amateur athlete profile I described I'm sure you'll be happy with the buy. You may however be disappointed (I was) at the lack of uploading options - this is the main thing setting it apart from say the Forerunner 10 and the web uploading features can be of interest as the Timex Maraton fails to show you elevation charts etc..

Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge
Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge
by Joe Friel
Price: 14.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, informative, wide breadth of content, 4 May 2013
I bought this booking looking for advice on how to improve overall physical / aerobic fitness in 3 of the sports I most enjoy - swim, bike and run. Haven't actually tried competing in a triathlon before, just do a few road running races. Contrary to pure running books out there who are geared to athletics folks doing a lot of mileage, this book is rich in advice that encompasses not only the 3 triathlon disciplines, but also technical skills - so crucial not only to improve results but also to avoid injury - nutrition advice and mental shape / putting it all together in the context of the typical amateur athlete's life. It offers relatively little in the way of detailed plans but rather insights into how to improve for each fitness level (based on swim, bike and run tests which you can easily complete on your own). So I recommend it not only to the triathlon enthusiast but to those aerobic sport fans who are looking for a book on how to improve on any of the 3 disciplines.