Profile for P. G. Strachan > Reviews

Content by P. G. Strachan

P. G. Strachan (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Marware MicroShell Folio Cover Lightweight for Kindle Fire, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had one or two (maybe three) covers for the Kindle Fire but I'd say this is my favourite to date. Nothing fancy....but stylish and it feels as if it would protect my kindle from some reasonably industrial strength abuse. It's an excellent fit with all the important apertures exposed and easily accessibile. Personally I don't really understand why anyone would feel the need to use the stand feature but, in the interests of thoroughness, I put it to the test and can confirm that it does indeed stand (even when I attempted some comedy typing).

Seagate STCK1000200 1TB Wireless Plus 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Grey
Seagate STCK1000200 1TB Wireless Plus 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Where Have You Been All My Life, 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What an excellent thing. I probably had the wrong end of the stick when I ordered this as I wasn't really looking for much more than a big lump of external storage. But this is so much better. I've lobbed all my media on to it and barely made a dent in it's capacity....but the best bit is that we can access all that material from the various tablets/ipods strewn about the house. I'm probably sounding like some technologically illiterate halfwit but it never occured to me that this might be possible (alright I am sounding like some technologically illiterate halfwit). So all those ipods/pads that have long since run out of storage capacity have suddenly taken on a new and useful life.
I haven't tested it to the full, advertised extent of it's range but as long as I can pick it up from anywhere in the house I'm like the proverbial pig in excreta.
And it looks pretty swishy too....

QuickBooks Pro 2013 + Payroll: RTI Ready - 1 Year Subscription, 1 User (PC)
QuickBooks Pro 2013 + Payroll: RTI Ready - 1 Year Subscription, 1 User (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Beyond Me, 17 Jan 2013
I first tried out Quckbooks with the 2012 iteration and seem to recall saying at the time that it was much more advanced than anything I'd ever have need of in my small business. Perhaps I should go back and tweak that review now because I have to concede that it grew on me over the course of the year and was actually much more helpful than I'd anticipated. Anyway...thus the reason for my decision to upgrade to Pro 2013 but I'm starting to think that pethaps I should have stuck with 2012. I hate to judge it over what's been a relatively short period of use (especially given my previous experience) but I do have the impression that I'd have been as well to stick with 2012. Again it just seems way too sophisticated for my needs. I can't really hold that against the product as it should have been pretty obvious to me from the outset that what I really need is a stripped down version. Any recommendations ?

Roseanna (Martin Beck Police Mysteries)
Roseanna (Martin Beck Police Mysteries)
by Maj Sjöwall
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Beck's Back, 17 Jan 2013
Cards on the table. I came at this as a huge fan of the Martin Beck books which, I guess, might make it doubly difficult for the actors to occupy the characters who've already established their own voices in my head. Second disadvantage....I recall having to persist with the series after having been less than overwhelmed by Beck's first outing so, perhaps, Roseanna might not be the most auspicious beginnng. Verdict ? Thoroughly enjoyed. My reservations about the story still stack up but the actors are first rate (much better than those curious voices in my head). The rest of the series awaits.....

Timbuk2 Professor Jacket Cover for Kindle Fire with Viewing/Typing Stand, Black/Grey/Red (will only fit Kindle Fire)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice...but a bit pricey, 30 Dec 2012
The kindle fits snuggly...the various buttons are all easily accessed....it looks (in my opinion) really attractive...but I can't help but think it's a bit over-priced. Maybe the viewing stand feature adds a little value but it's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. I might feel the need for a stand with a full size tablet but engaging in the sort of typing that needs a stand with a fiddly little seven inch display screen would seem a bit over-zealous (unless you have very small and pointy fingers). Likewise would you really use a stand for reading ? I have hands. It seems to me they're more than up to the task.....
Still....it does look really nice....

