Profile for Oymaprat > Reviews

Content by Oymaprat

Oymaprat (Nowhere In Particular)

Page: 1 | 2
One Night: Live in Australia
One Night: Live in Australia
Price: 16.14

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, 13 July 2004
Only get this if you're an avid fan of ELO or part II. Very poor...

Man Who Built America
Man Who Built America
Offered by A1tradingGB
Price: 15.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A wink, I think, is as quick as a blink, 11 July 2004
This review is from: Man Who Built America (Audio CD)
Did that get your attention?
I bought this CD, invited some mates over and we got somewhat drunk to it. I have a very clear memory of thinking, CHRIST THIS IS A GOOD ALBUM! And, upon sobering up, and listening to it by myself I realised I was right. This album sees the Horslips loose their Irish Folk roots apart from the odd mandolin solo, which is sad as their early albums were superb (recommend them all) however the pure rocking brilliance of this album is by no means dissapointment. The Horslips are one of the few bands who split up before thier music began to degenerate (yes the Beatles also did this). Which is sad, but almost is happy, as fans of the Horslips know, the band could have gone on without degenerating, it just wasn't in thier nature. To be frank, I am very upset that the band is only known by people 'into music' (on the whole) as I think they should be as well known as Queen, Led Zepplin, Genesis the Beatles etc. So I strongly advise you purchase this album, it is mostly rock, and completely great. (do I sound obsessive?) I am confident that after you here this you to will agree that the band deserves fame.
Oh well you can't have everything...

The Lot
The Lot
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"
Price: 78.33

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THE TEXT BELOW, IF YOU DARE, 11 July 2004
This review is from: The Lot (Audio CD)
This ones simple: if you like madness, get this. If you already have one of these, get it anyway as it's value for money. If you've heard a few madness tunes and are curious, get this. If you've never heard a madness song before, get a best of or what have you, and then buy this. Nice jolly albums, even to an extent the latter ones.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

5.0 out of 5 stars Tin Tin jumped in suprise..., 11 July 2004
...did that get your attention?
I have been doing reviews for quite a time now but have only just plucked up the courage to do a genesis review. I suppose I've been putting it off because they are such a complex band that there is so much to talk about. Well here it goes... and by the way, don't be put off by the seemingly negative beggining.
I have always felt that to say that both Lamb lies Down and Pawn Heart by Van Der Graaf Generator are in the same catagory of music is a little odd. Both termed as prog (progressive) rock they sound as different from each other as Chuck Berry does from 50 Cent. I feel that prog should sound raw and, well, weird. But this doesn't. It almost sounds like a musical in places. There are several pop rock tracks, Counting Out Time and Lily White Lylith being two of them. This sounds like a really polished epic... and it is.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not writting this to say Genesis lost their way. Far from it. This is a great, stunning album, the last good one they'd make. I'm writting this to tell you that this isn't Foxtrot, Trespass Selling England by the Pound etc. This is a tight, all action album full of great, mostly under five minute, songs. It still has the Genesis sound of before and if you like their work prior to this you will enjoy this album.
Now then, I'll just talk of the epic part without explaining it, thus ruining the first time experiance for you guys as other reviews have done. In fact there is no one story within this album. It can be interprated as a face value story, or as whatever you want it to be. It is about a guy apparently called Rael who, one way or another is lost. That is all I shall say, although I'm sure that by the song titles you should be able to guess that a lot weird things happen.
To sum up, if you have enjoyed Genesis albums up until this, those being From Genesis to Revelation (almost a Cat Stevens album) Tresspass (beggining to get that Genesis sound, but Mr Stevens is still prodominent) Nursery Crime (an odd almost post-Lamb Lies Down sounding album) Foxtrot (there's that sound) and Selling England by the Pound (when they are, in my opinion, on top form) I recommend all of these by the way. If you enjoy albums after this, I think you will find this to be far superior as Peter Gabriel made Genesis. When he left they just did a few empty prog albums before turning rock pop. All the same you should enjoy this whether this is a first Genesis buy or your last.
I hope I've given valid advice.
Toodle Pipskie (is that how you spell it?)

The Dirk Gently Omnibus
The Dirk Gently Omnibus
by Douglas Adams
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A Summary of Tea-Times and Souls, 25 Jun 2004
I shall summarise all the other reviews below mine for you. This is a book (or rather two books) that someone who has enjoyed another of Adams' works should enjoy. That is the majority, not everyone. These two books are writen in the same vain as the Hitchikers books (recommend) in that there are a lot of surreal things going on, however it has a different feel to it. It is darker and more serious. (which is not to say it IS serious, just more-so) This works well to build up a good atmosphere throughout the book. Yes the title charactor doesn't appear until well over half way in the first book but he is covered for rather well by another intriguing charactor. And yes the ending to No 1 isn't easy to follow but for Christs sake niether is most of Hitchiker! As for the second book, it is far fetched from the off but great none-the-less.
They are both good books and in my opinion this compilation edition is just as good as the books seperately and is cheaper! And, from the opinions expressed on this page, it seems they suggest this is worth the risk of buying and disliking it. I can only hope that I have given valid advice. I hope you enjoy these books (this book) as I do.

