Profile for H. Oppong-Adarkwa > Reviews

Content by H. Oppong-Adarkwa

H. Oppong-Adarkwa "deighdawls" (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Easy to Make! Puddings and Desserts (Good Housekeeping)
Easy to Make! Puddings and Desserts (Good Housekeeping)
by Good Housekeeping Institute
Price: 5.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a complete novice, 22 Aug 2012
This book is quite small, it is about 128 pages long, but the first 30 or so pages are about how to prepare fruit etc.
So don't expect a big book to arrive, as this isn't one.

It is broken up into 5 chapters -
The basics
Fruity feasts
Cold and chilled deserts
Chocolate treats
Warming puddings
Ices and iced desserts

I didn't buy my copy from amazon, and I only paid about 2 for it.
I bought my copy for 4 of the recipes in it, as I could look through the book before I bought it.
If I had bought it from amazon, without looking in it I would have been quite disappointed indeed.

My 4 recipes are - American style plum cobbler, caramelised pineapple, summer pudding and warm chocolate fondants.

The Really Useful Ultimate Student Vegetarian Cookbook
The Really Useful Ultimate Student Vegetarian Cookbook
by Helen Aitken

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth more than 3*, 22 Aug 2012
I would imagine this would be a great little book to have about if you are thinking of following a 'meat free Monday' but as a vegetarian it's not the greatest book to be honest.

It's 260 pages long, the first 20 are all about the food pyramid etc. not really very helpful.

The book is then broken into 6 chapters -
Soups
Pasta & noodles
Rice, grain and pulses
Casseroles, curries and bakes
Stir-fries, salads and vegetables
Breakfast, snacks and standbys

This book does have recipes like scrambled eggs, honey roasted vegetetables, cauliflower cheese and bruschetta
(do you need a recipe for these things?!?)

It doesn't have lemon risotto either, but it has maybe a couple of casseroles and curries worth a go, but other than that I wouldn't bother. I only paid 2 for my copy so I'm not too upset about owning it, but I would have been if I had paid more than that I think.

Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
by Sara Lewis
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best slow cooker book I own so far..., 21 Aug 2012
This slow cooker book does have the biggest selection of slow cooker recipes I've found so far.
There are a few in here that are worth trying, I'm a vegetarian (my husband isn't) so they are more suited to him than me.

The good recipes in here are -
the mulled wine - great crowd pleaser
Chicken korma - mine didn't look like the one in the book, but apparently tasted lovely
Beef & root veg hotpot - mine needed a lot long than the book said (the potatoes were still a bit hard)

The book is definitely worth having, if you are going to buy one book as a starter then this is the one to get.

Mylo Xyloto
Mylo Xyloto
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
Some great Coldplay tracks, love it.
Took it to morocco on holiday and the staff at the riad loved it too!

What more do I need to say?!?!

Buy it!

Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 8.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Watched with my tutor group!, 21 Aug 2012
I bought this film to watch with my tutor group. We had just finished reading the book and we always watch the film afterwards.
They loved it, they are vertical which means they range from 11-19 (boys and girls) and they all thought it was funny.

The are a couple of jokes that they just didn't get, but me and my co-tutor had a giggle over. They didn't mind.
George Clooney's dry manner added to this.
They did enjoy it, but in comparison to the book it is quite different.

If you are buying it to give some little people an early injection of the legend that is Roald Dahl, then get Matilda instead.
If you are buying it as an adult to watch go for it.

Gift Tag Cookbook: Home Baking - Love Food (Gift Tag Cookbooks)
Gift Tag Cookbook: Home Baking - Love Food (Gift Tag Cookbooks)
by Parragon Books
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 6.70

4.0 out of 5 stars A good range of bakes..., 21 Aug 2012
This is quite a good little book, for a start although the outside is hardback, the inside is ring bound - so it sits flat on your counter!
Genius I here you cry (I thought the same to be fair!)
It's the little things that make your life easier, and not having to find your page again whenever you turn around is just fab.

Every recipe has a photo next to it, and they are all in grams and ounces, which for me is fine.
They are all very easy to follow and have a maximum of 6 stages - from what I can see- which do not take long at all.

I have a lot of cooking books and I love to read them and post-it note all the recipes I'm going to try, and this one started off with 11 post-it's. Great.

