Profile for Buster > Reviews

Content by Buster

Buster "Panspermian" (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I had heard and read all the promotional stuff about this film and thought the cast list was excellent and despite not liking the genre I took the plunge and watched it. Within 10 minutes I was disappointed.

The script is not very good, the editing and direction seems to be erratic, unless that was what they were going for? Only an American would think that Amy Adams had an English accent and the style of dresses her character wore was just ridiculous. The film at one point seemed like it went on forever and yet the ending was abrupt and a little ridiculous. The characters didn't have anything going for them and we got to know very little about each person so getting to like or dislike someone was difficult. Jennifer Lawrence, despite being a fine actress, was hopelessly miscast in this film and it was more obvious as the film wore on. The storyline(s) which was as confusing as it was confused didn't seem to take a direction until the closing 30 minutes. The Oscar for the best acting should have gone to Christian Bale's characters hair.....so bad, it was good!

Overall this was not a film worth paying money for so wait until Christmas 2015 and it will probably be on free to air TV channels.

The Border - Season 1
The Border - Season 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Series 2 couldn't get any worse!, 8 Sep 2014
If I were Canadian, I would be deeply offended by this show. It quite bluntly states that Canada can't do anything without prior approval by the US and what they do isn't good enough anyway. The acting isn't as good as it could be, the script leaves everything to be desired and the storylines have all been done before on American series. In a word, I would call 'The Border' unimaginative.

Norton Internet Security 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition] [Frustration-Free Packaging]

5.0 out of 5 stars Accept no substitute, 5 Sep 2014
It's Norton...the best on the market.

Resident Evil: Retribution (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Resident Evil: Retribution (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich

1.0 out of 5 stars Made by amateurs, 5 Sep 2014
I have watched all of the "Resident Evil" films and enjoyed them but this was terrible. The acting was not up to standard and the special effects and film sets were poor. The script was amateurish and it felt like there was a whole lot of the film that ended up on the cutting room floor such was the bad editing. One day maybe the "Directors Cut" will improve it but I wouldn't buy this film nor would I pay to rent it.

Deadwood Season 1
Deadwood Season 1

2.0 out of 5 stars A failure on multiple levels, 31 July 2014
I missed both series one and two on TV the first time around and after watching them on Prime, I can honestly say I wish I hadn't.

There is little what you would call 'action' in each episode so it is designed to rest on the storyline and script, which is where it fails on both counts. It's written in a way that obviously bears no resemblance to factual history or the verbal interaction of the day with a pseudo Shakespearean attempt, all that's missing is the 'Thee', 'Thou's' and a few expressions such as 'Merrily'. The series is also littered with foul language which would shame a bar full of drunks. It is so unnecessary and detracts from the stories, which are slow to say the least. The acting is okay in parts but the additional pressure of the actors having to speak in such a strange way shows at the worst possible times, a prime example is in series 2 when Calamity Jane makes an appearance...you should make sure you are watching in subtitles such is the stupidity of how she speaks although you'll have no difficulty in understanding every second word she speaks...it begins with 'F'....

The plot and sub-plots could be told in a much better way as they could work but the whole thing is let down by bad script, poor direction and continuity...not to mention authenticity (again).

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon [Download]
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon [Download]

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish, 22 May 2014
I have played Far Cry 1, 2 and 3, including many of the mods, skins and had varying degrees of entertainment. I can see what the Far Cry people are trying to do but it doesn't work.

The very dark lighting means you can only play in darkened rooms so you have a chance of discerning some backgrounds. The gameplay is stunted and limited (I am trying to avoid saying 'boring'), with progression more happenstance than planning. I recognised many scenario's and some seem to be borrowed from Half Life and previous Far Cry editions....almost like it had been cobbled together by a team of enthusiastic players in someone's back bedroom after school...very amateurish.

I sincerely hope the Far Cry team don't take the 'futuristic' approach in future Far Cry games.

The Border - Season 2
The Border - Season 2

1.0 out of 5 stars So frustrating, 22 April 2014
I had high hopes after seeing it was Canadian rather than their crazy neighbours but guess what?......it only takes a few minutes for the Yanks to show up, violating international airspace and shooting the bejeesus out of everything. Once the American in charge gets to speak with the Canadian in charge, the US attitude is "so what?"...which is art imitating life and from that moment on we witness the Canadians being lapdogs to the American federal agencies, which I sincerely hope is not the case in real life.

The plot(s) of each episode are formula, with a beautiful female Canadian agent, a rough trade male Canadian agent with a boss who is morality and justice personified, with a beautiful, tough bitch of a US agent. The interaction is unbelievable and I don't mean that in a good way, the dialogue is stilted and doesn't really flow as you would expect, the acting is almost okay but the frustrations of a limited script and tired plot lines do not overcome this.

I would advise anyone to avoid watching this series and after 5 episodes, I will not be watching anymore.

Blackberry Z10 Sim Free Smartphone
Blackberry Z10 Sim Free Smartphone
Offered by DGL Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry Buyers Beware, 29 Mar 2014
After owning this phone for 10 months bought here on Amazon, the sound system developed a very bad fault but still being within the 12 month warranty I decided to contact Blackberry....this is where the fun starts!

Blackberry don't actually have any contact numbers or email addresses on their UK or global websites, instead they refer you to the place you purchased it from, which is a poor response to a warranty repair request but still I tried to contact the seller through their Amazon storefront....only to find they are no longer operating.

I have used up many favours getting various Blackberry UK phone and email addresses to ask someone what I can do to try and initiate a warranty repair without the seller but no emails have been replied to and the telephone calls all tell me I am not talking to the right people and refer me back to their website, which refers me back to the seller.

My warning is this, I quite like Blackberry products but as someone who always buys SIM free and unlocked, I will never buy a Blackberry from Amazon or other unauthorised seller again and I don't recommend anyone else on Amazon does either, it seems my warranty is unable to be honoured.

NOTE: I also have a Nokia Lumia as a main phone bought here on Amazon, it first developed a sound problem and from contacting Nokia on their website to arranging repair to receiving the phone back took about 8 days. I have just had a new screen fitted also under warranty and the process took 7 days. Nokia are a class above all other manufacturers.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 6:47 PM BST

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (Intel Core i5-3330S 2.7GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Mar 2014
Apart from the extensive set up process of Windows 8.0 it is a good buy. The computer is VERY fast and efficient and ever so quiet, having thought that my previous dual core Windows 7 was quiet, it is noisy in comparison to this HP.

One tip....Windows asks you to use your Hotmail/Live/Outlook account to set the computer up, which can be intrusive if you use Microsoft software such as Bing on Internet Explorer as you're signed in all the time. I thought it was mandatory as I tried to rush through the setting up process...it's not! you can choose to not integrate your email account and give your user account administrator rights. That said an instant upgrade to Windows 8.1 and only a shade under 6 hours to set up Microsoft and I hadn't even begun to migrate existing files.....

The computer though is a dream.....quad core is well worth the investment.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't work on Windows 7, 29 Jan 2014
...which unfortunately is the reason I bought them!!!! I don't believe everything I read but unfortunately, I didn't take my own advice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5