ELO Part II Live
ELO Part II Live

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't even be bothered to think of a title..., 17 Jun 2004
This review is from: ELO Part II Live (Audio CD)
Look, if you like Part Two you might like this but I advise those of you who don't know them not to look at this twice. It is just OK immetations of ELO classics. None of the songs are as good as the originals.
Steer clear is my advise... very poor

Rick Wakeman: Out There [DVD]
Rick Wakeman: Out There [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rick Wakeman
Offered by OUT OF PRINT
Price: 17.44

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good ect ect ect BUT, 2 Jun 2004
Firstly, the music on this one is great, I really like it. BUT I was a little dissapointed with the concept MOVIE part of it. Partly because when buying it I was not all that sure as to whether this was a live show or the concept movie it turned out to be. So, I don't know what I thought a concept movie was, but I didn't think it would be like this.
If you like the sound of listening to the Out There album with picures of spaceships and alien landscapes going on in the background then I'm sure this is for you. Only, re-reading that it doesn't sound to bad. I'll tell you the sort of thing that happens. One songs visuals consist of a lot of odd machines (possibly pumps) just, sort of doing their thing on a plain boring landscape. I'm sorry but for me it just isn't worth the money. Just buy the CD is my advise.
The only redeeming factor is the extra, a documentary of behind the scenes at the tour, and some interviews with Mr Wakeman. Even then, I'm sure they could have fitted some more extras on, perhaps one of the songs live, oh well. So to sum it all up- if you like the sound of the above get it, if not, steer clear. There are better Wakeman DVD's out their. Just do Quicksearch DVD - Rick Wakeman and you'll have a good few to choose from.

Madness: Take It Or Leave It [DVD]
Madness: Take It Or Leave It [DVD]
Dvd ~ Madness

4.0 out of 5 stars TAKE IT ot leave it, 2 Jun 2004
Nifty title eh!
To be honest, when I bought this I thought it was a live concert (my own stupidity!) and was a bit dissapointed to find out it was a movie. In all honesty I still am a bit, but it is a damned interesing dissapointment. It sort of brings you down to reality (mixed metaphor) that the famous 7 nutty boys had to earn their place in the public eye. That is by the way what the movie is about- how they formed and started having gigs etc.
I must say (well, not really MUST but it sounds more assertive)that if you want a movie/music DVD that I suggest you by the Who's Quadrophenia (probably spelt wrong) as it is better acted. Nothing against the nutters, only, come on, they're not going to win best actors awards are they?
Anyaway, all in all Take it or Leave it is well worth the money as it is interesing and a good laugh.
Phew, another review done.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
by Douglas Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS (sorry, couldn't think of a witty title!), 2 Jun 2004
First of all I would like to say that I'm not the sort of person who needs everything to make sense to enjoy something (I'm a Doctor Who fan for Christs sake!) so that is something that helps me love this book.
Mr Adams was (and boy do I hate saying was) a master craftsman. He could be intelligent, witty and plain wierd at the same time and still have room for a bit of sentimentality.
I'm pretty confident that if you're reading this then you have enjoyed another of Mr Adams works. In which case I'm sure that you will delight in reading this as it is in the same style as many of his other books. It is fair to compare it to the Hitchhiker series as it is done in much the same vain. In my opinion it is as good as the aforementioned. Yes so the ending doesn't totally fit everyones perspective of great, but it suits me. It's full of lots of ideas that didn't neccessarily works out, but for me that is just as great; trying to work out what Mr Adams had as alternate plots. Even though the title charactor doesn't turn up till a good half way in, his soon to be friend, Richard Macduff does a good enough job of entertaining us. One to one, I strongly reccomend this to any other Adams fan, and for that matter any other fan of literature. It is truely great, as is its sequal.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds: JEFF WAYNE'S MUSICAL VERSION OF
Offered by Media Vortex
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC, 30 May 2004
I am still only 15, but I heard this when I was nine, and thought it was the best thing since chocolate. It introduced me to many, many other albums and bands. I owe it all to Jeff Wayne, and also to Rick Wakeman as I soon after heard his Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
This is a very powerful album in many respects, not only for it's famous narration by Richard Burton and its even more famous DUM DUM DUMMM, DUM DUM DUMMM, you get the picture. (I hope!) I truly believe that anyone who likes any form of music from the 70's will like this. I wont pretend that todays younger generation will appreciate it as the masterpiece it is, but all the rest of us should proudly own a copy of 'JEFF WAYNES MUSICAL VERSION OF THE WAR OF THE WORLDS.' It's a true classic, up their with Mozart and Haydn, well done Jeff! H.G. Wells would be proud.

Page: 1 | 2