Belkin Classic Strap Case for Kindle Fire HD 7", Blacktop (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7" [Previous Generation])

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 30 Dec 2012
Really lovely...looks very classy, beautifully put together (none of your tatty corners) and reeks of good workmanship. Oh...and my kindle fire hd (I mention it's an hd because, apparently, this case won't work on your basic fire) fits snug as the proverbial bug.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 (PC)
Offered by Digitalville UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 25 Nov 2012
A novice writes.....
Feel free to ignore my opinions entirely if you're a hardened veteran of video editing software. I bow and scrape before you in an "I am not worthy" demeanour. Still...I guess there are a lot of people out there just looking to make a start and rightly terrified by the vast array of software options in the market and the bemusing range of features they each offer. So basically I'm your man if you ain't got a clue.
First things first....it downloads reasonably easily which is always a big plus regardless of whether the software turns out to be utterly useless. Thankfully it also turns out to be far from utterly useless and, huge relief, doesn't start from the premise that you know what you're doing. Explanation is up front and central so whenever you're suffering from a slight nagging doubt that you're about to delete the one and only copy of your family history dvd the answer will be on hand....hurrah.
As for functionality....there's lots (told you I knew a lot about his stuff). Most of it I'm just starting to explore and given that I can't really compare it with any other video software I'm reluctant to pass judgement. Suffice to say that everything I've tried so far has lived up to it's billing in the product blurb and I'm slowly starting to make videos that I feel pretty pleased with.
So in short...it's worked for me and worked well....

R.O.GNT 0202-37 80dB Portable Handset Bluetooth MP3 Speaker for Smartphone/ iPhone/ Notebook and Tablet - Blue
Offered by triple_a

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortingly retro, 25 Nov 2012
In fairness I'd have to say this isn't the gadget that I've been waiting all my life for someone to invent....but since they have I'll embrace it and welcome the fact that it works really well. Being pretty retro myself I like the look and the feel of the handset. It reminds you of what a design triumph the original phone handset was....it's so much more comfortable than having a mobile lodged in your ear. In terms of it's usefulness I've kind of taken to having it lying around the house acting as a sort of extension phone for the mobile so I don't have to cart the mobby everywhere I go. It does the job but I'm left wondering if there might be some other miraculous function it could fulfill which, being old and somewhat clunky, I'm just missing. All suggestions appreciated.....

John Carter [DVD]
John Carter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Taylor Kitsch

1.0 out of 5 stars Are You Kidding Me, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: John Carter [DVD] (DVD)
I'm saying nothing about this movie and confining my comments to the Amazon rating system. It currently rates four and a half stars which, frankly, is just incredible. I'm one starring it not because I think that's how bad it is but simply to attempt to bring the rating down to something less ridiculous.
Alright I'll have to say sonething about the film. I watched it on dvd because I refused to accept the critics verdict and figured that anything they spend that much money on must have some redeeming feature (I realise that's a less than enlightened viewpoint). So actually I sat down to watch it with a pretty open mind. But it's genuinely awful....way too long...and frankly I spent half the film trying to work out who I was supposed to care about and singularly failed to find an answer. The twist in the tale is a nice conceit although I'd largely given up by the time it came around. I realise that Burroughs isn't exactly fresh out of the box but someone (Stanton ?) must have figured it could be relevant to a 2012 audience. Wrong. No amount of cgi can disguise a story that's long past it's sell by date.

TuneUp Utilities 2013: 1 User (PC)
TuneUp Utilities 2013: 1 User (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective but short of miraculous, 25 Nov 2012
I thought i'd do this scientificAlly rather than just guessing if things got a little better n the aftermath of my tune up....
So the bare details....the stopwatch was applied to a normal boot up scenario and pre-tune up it took 5 minutes and twenty seconds from switching on to the point where I could actually fire up firefox.
Alright....so installed TuneUp (pretty straightforward I have to say) and sent it off to do it's various jobs. Got the usual frightener message about how it had detected numerous thousand problems....instructed it to scrub up the machine in every conceivable way. All of which took a little time (hardly surprising given the extent of the uncovered dodgieness) but it went about it's work and I set it to the turbo startup option.
So....stopwatch back out I shut down and restarted hoping for some revelatory experience.....
Well....maybe I was being a bit optimistic in praying for my old clunker to turn into a some superfast piece of kit.
It took around 3 minutes and fifteen seconds....so roughly two minutes faster than it was in the dark days when I would have happily engaged in self-harming just to wile away the endless hours staring at the hourglass of tedium.
That's still a good 3 minutes longer than I'd like it to be but I'm an ungrateful wretch and really should learn to accept small blessings in my life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17