Profile for Late night reader > Reviews

Content by Late night reader

Late night reader (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
OXO Good Grips Shower Stall Drain Protector
OXO Good Grips Shower Stall Drain Protector
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one sooner, 27 Jun 2014
I bought this in October. This week for the first time I've needed to use drain cleaner. Prior to buying this, our shower was so rubbish we were using drain cleaner almost weekly. Expensive and rubbish for the environment. Friend told me about the existence of it and after that we've never looked back! Hair much nicer to remove off this, straight after a shower than to pull out the plug hole weeks later.

3M Littmann Stethoscope Snap Tight Eartips
3M Littmann Stethoscope Snap Tight Eartips
Offered by Nightingale Nursing Supplies
Price: 11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 26 May 2014
Bit expensive for what they are, and it would be nice if they offered a range of colours. My initial ear buds were grey to match the seals around the bell and diaphragm and so now it doesn't match (oh the stethoscope fashion crime!)

Of note when you get them the holes to "attach" them to the stethoscope (I have a Littman Cardiology II) look much too small and I thought I'd ordered the wrong thing but they do stretch to fit perfectly.

Revision Notes for MCEM Part A (Oxford Specialty Training: Revision Texts)
Revision Notes for MCEM Part A (Oxford Specialty Training: Revision Texts)
by Mark Harrison
Price: 42.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea- but let down by the lack of a proof-reader, 26 May 2014
There is a paucity of resources available for the MCEM despite there being a big syllabus that needs to be covered. This book is designed to fill that gap with one convenient book instead of 15. It's good good diagrams and closely adheres to the syllabus.

BUT (and this is a big but) as pointed out before there are lots of little errors. Sometimes it is mixing up medial and lateral. Some of it is getting things totally the wrong way round. Every now and then I think "that really doesn't sound right", google it and lo and behold it is wrong. But then it makes me worry that I am only picking up the errors when I knew the information anyway (which sort of negates the point of a book) and that in the areas I know nothing about I'm probably missing much more.

I'm using it for the anatomy revision (since I'm fairly doomed in that section anyway and it tightly adheres the the syllabus) but I don't trust it for things like physiology so am using other sources.

It's a real shame because if these errors were rectified it would be the perfect exam companion.

Stormguard 11SR0666SQM 6Sq m Secondary Glazing Window Insulation Film
Stormguard 11SR0666SQM 6Sq m Secondary Glazing Window Insulation Film
Price: 5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly idiot-proof, 21 Jan 2014
So I bought this to "double glaze" the windows on the garden door of a renal house. They are so poorly insulated you can put your hand dose to them and feel the draft from around the leaking panes. So I thought it was worth a try and bought this.

Instructions (with diagrams) were pretty easy. Except the hair dryer bit. I may be a girl but that doesn't mean I own a hairdryer. I carefully followed the instructions, had a beautifully sleek piece of plastic stuck on and decided a fan heater was a reasonable substitute for a hair dryer to "tighten it". It was not. Obviously much too hot, huge holes melted into the "double glaze". So I had to peel it all off and start again. Second time round I was bored and did more of a rush job so it is a bit crinkled in the corner. Still works really well though and the back hall is miles warmer for it.

Ellie-Bo Dog Puppy Cage Folding 2 Door Crate with Non-Chew Metal Tray Small 24-inch Silver
Price: 24.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Came already broken, 21 Jan 2014
So first things first, this is described as a product for puppies and I'm using it for kittens, so since it never claimed to be for cats I'm not going to give it one star.

I bought this as cat jail for feeding time as one of my kittens is starting to resemble a seal he eats so much and the other one doesn't get a look in. So I bought the crate to feed the thin one in so he'd have time to finish his food in peace. The cage came and when I assembled it I realised that the back two bars were already loose at the top of the cage- presumably not welded on firmly enough. I considered returning it straight away but I have a continuous 12 day stretch of work ahead and didn't have time to go to the post office. And I assumed they wouldn't really notice. First few days it worked fine and I forgot about the loose bars. Then I started to find the thin one out of the crate only minutes after I'd put in. Confused I assumed my housemate had let him out. But today he escaped whilst my housemate was sitting in the same room as me, so I realised he wasn't letting the kitten out.

So I put him back in and watched. Kitten spent all of 5 minutes in there before climbing up the bars and headbutting his way out, pushing the loose bars aside. It still works for the fat one as he lacks both athletic ability and cunning, and whilst I've superglued the bars back on the roof of it, I'm not convinced on the build quality.

So whilst I appreciate most dogs can't shimmy up the side, I can imagine quite a lot of dogs would be able to headbutt their way out of the back. And if two of the bars were already off from their weldings when it arrived, I'm dubious how long the rest will last.

