Profile for possessed.by.a.lemon > Reviews

(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Berocca Boost Fast Melts - Pack of 7 Sachets
Berocca Boost Fast Melts - Pack of 7 Sachets

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy little sachets to carry around during the day IF they work for you, 23 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In terms of the melt in the mouth aspect, I would herald this powder a success. Much like downing a small sachet of sherbet. Similar in taste and texture, albeit slightly grittier. Much preferable to waiting for a tablet to never quite completely dissolve in water. Yes, a lot easier to swallow than the sediment left at the bottom of a glass!

A quick and relatively pleasant way to get some vitamins into your system, then. Except I didn't really notice any discernible difference to my energy levels or alertness after finishing the seven sachets in this pack. As a runner who spends plenty of money on energy gels, beetroot juice, etc., I would have been perfectly happy to pay the asking price for further boxes, but as it is I'll need a bit more convincing that this is a product that can give me a boost.

Thin Air
Thin Air
by Michelle Paver

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Matter on a mountain, 16 May 2016
This review is from: Thin Air (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Watching the recent movie Everest has led to an obsession with the Himalayas and the conquering of those mountains, so Thin Air is perfectly timed and irresistible to me in that respect.

Michelle Paver does a sterling job of presenting Kanchenjunga and the five-man expedition narrated by medic Stephen Pearce. The prose placed me on the mountain, unfortunately it made me trawl through some rough groundwork. 50-odd pages passed before I became engaged with the tale. Even then, it never gripped me as a ghost story. Everest was more tense and that didn't have any ghosts!

You can't fault the research and care put into Thin Air and when it finally summits there's a satisfactory climax, but given the supernatural theme and the perils of the mountain itself, the ascent felt somewhat flat.

Outside the Lines: Lost photographs of punk and new wave's most iconic albums
Outside the Lines: Lost photographs of punk and new wave's most iconic albums
by Matteo and Sebastiano Torcinovich and Girardi

3.0 out of 5 stars Punk still doesn't feel at home on coffee tables, 8 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed flicking through these pages but it's not quite the indispensable book I was anticipating. The stories behind the covers are kept brief and the unused shots remind of looking at anniversary edition booklets of albums, which makes me wonder how many of these photographs were actually 'lost'.

If you haven't seen these photos before, the main fun to be had is pretending to be in a parallel universe where you get to give the albums a different cover. The originals are unsurprisingly nearly always the better choice, though.

Production values are decent. Nice, sturdy hardback and good quality pages with a tidy layout. To be fair, I didn't know the 'cream pies' used for the Damned Damned Damned cover were made of shaving cream, mustard and tomato ketchup. So messed up.

Honeywell HY254E QuietSet Tower Fan
Honeywell HY254E QuietSet Tower Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars The quietness comes at a cost, 3 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The trade off between noise and comfort has always been a problem when setting up a fan in the bedroom during hot and humid summer months. It has long been my dream to find a fan that is silent or close to at an affordable price. Technology still hasn't got us there yes.

This Honeywell is quieter than my previous tower fan but only on the lowest setting. It says 'five levels of quiet control'. There's really just one that I'd consider quiet to my sensitive hearing but one is better than none. It's gonna need to go up a few levels in the middle of July, I suspect. Other than that it's much the same as my last tower.

One difference is the design. The shiny, mirrored ring at the top is horribly reflective and when it catches the sun or a light, it has a habit of reflecting it straight into your eyes. Maybe not such an issue in the bedroom but, yeah, you'll probably feel the need to cover the top if you're in a room with it during the daytime. Just don't include such a thing on the next model, please.

For the time being it's a keeper but I'm still waiting for something to really rave about.

Polti Forzaspira SR 18.5 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Polti Forzaspira SR 18.5 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by prltrading

4.0 out of 5 stars Polti gives my dog hope for a better future, 17 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is one revolutionary aspect of this product that I must address immediately. It is a vacuum cleaner that my dog is unafraid of. Witchcraft? In truth, it's probably more to do with it being the quietest vacuum cleaner I've ever possessed. For this dog friendliness alone I feel it deserves five stars. But it's never easy to come by perfection in this world and this significant success story is also its Achilles heel. The pleasant quietness inevitably comes at the expense of power.

For if you have a dog in your home, it's highly unlikely that this Polti will suffice as your sole method of cleaning the carpets/floors. It's a dust buster, basically, with a large attachment that allows it to be used like a traditional hoover. There are plenty of jobs for which it comes in useful and being cordless and lightweight aids those jobs greatly, but it won't lead to retirement for the Dyson anytime soon, which is very disappointing news for my dog after such a magical introduction.

Belkin Perforated TriFold Folio Case with Multiple Viewing Angles for iPad Air and Air 2 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out not liking it, then it grew on me., 21 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Belkin can usually be depended on to provide you with a high quality cover for your tablet. In many ways this is true again here. It's well made, looks good and has a nice feel to the interior and exterior. But when it comes to functionality, it falls a little short.

The retractable corners are a fiddly and somewhat unsatisfactory way of getting the tablet in the case, but once they're there they do the job. There are no magnets to keep the case shut which feels a little cheap for a case that isn't. Again, the strap does the job but we've come to expect better. The tri-fold sleeve is standard and offers good stability when stood at viewing angle so no complaints there.

