Profile for robotfish > Reviews

Content by robotfish
Top Reviewer Ranking: 762

robotfish "robotfish" (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Adventures in Raspberry Pi
Adventures in Raspberry Pi
by Carrie Anne Philbin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a wholly comprehensive view of the potential of raspberry pi., 19 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this book hoping to be inspired to get a Raspberry Pi and introduce my kids to the joys (!) of computing. I'm undecided now.

The majority of the beginning of this book is directed at programming with Scratch, Turtle Graphics and Python - the latter needing far more more explanation than is found within this book. And whilst I am sure they would enjoy the section on Minecraft, more excuses to explore gaming is not the driving force for me.

The last three chapters covering music and computing are far more interesting. I just wish the rest of the book was. (Still not sure whether to get a Pi though. I guess I haven't yet grasped its unique selling point over any other device that can run Linux.)

Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre
Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars Good functional blender, 19 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simple, but powerful blender.

Good points: nice amount of speed variation, pulsing (which helps with stubborn lumps when juicing), a very lightweight but voluminous jug and stable non-slip base. Add to that the sharp 5-blade rotary action which is really effective for juicing and blending.

Not so good: it does look a bit plastic, because thats what it is!

All in all it is a useful kitchen appliance that does one thing, and does it very well. But its no looker.

Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, if inherently flawed., 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From my wife: "I used an epilator once, when I was 20 odd and not for 30 years since.
There was a reason for this.
So when, 30 years on, my other half asked me if I'd like one, I was a bit dubious. But maybe, I thought, technology has moved on and the experience won't be quite so painful...
Well, the news is that it actually wasn't. Maybe it was was because I've had a few waxings in the intervening years; maybe because being able to do it in a warm bath is infinitely more soothing, or maybe just because I've had babies now and my pain barriers have moved along a bit .. who knows? But it was ..OK.
So, the discomfort - and there's no getting round it, it *ain't* comfortable - is quite bearable. But quick, it isn't. Each half leg took, I swear, about 5 minutes. Armpits were a little tricky and thanks to long sightedness, involved balancing a mirror on the edge of bath. Upper lip was actually very easy, thanks to the special adaptor. There's a hair trimmer and electric razor too attachment too - good if you're very hairy or in a hurry.
Four days on, and I'm appreciating the lack of regrowth, and so far no nasty ingrown bumps. I still think an epilator is kind of a flawed device, but this is probably as good as it will ever get."

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power with Flexball Technology Men's Razor with 3 Razor Blades, Starter Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so sceptical about this. I've long held slightly cynical views that razors will eventually end up with 20 blades as the main manufacturers try to outdo each other. But instead we've diverted onto balls. Flexballs! Having never put anything with more than three blades anywhere near my face I admit I approached this with some trepidation.

The first time I used it I was immediately struck by the secureness of the shave. Those blades really hug & tug the hairs before cutting. I was impressed. The single blade on the back is excellent for sideburns etc. I was so taken by it I forgot to (a) notice how the flexball was doing and (b) turn on the power pro glide thing.

OK, second go: the ball is OK. It looks like it might be a weak point in the design eventually in that it looks like its attached with a fairly fragile connector. The power thing is great - the shave is even closer and ever so slightly warmer.

I didn't think this would beat my trusty Mach 3, but I was wrong. This is a really nice shaving experience.

Wool Overs Pure Wool Men's Crew Neck Fisherman Jumper
Wool Overs Pure Wool Men's Crew Neck Fisherman Jumper
Offered by Wool Overs Ltd
Price: £18.00 - £40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good value., 25 Feb. 2015
I purchased two of these, a charcoal one and a navy one. My first impressions are that they are great. The fit is excellent (I am a 40-41 inch chest and ordered a medium) with a little bit of growing room. There is a faint trace of the wool itchiness but its not too bad, and totally bearable.

The jumper is heavy, and very warm. I think these are a bargain, and look great too (esp the charcoal).

Delivery time was two days.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 6 Litre
Crock-Pot Slow Cooker, 6 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for slow cooking, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had an old slow cooker that gave up the ghost before christmas and were keen to find out how this one compares. Well this pot is larger for a start! It would hold enough for a family twice over I should imagine. Our old pot had a ceramic dish, heavy but easy to clean. This one is metallic - which is fine but slightly harder to get clean. Also one of its selling points is the ability to use it on a hob. Well not our hob, as it doesn't heat up on induction hobs.

The things I appreciate with slow cookers are: being able to leave a stew to slowly cook and thicken for hours with no danger of burning, and being able to tenderise whole cuts of meat. Typically you would take 5-7 hours of slow cooking for the best results. You need to be more careful with vegetables though as there is a tendency for them to turn to mush. We tend to add them later, or on top (further away from the direct heat).

This slow cooker is a bit of a space hog, so care is needed in small kitchens (not least due to it getting very hot in operation). I guess we make meals in this once a month - so most of the time we have it stored away.

So why this one over other slow cookers? Well its nice to be able to program your cooking times, but I can't really rate the other major selling point (hob use). If you have a normal electric or gas hob I can't see you being disappointed with this.

Dettol Anti-Bacterial Mould and Mildew Remover 750 ml - Pack of 3
Dettol Anti-Bacterial Mould and Mildew Remover 750 ml - Pack of 3
Offered by deals-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Mildew Removal Expert, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really effective at getting rid of dark mould stains in bathrooms. Obviously this is the room in the house where you get such stains most: in shower cubicles, on silicon around sinks etc. Don't forget to try and treat the cause as well as the effect though...if you can find it.

Whilst I'm sure this would work on other walls around your property I'd always recommend using a damp meter to find the cause of the mould - or check ventilation etc. You really shouldn't get mould and mildew in non-wet rooms.

As others have said, it doesn't have the nicest smell, but it works.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Forward To The BBC Production, 13 Feb. 2015
I loved this book on publication - I read it and (unlike many of the low-star reviewers) I found it both highly entertaining and riveting. It is rather long though so I didn't re-read it until I found out that the BBC were dramatising it.

Even then, the idea of lugging around a 1000 page book was too much, so I got a kindle version.

The story is great, but more than that what this book actually does for me is place me in the heart of the 1800s. As I read this book I firmly believe there was a history of magic in England. I am convinced that The Raven King was an important part of our history. Both the way the story unfolds and the clever use of footnotes helps to underpin this illusion.

It may not be for everyone, but I love it and can't wait to see the BBC adaptation. Eddie Marsan as Mr Norrell! Perfect.

What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, lacks variety., 3 Feb. 2015
As much as I love this band, this is not a 5 star CD. It contains a nice mix of folky songs, but the lack of variety marks it down. Listen again to Hazards of Love, or Picaresque, or Her Majesty and find in those albums the best of The Decemberists.

From this album, check out: The Singer Addresses His Audience, Make You Better and Cavalry Captain.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laser, 3 Feb. 2015
Nice alser with a more solid feeling microswitch than most. Recommended. Not too bright for kids & not dangerous.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20