In conclusion: not a great jail for cats.

The Man with the Compound Eyes
The Man with the Compound Eyes
by Wu Ming-Yi
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Hints of Murakami but a unique new voice, 23 Nov 2013
I must admit I was drawn to this book by the cover- but the contents didn't disappoint. Initially I didn't really get on with the writing style but the plot was intriguing enough to draw me in.

Whilst it is primarily the story of Alice and Atile'i the narrative strands come from a variety of characters from the missing husband and son to the eponymous Man with the Compound Eyes. There are moments that feel quite Murakami-esque but other moments that feel very different- the novel has a strident ecological theme running through it. Also slightly reminds me of the earlier David Mitchell novels.

The book doesn't feel derivative however, it is probably just the closest thing I can think of in categorising an entirely new reading experience. Part of the pleasure was just learning something about Taiwan, before this I was pretty much a blank state on it. The plot is also very engrossing; exciting, moving, sad and at times completely unpredictable. I was sorry to see this is the only book of his in translation- hopefully it won't be the last1

Home Strip Paint & Varnish Remover - 1 litre
Home Strip Paint & Varnish Remover - 1 litre
Offered by Celtic Sustainables
Price: 21.00

1.0 out of 5 stars About as effective as shouting "the power of Home Strip compells you" at your varnish, 2 Nov 2013
I bought this product to remove some varnish off a table top. I'm asthmatic and I own a cat who can't leave anything alone so I thought a non-toxic formulation would be ideal. And in fairness to the product it hasn't exacerbated my asthma at all.

Unfortunately it has also done next to nothing to the varnish. I decided to treat a quarter of the table top first. Slathered on a thick layer, waited the half an hour recommended for varnish, came back, scraped it off and found... the varnish looking more shiny and robust than before.

I then decided to move to the advice for "5 layers of paint" so put it on for an hour, scraped it off (still looking just the same as before) then applying another coat and leaving it overnight. After the third scraping, some of the varnish had gone but then again that was probably thanks to me repeatedly scraping it for the third time. There is currently a fourth coat sitting on there but I have almost finished the tub and one quarter of the table surface is slightly stripped. Not exactly the effect I was looking for for my money.

Far From The Tree: A Dozen Kinds of Love
Far From The Tree: A Dozen Kinds of Love
by Andrew Solomon

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, riveting, 30 Jun 2013
I must admit the size of this book is rather off-putting. It also seemed to cut off the circulation to my legs when I started. But I soon forgot these discomforts because it is FASCINATING. I don't have children. I'm not pregnant. But the attention to detail that had gone into the research of this book, the way each family and their challenges were introduced made it fascinating. It is funny, tragic, heart-breaking, affirming and thought-provoking all in one read. It is one of the best non-fiction books I've read in years. You could sense that this wasn't a casual project, years had been devoted and care had gone into the families he worked with to produce this. It is also a real talent to write about such an emotive subject in the entirely non-judgemental style he managed to do so- I came out of each chapter aware of the controversies around the topics (cochlear implants vs deaf culture, early transition and puberty blockers versus waiting in transgender children) feeling aware of the pros and cons but not having been guided to the "right" answer by the author- because there isn't one.

So why 4 stars not 5? Mostly because of one chapter- Prodigies. It was such a horrible misjudgement it almost derailed the book for me. Especially wedged between children with multiple severe disabilities and children of rape. To go from "oh it's so hard to raise a child who loves playing the piano" to the story of a mother dying of HIV pondering whether it is better for her HIV-positive child of rape to pre-decease her or not seemed ridiculous and cruel. Recommend skipping that chapter and focusing on the rest.

A Questionable Shape
A Questionable Shape
by Bennett Sims

4.0 out of 5 stars Loss in Louisiana, 21 May 2013
This review is from: A Questionable Shape (Paperback)
An interesting first novel. Quite unexpected- a lot less comic than it sounds. The book is more of a mediation on loss than a zombie adventure. It shows the different coping mechanisms of the three of them and it is quite interesting to see an "outbreak" (controlled by the CDC) rather than an apocalypse.

The footnotes add a lot to the story line and the author is clearly well-read. Occasionally I found myself bored by another digression but overall it is a very readable book that draws you in.

Bonk: The Curious Coupling Of Sex and Science
Bonk: The Curious Coupling Of Sex and Science
by Mary Roach
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to lend, 29 Mar 2013
I'm just repurchasing this book after my first copy was lent to a friend who loved it so much she kept it. I would describe myself as having a bit of a smutty sense of humour, so this book was right up my street, but I loved the enthusiasm she brought to the topic. And also the way she made it very very very funny whilst celebrating the... unique... characters and topic material she dealt with- there is no cruelty in her writing, merely admiration and amusement at the dedication of the scientists involved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5