I've tried already the marble chocolate cheesecake brownies, lemon drizzle bars and the raspberry crumble muffins.
All three with what seems to be very well recieved success!
Yums is what my husband has said, and to be honest this is the first cooking book he has pointed something out and said 'will you make me these please?' (raspberry crumble muffins)

A couple of the recipes have buttermilk in them, I know you can make your own (it's not yet available in my supermarket) but I'm just not up for that. I don't want to hinge a whole yummy cake on whether or not I can make buttermilk, so I will patiently wait for it to come to me.

I'm going to try the caramel shortbreads next, and cannot wait!
Worth buying if you ask me!

Gift Tag Cookbook: Cookie Jar - Love Food (Gift Tag Cookbooks)
Gift Tag Cookbook: Cookie Jar - Love Food (Gift Tag Cookbooks)
by Parragon Books
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 6.52

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 20 Aug 2012
This is a hard back book, but that's just the cover. The inside of the book is ring bound, which is really great as this means it sits flat on the counter, fantastic!!

(It is so annoying having a book that shuts itself when you turn your head so you then have to wedge it open, nightmare).

Each recipe has a finished photo,which I understand some people do like. It doesn't bother me too much.
Quite a few of the recipes have variations on the bottom, which is quite nice as well.

Each recipe is in grams and ounces, which is also handy.

There are some great flavours in here as well, but there are also some random ones......margarita cookies?!?!
Not sure about those ones.....otherwise quite a good little book, worth having if you are a cookie fan!

Bitesize Desserts (Bitesize Chunky series) (Cookery)
Bitesize Desserts (Bitesize Chunky series) (Cookery)
by Murdoch Books
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overall range of recipes, 20 Aug 2012
This book is broken down into 4 chapters -
Fruity
Chilled
Baked
Rich

Each recipe is in grams and ounce, and each recipe has a photograph of the finished bake.

My husband calls me 'a bit of a foodie', but I'm not sure if I'd agree.
I love cooking books.
I have a lot of cooking books and I love to read them and post-it note all the recipes I'm going to try, I then go and shut myself in the kitchen and bake away with the music on, this book has just the right amount of ingredients to still let me dance about in my own world and not miss anything out!
This book has 11 post-it notes as a starting point for me.
There is just one page for each bake - perfect amount of instructions for me.

There is a great range of recipes in here from zabaglione to eclairs and plum cobbler to chocolate dipped ice cream balls!
This book is definitely well worth having.

Muffins: Muffin Recipes From Blueberry, Bran, Date, Apple to Carrot, Orange and Rhubarb (The Australian Women's Weekly Minis)
by The Australian Women's Weekly

3.0 out of 5 stars Some random favours, but overall quite a good book!, 20 Aug 2012
This book is a thin little book, so when it comes through the post don't expect a big muffin cookbook because that's not what this is. Its 62 pages long, so quite slim, and the majority of pages has one recipe on one side and the accompanying photo on the opposite side.
Every recipe has a final photo.

There is a conversion chart in the back of the book, but every recipe is in both cups and grams, which for me is great.
I am such a cup measurement cook!

The book does have a few random flavours in it, for example frosted carrot & orange. It also has 2 recipes in the centre pages for microwave muffins. I have not tried these, so can't say how they will turn out.

Quite a few of the recipes include buttermilk, which for me is not yet sold in my local supermarkets. This may be something you need to take into account. I am also not a fan of coconut or banana - coconut does pop up quite regularly in this book.
(I wish I had known that before hand)

It's an ok book, and if you like to bake a lot of different flavored muffins, you are happy with coconut and only want to top up on a muffin book you may already own then go for it, otherwise there are better books out there.

200 Cupcakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Cupcakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Joanna Farrow
Price: 4.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite handy, 20 Aug 2012
There are six chapters in this book -
Everyday cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes
Cupcakes for kids
Cupcakes for adults
Savory cupcakes
Special occasion cupcakes

The great thing about this cupcake book is not just the fact there are 200 different recipes but the fact that every recipe has at least one alternate version on the bottom of the page. Each recipe has a photo next to it showing not only the final bake, but a way of presenting it, which for me is not a key issue when buying a book, but I can understand why that might be important for some people.

The recipes are divided into ingredients for the actual cake with a separate list for the decoration. This for me is quite helpful, I hate when recipes ask you to measure out x amount of sugar and keep y separate for later. Plus you may not want to decorate you cakes that way, so it's very helpful.

I also like to fact the book is quite small, but this does mean the font size is also quite small. There are not a great deal of instructions for each bake as well, so that's a bonus for me.

The book is value for money, but it doesn't have any life changing recipes in there to be honest, if you have a good cupcake book already I wouldnt bother buying this one as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4