Profile for P. G. Strachan > Reviews

Content by P. G. Strachan

P. G. Strachan (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Busy B 2015 Busy Family Diary for up to 5 People, with Storage Pockets, Flags Design

4.0 out of 5 stars What's Another Year, 19 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given that this is a 2015 diary it's hard to say how it's going to hold up to 365 days of wear and tear but, superficially, I'd say it's a rather handsome piece of work. There's plenty of space for day to day entries and it's nicely designed with pockets for all the bills,etc that you want to forget to pay until they bulge their way out of the aforementioned pockets covered in red print. These pockets would be pretty handily placed at the end of each month if you have to collect receipts and such like. So really I've no quibbles about this one but I'll get back to you to let you know if it survives the long, hard ride of 2015.

Boompods Earpods In Ear Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad - Blue
Boompods Earpods In Ear Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Listening, 19 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hands up. I buy new earbuds/headphones when the old ones break...a wire gets loose and starts crackling en route to giving up altogether. So basically I'm saying I'm.a long way from being one of these hi-fi experts that can tell you about top end range and all that guff (apologies to my fellow reviewers). Anyway..my initial impression wasn't exactly favourable because they come in a fairly ugly shade of blue/turquoise but on e I'd lodged the, in my lugs I was pretty impressed. The fact that they offer you different bud sizes is welcome given it's usually a bit hit or miss whether they fit or all out and they also seem reasonably robust (in so far as these things are eve built to survive more than a few months of in-ear extrication abuse). A number of people have mentioned that the wires are less prone to the traditional tangle trouble and I'd echo that. So all in all (aside from the colour scheme) I'm pretty happy with these Boompods.

Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush
Offered by K.K. Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Brush Believer, 19 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I come at this as no particular fan of the electric toothbrush in general. Being a bloke I kind of prefer the old school physicality of the old school brush...the bigger and tougher the better. Frankly if I could get away with it I'd probably use an ajax panshiner on the incisors just so I'd ve left with that feeling I'd brushed my teeth to oblivion and beyond. In short I like to feel the job is done.
So preening away with one of these tiny heads whirling in my mouth has always felt like I'm not truly doing the job.
Anyway I've been giving this one a go and doing a bit of a compare and contrast with the Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush to see which I'd prefer. Clearly I'm not a dentist (no really I hear you say) but after giving this one a bit of a run out I'm somewhat converted to the cause and even getting use to the idea that the purpose of brushing may not be to entirely immolate your molars. It's reasonably comfortable to hold and once I got used to it I was a bit more relaxed about the idea that I don't have to exert furious pressure on my fangs to deliver the desired result. Plus it also appears to have helped on the bleeding gums front which is something of a bonus.
In the end, my personal preference would be for the Sonicare just because of the more conventionally shaped head. Which is more effective at plaque removal is a question I can't answer but both feel as though they're doing a solid job and getting in amongst the molars. Feature-wise the two minute timer is a pretty handy thing because I tend to switch off when I'm brushing (and wake up five hours later with a mouthful of foam wondering where the day has gone). Likewise the reminder bristles are pretty useful as I do tend to use my brushes till they fall apart in my hand. The battery life appears pretty solid and but for the pink trim which threatens my sexuality I'm pretty pleased with the Sonicare.

Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Blue
Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Convert to the Cause, 19 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyway I've been giving this one a go and doing a bit of a compare and contrast with the Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush to see which I'd prefer. Clearly I'm not a dentist (no really I hear you say) but after giving this one a bit of a run out I'm somewhat converted to the cause and even getting use to the idea that the purpose of brushing may not be to entirely immolate your molars. It's reasonably comfortable to hold and on e I got used to it I was a bit more relaxed about the idea that I don't have to exert furious pressure on my fangs to deliver the desired result. Plus it also appears to have helped on the bleeding gums front which is something of a bonus.
So all in all I can live wi the Oral B although. In the end, my personal preference would be for the Sonicare just because Of the more conventionally shaped head. Which is more effective at plaque removal is a question I can't answer but both feel as though they're doing a solid job and getting in amongst the molars. In my case the pressure sensor is alsa pretty handy feature in terms of feature me out of my old bad habits and giving my teeth a break from the ferocious scrubbing that's characterised my previous brushing so, all in all, I've emerged a bit of a convert.

My Dog, my Friend
My Dog, my Friend
by Jacki Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and tender, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: My Dog, my Friend (Hardcover)
This heart warming little book is the perfect accompaniment to a sit down and a cup of tea and has been read front to back by all members of my family. Each contribution reveals, sometimes with such raw honesty that it brings a tear to the eye, that canine friendship brings great benefits to many people from all walks of life. It is very reader friendly, easy to dip in and out of and tenderly thought provoking. Now it is finished a sit down and a cup of tea will not be the same!
Kirsty Strachan

All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher)
All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher)
by Alafair Burke

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, 28 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was my first toe in the water with Alafair Burke and I have to say it wasn't at all what I'd expected. As a huge (bordering on enormous) fan of her dad I'd expected to find some of that influence within the pages of "All Day" but this couldn't be further removed. Thinking about it...that's probably just as well given he'd be an almost impossible act to follow and Alafair would probably end up looking like some kind of JLB Lite. So slight disappointment in terms of expectations confounded but I'm also a (less devoted) fan of Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch books and that, it seems to me, is Alafair's alma mater. Once I got into "All Day" it pretty much flew along and made for an enjoyable read. If I had any reservation it's perhaps that there's never really any sense of danger. At the risk of engaging in spoilers (just stop if you're squeamish re receiving the slightest hint) despite that fact that we're dealing with serial killers and ghosts of the past there's little darkness in these pages nor any feeling at any point that any of the main characters might not emerge unscathed. Still....an enjoyable read and I'll probably be tempted to rifle through the back catalogue of Burke Minor (is that a bit insulting ? Sorry).

Tacwise A14014V 140-Staples Air Stapler Tacker
Tacwise A14014V 140-Staples Air Stapler Tacker

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and Punchy, 14 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First point....I was pleasantly surprised by how lightweight this Tacwise turned out to be (yes...I could have looked at the specs before hitting the order button but I didn't). The downside of that - I figured - might be that it could turn out to be a bit lacking in the punch department....but not a bit of it. It's also a speedy little operator and, fingers crossed, I've yet to experience a single jam. Recommended...

AmazonBasics 7-Inch Black Sleeve for Nexus 7 / Kindle Fire / Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7-Inch Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Substance Sans Style, 14 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nothing to get excited about but it does exactly what it promises to do so nothing to moan about either. It's not a triumph of style but it's a good fit for my Nexus and provides plenty of protection...which is kind of the point.

Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit
Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap But Far From Cheerful, 14 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The photo makes this look like a reasonably robust piece of kit but what arrived in the post was a long way short of that description. Someone else summed it up quite neatly when they described it as looking like the sort of thing you might pick up in a 99pence store....made of cut price materials and destined to break within a week. That might be all well and good if it was meant as an instantly disposable product...a suck it and see starter for those considering vaping....but given that you'll have to invest further before you can take so much as a single puff on this pipe it doesn't exactly strike me as an ultra cheap introduction. Oh...and you can add into the equation the fact that you'd almost certainly feel embarrassed to be caught with this piece of tack stuck in your mouth.....

Big Laces Round Brown Waxed 100cm Shoelaces
Big Laces Round Brown Waxed 100cm Shoelaces
Offered by Big Laces

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, 19 Jun. 2014
They're laces....so not exactly the stuff of great excitement. But they arrived quickly and they're pretty hard wearing (this is my second pair) so they're basically exactly what I was looking for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20