Profile for velissaria > Reviews

by J. D. Robb
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.76

1.0 out of 5 stars Clichéd, unoriginal, boring, 21 Jan 2014
The way this book was reviewed in a UK magazine, was as a dark/horror take on fairy tales. It's nothing like it. The stories are nothing exceptional, and the surprise factor is lacking. J. Robb's story was so badly written I couldn't finish it. The dialogues were stiff and ridiculous. I liked "the Christmas Comet" and "Stroke of midnight" a bit more. Very disappointing.

Sonnics 750GB 2.5 inch USB External Pocket Sized Hard Drive for PC, Laptops, Macs and Playstation 3 - Blue
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 31 July 2013
I bought it a few months ago. Arrived quickly and it is well-built. Lovely colour and finish. Initially I had a problem with the mac not 'seeing' it, but I rebooted the computer and it worked just fine. It is slim and compact and it fits in a pocket easily.

Braun Oral-B Vitality Sonic Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Vitality Sonic Toothbrush

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't charge, 31 July 2013
I was happy with this toothbrush until it stopped charging all of a sudden. One week it was charging fine, the next it wouldn't. I tried two different charging bases (one is my husband's) and as his toothbrush charges OK, it means the toothbrush developed a fault. I expected a lot longer life from an Oral-B product, so I will try another brand in the future.

Stoker [DVD] [2013]
Stoker [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mia Wasikowska
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Stoker [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
* Also published on Imdb *

Another masterpiece by Park, who playfully, coldly and ruthlessly explores the darkness of the human psyche.

The movie is not only as good as the trailer, but hugely better and even more mysterious and captivating. It simply blows your mind away. Fortunately, I ignored the negative Anglophobe reviews and watched it. It's the most complete artistic work by Chan-wook Park in his career so far, an ingenious masterpiece, with the only minor complaint being the lack of the explicit violence he depicts in his Korean movies; this is not his fault though, but the request of the American companies involved, and still he manages to make us shiver with the cruelty of the violent scenes depicted and insinuated.

To fully appreciate this movie, you must have watched Old Boy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, and in general to be a fan of Korean and Japanese cinema. The script is excellent, violent, unpredicted, the plot mysterious and sinister, and not for those who love the silliness of American spoon-fed cinema. If you don't like or understand international cinema, then don't bother. This movie and Matthew Goode's performance are Oscar material, if Oscars were not political travesties.

I have never watched such a cinematic masterpiece before. Highly stylised, every move, every word, the posture of the actors, every tiny detail has a meaning. The mansion filmed on location has an ominous air of decadence. The plot is clearly outlined: India is a strange girl, with something dark and off about her. Her mother is a depressed rich stay-at-home housewife, and we understand that her marriage has become a chore. When India's father has a mysterious car accident, uncle Charlie, an unbelievably handsome man, suddenly appears. And bad things start happening. Who, what and why? The movie builds up the plot and the suspension like a dance or the notes of a symphony! This is something I have felt with other movies by Park, and they are the only movies I watch again and again to fully take in and appreciate every detail, and the beautiful music throughout. Little by little, every nod, word, step, bring us to the climax, to the end, the answer to the questions and the harsh reality. There are no easy supernatural explanations here. Only the malevolence of the human heart.

Balance Active Formula Rejuvenating Day Cream 50ml
Balance Active Formula Rejuvenating Day Cream 50ml
Offered by hairnbeautyshop
Price: 6.49

2.0 out of 5 stars It dries my skin, 19 April 2013
It has a chemical smell, but what really annoys me is that it dries my skin. After I apply it, my skin starts 'pulling', feels uncomfortable, and I feel it flushing. Maybe some mild allergic reaction?

Pack of 4 FilterLogic FL402H cartridges to fit Brita Maxtra and Laica Bi-Flux
Pack of 4 FilterLogic FL402H cartridges to fit Brita Maxtra and Laica Bi-Flux
Offered by Pozzani
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with a Marella, 21 Feb 2013
I have a Brita Marella. Cartridges fit great. Initially little flow, but I read the instructions and I needed to install the green cap provided, because apparently my Marella was a later model with flow restriction. After that no problem at all. I will buy them again as long as their price remains low. If you cannot make them fit, you must be doing something wrong...

Kitchen Craft Coated Dish Drainer
Kitchen Craft Coated Dish Drainer
Price: 9.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 21 Feb 2013
This item, bought a few months ago, initially exceeded my expectations. It is heavy and very well built, with a thick protective white plastic coating. It has tall sides, so items can be piled without falling over. Very sturdy and good quality. Neither too small nor too big for my sink. However, around after a couple of months of use I spotted a 3 mm rust discolouration in the middle, apparently because the plastic coating there had a small fault and let water through. I just scratched it, and underneath the metal is rusty and eroded away. Not very happy anymore.

IKEA Cutlery Stand/Drainer ORDNING, stainless steel, 13x13cm
IKEA Cutlery Stand/Drainer ORDNING, stainless steel, 13x13cm
Offered by TOTAL RECALL UK 2
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Feb 2013
I am very happy with this item. It is sturdy and large enough so that it is very stable and does not fall over, even if you put large items or only a couple of items in it.

Grotesque
Grotesque
by Natsuo Kirino
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grotesque (Paperback)
This book is more like 'Real World' than 'Out'. It is the story of the psyche of social outcasts and deviants (two prostitutes, one serial murderer and one malicious jealous sociopath) seen through narration and diaries. The characters are almost impossible to like, but like 'Real World' the book is deep and detailed, and expands a theme that seems to intrigue Kirino lately: the social explanation for extreme crime and violence.

Skeleton Crew
Skeleton Crew
by Stephen King
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old King, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Skeleton Crew (Paperback)
If I am not mistaken, this book was first published in the early '80s. So, it is very interesting for King fans, because it does not only have some great stories, but also because obviously it was still an experimental writing phase for King: he tries many different themes, writing styles, and even poetry (not successfully, alas). The stories I found most chilling were "Gramma", "The Raft" and "Survivor Type" (the latter almost made me vomit - it was that powerful). I totally recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5