Profile for staddel > Reviews

staddel

1000 Years of Annoying the French
1000 Years of Annoying the French
by Stephen Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars A funny book but definitely not a history book!!!, 29 Dec. 2013
As a French who has been living in UK for more than 8 years and is absolutely loving it, I found this book (obviously) slightly irritating but actually very funny. But it is not the point. Clearly, the author has to mention this book is a comic one but not an history one. When Clarke is making fun about French people using all the stupid cliches and making a book out of it, why not (I would be the first to do it and the book is funny), but when the same author wants to start doing history, it is a big JOKE!!! The book contains no references (saying that references are too long to read is not an excuse) and if I understood the book well, French are liar, arrogant, stupid, brainless, violent, non-romantic and completely ignorant about their own history. Mr Clarke, I am sorry but we French know that William the Conqueror was Norman and not French, we assume that Azincourt was a terrible defeat and we perfectly heard that Napoleon lost in Waterloo. We are not that proud! But again, entertaining book for people who doesnt know history.
PS: One horrible mistake about Joan of Arc, she was of course trial by French but French bought by English and in an English territory!!! The English wanted Joan to be burned as a witch! No mention in the book of course...Yes Mr Clarke syaing that French did it is a bit easy, history is a bit more complicated than that!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 6:39 PM GMT