The back cover's ability to fold in on itself to free up the rear camera lens is an interesting if peculiar solution. This is held in place with a magnet which I'm therefore assuming explains the omission in the previous paragraph. There's no denying the flap does a good job, is quick and will keep the lens protected. In fact, I started out with a quite negative disposition towards the case, but the more I write about it the more I begin to like it!

Price is a sticking point, though. This black case is £35 at the time of writing. Taking everything into consideration, when you've got alternatives from Belkin that cost around a third of the price - Belkin Cinema Stripe Cover for iPad Air 2 - Black - you've got to really appreciate that back flap, perforated exterior and soft inner fabric to consider this a recommendation. You can be forgiven for falling on either side of that argument.

The Walk [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
The Walk [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D to make your knees go weak, 8 Feb. 2016
3D is dead. Again. So it is said. My recent purchases suggest otherwise. Everest offered some spectacular 3D views but The Walk is perhaps the ultimate argument for the format to live on and prosper.

I was sat in my comfy chair suffering from vertigo, pleading with Philippe Petit to come to his senses and get off that wire. And this despite my having already watched the Man On Wire documentary. That was one of my favourite documentaries of recent times. How Petit had the courage and conviction to do what he did is beyond my comprehension. But when a Hollywood adaptation was announced, it didn't initially appeal to me. Seemed unnecessary - and so soon after Man On Wire.

In truth I only got this for the aforementioned 3D and the walk scenes absolutely deliver on that front, but I found the film as a whole to be charming in its own right. Perhaps some elements are embellished for dramatic effect (although not as many as you'd think if watching it without prior knowledge) but Petit served as a consultant and overall it's another quality piece of film-making from the ever dependable Robert Zemeckis. However, it has to be said, on this occasion you really are missing out by watching in 2D. Being up there on the wire with Petit in 3D is one of the great cinematic experiences. And one of the most nerve-wracking too!

SlimFast Summer Strawberry Shake Powder, 438g
SlimFast Summer Strawberry Shake Powder, 438g

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy little boost for that New Year's Resolution..., 19 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everyone knows what to expect from Slim Fast. A reasonably tasty shake that I've happily been drinking on its own as a meal substitute in order to send those Christmas calories packing. It's enough to satiate my appetite and has helped shift the weight. As a bonus it sits nicely in my stomach while I'm out on runs too. For a committed weight loss programme, it's a winner. Yes, I've used it along with exercise but it has helped in that department after those festive excesses. Easy to make, easy to drink. Onwards and upwards.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable - 3m / 10 Feet (Latest Standard)
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable - 3m / 10 Feet (Latest Standard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you want from AmazonBasics, 12 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good quality cord and immaculate 3D and 4k playback. Not too expensive but not a bargain bin gamble either. Well packaged too so it's difficult to see how you can go wrong. The only reason to be spend extra would be if your preference is for braided cables. But I've had other AmazonBasics leads for years and they've never shown any signs of wear and you can't ask for better image and audio quality.

Lenovo C40 21.5-Inch HD All-in-One Desktop PC (Intel Pentium 3805U 1.9 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, DVD-RW, WLAN, Bluetooth, Camera, Integrated Graphics) - White with Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Offered by Laptop Outlet UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb value family PC, 4 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've spent the last five years or so over in Mac world. A wonderful place that I vowed never to return from. But here I am with a Windows PC in 2016.

Out of the box, this is a snazzy looking unit. A design that is clearly inspired by Apple. Very nice, compact and at a great price. I fired it up. Again, great results. It's quick, ready to work within seconds. The wired keyboard is fine, allows for quick typing, and while the mouse feels a little on the light and cheap side, it does its job. Set up is easy and there's nothing to complain about. Bearing in mind I came to it after a long separation from non-Mac PCs, I didn't at any point need to address the instruction manual.

On to Windows. Hmmm. While upgrading to Windows 10 SHOULD be simple, it is slow and takes me three restarts. The first time, it refuses to finish the download, the second the computer crashes altogether. I don't blame it on Lenovo. Man, I remember from all those years ago that this is what to expect from Windows. But since that awkward upgrade, it's been well behaved.

In fairness, once Windows 10 is finally downloaded and installed (it felt like well over two hours), I've got an up to date PC that performs very well. One thing sticks out straight away, though. Mine is not a touch screen model. Everything about Windows 10 screams touch screen and with that in mind, I would recommend you pick up the touch screen version of this unless it's something you especially don't want.

In terms of value for money, the specs are more than adequate for a home PC, 1TB HDD is plentiful and it's whisper quiet (but not silent). The 21.5" display is satisfactory, not perfect in an age of retina screens, but nothing to worry about and the screen is happily non-reflective. WiFi reception is immaculate (even if the Windows 10 upgrade would have you believe otherwise).

Of course, the software it comes with is minimal and you only get a trial of Office before having to pay for a subscription, but this is a very attractive PC at an even more attractive price. Back in 2001 I paid £700 for something that would have been the equivalent of this. That blows my mind.

For everyday usage, it's a great option.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20