Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, UK)

JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
by David Flanagan

3.0 out of 5 stars bad index and poor examples, 2 Feb 2011
I'm not an expert in JavaScript. I've done some code based on snippets found on the internet. I bought this book because I wanted to improve my knowledge and have a handy reference.

The book is very good on giving you an overview about the ideas and the possibilities of JavaScript. You'll get a good knowledge about JavaScript if you work your way through it from the beginning to the end but it fails when it comes to the practical work. There are two main reasons for it:

first: The examples are not good. There are mostly too long ad often not really instructive. You'll always find much better examples in the first one or two Google results.

second: The index is very badly made. At least in the fifth edition many page numbers are simply wrong. You often have to turn a couple of pages back or forth to find what you were actually looking for. The other drawback is that the index doesn't specify the main entry - it just lists the occurences of the keyword.

Kodak Z700 Digital Camera [4MP, 5 x Optical Zoom]
Kodak Z700 Digital Camera [4MP, 5 x Optical Zoom]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photos, 1 Jun 2006
Colours and sharpness of the images are excellent. A big plus is that you can fine tune almost everything by hand, which was nice for me as I switched only recently to fully automatic cameras and still do not trust the built in programs completely.

The only negative point I found is that it consumes batteries extremely fast. You should always carry some spare ones.