Profile for C. Pennington > Reviews

Content by C. Pennington

C. Pennington "bettymolly" (UK)

Za'atar Spice Blend Standard Jar 50g Zatar , Zaatar
Za'atar Spice Blend Standard Jar 50g Zatar , Zaatar
Offered by Steenbergs
Price: 2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 17 Feb 2013
Really quick and very tastey. Good product. Lots of uses in recipes from the cook book it is mentioned in and other dishes too.

Family
Family
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Family (Paperback)
I bought this as a gift for a friend having read it years ago. A very touching and thought provoking story

Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin - Color: Brunette
Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin - Color: Brunette

3.0 out of 5 stars Got 3 small ones instead of 2 big ones, 17 Feb 2013
Took a while to come but was fine when it did arrive. I got 3 small ones instead of the 2 large ones shown but it was ok
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 8:05 PM GMT

Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish
Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish
by Diana Henry
Price: 21.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring, 31 Dec 2012
What fun this book is. I have made several things which now line my cupboards waiting away until matured. The recipes are easy to follow. Highly recommended.

The Thirteenth Tale
The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars tremendous, 29 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Thirteenth Tale (Hardcover)
I always wish I could go back and read all my favorite books again as if for the first time. With the Thirteenth Tale I felt as if I was. This book has a plot as exciting as reading the famous five was when i was a child, as gothic as wuthering heights and jane Eyre, it conjours up scenes like Rebecca etc etc. But this book is not just a copy of any of those, it is wonderful in its own right too. I finished reading Thirteenth Tale 3 days ago and it is with me still, the characters are like ghosts around me, just as diane Setterfield describes in the book. I will have to just go and read it again.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fun, 19 Sep 2005
I once overheard someone in the cinema watching a james bond film say ' god...AS IF!!!!'. what did he expect at a bond film. the same goes for some of the reviewers here. this book is fun, yes it is long and yes it is unrealistic but it is like a grown ups fairy story, full of myth and adventure and thoroughly exciting. The pictures it conjures up are fascinating, let your imaginination run riot. It was a book that was a pleasure to read. Why should books be short and punchy, why can't they slowly meander around a story. if you don't like the story give up on it but personally this i thought this book was amusing and fun. i looked forward to settling down with it. this is not a childrens book and if you pick it up expecting a harry potter story forget it, it is much better than harry potter.
Don't read too deep just indulge. this is comfort food and choclate pudding, not a full gourmet meal with 5 fruit and veg.

The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
by John Harwood
Price: 8.09

2.0 out of 5 stars poor ending, 5 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Ghost Writer (Paperback)
This book started out well, in many respects it contains many short stories but sadly the conclusion of the book completely let it down. It seemed badly thoughtout and hurried. I was glad to move on to something else whereas a good book always hangs around in my mind for a day or two

The Crimson Petal And The White
The Crimson Petal And The White
by Michel Faber
Price: 7.16

5.0 out of 5 stars it has my vote, 29 Oct 2003
I am amazed that this book has received such damning reviews. What I love about reading is the way a good book almost becomes a parallel universe which you can muse on during boring meetings, train journeys etc. The settings and characters in this book have acheived that for me. It is rare that a male writer can understand a women well enough to make me believe in them but Michel Faber has acheived this in Agnes and Sugar. I felt both characters were fantastically developed and i loved and loathed both of them in equal quantities. The storyline was gripping and i really found anything other than reading this book a major inconveiance. The book gave me more insight into life for Victorian women than Dickens and Bronte.