Profile for Vincent Robert Stewart > Reviews

Content by Vincent Robert...

Vincent Robert Stewart

The Good Soldier Švejk and his Fortunes in the World War
The Good Soldier Švejk and his Fortunes in the World War
by Jaroslav Hašek
Price: Ł7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Svjk, his friends and fortunes., 13 Jan 2013
My brother lent me a copy of this book when I was about twenty, saying; "Its one of the funniest books he had ever read, and on a serious note it gave a window into Slav culture." In the years since then he had lent his copy out many times until his final borrower failed to return the book, so on his eightieth birthday I bought him a replacement. Before he died about a year later he was able to reread Svjk and he remarked that he was pleased to find that the publishers had had the courage to restore the obscene bits which had been absent from the 1950s version. Since then I've bought my own copy to read at leisure and to remember how my brother and I used to quote to each other stories about how Svjk cocked a snook at unthinking authority.

Briers' The Gripper Large Leather Glove
Briers' The Gripper Large Leather Glove

5.0 out of 5 stars How I came upon the ideal driving glove., 13 Jan 2013
I recently had a surgical operation on my right hand and I chose the Briers Leather Glove to protect the hand whilst carrying out work in the Garden. When the product arrived I was immediatly impressed by the soft leather material from which it was made and its comfortable fit, which was enhanced by the adjustable band. These gloves were just too good to be wrecked in the garden, but, at that stage, my right hane needed protection whilst driving so they became my driving gloves which I used on a trip from pembrokeshire to North Wales. As someone who had never worn gloves whilst driving I found the improvement in grip and the absence of any discomfort in the hand very reassuring.